xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: MAME v0.72 WIP Videos  (Read 1583 times)

Tulius

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »

For just you all know, the Xbox360 CPU isn't that powerful, it relies heavily on GPU to make all that graphic fuzzy. PS3 is the same case, but SPU's processors helps the Cell to do the work. So to make long story short: Xenon CPU (Xbox360) or Cell(PS3) alone can't compete with an old processor like a Pentium 4  2.0 GHZ.... sad but true sad.gif

infidelity

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »

lantus. Are there any chances of this project being developed for the PS3? Thank you for wanting to bring the MK arcades to they're full potential on MAME. KI got love back in the day with a dedicated emu, and now MK finally gets its due love! Thank you!!

Chan163

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tulius @ May 25 2011, 11:01 PM) View Post

For just you all know, the Xbox360 CPU isn't that powerful, it relies heavily on GPU to make all that graphic fuzzy. PS3 is the same case, but SPU's processors helps the Cell to do the work. So to make long story short: Xenon CPU (Xbox360) or Cell(PS3) alone can't compete with an old processor like a Pentium 4  2.0 GHZ.... sad but true sad.gif

Sorry, I don't believe that's true. Pentium4 was Netburst-Architecture, which was unbelievably inefficient in terms of computing power vs. clocking, whereas the PowerPC was always pretty good with that. In the times of P4 the Mac for example was still on PowerPC and they competed pretty good in computing power with ONE core vs the P4. They got more work done with lower clocking. The 360 has THREE PPC cores which are even more advanced than the ones in the older Macs (like two threads per core, some extensions and much higher clock rates). Do you honestly want to make me believe that a Netburst P4 is faster than the Xenon CPU?

But even if it was true what you say, MK games ran not that bad on MAMEox on original Xbox, they were playable, with a 700MHz P3 and 64MB of RAM. My question is (and it's a real question out of interest, not to diss the coder): Why are those old speedhacks needed on much faster hardware like the 360?

Also, wouldn't it be possible to add the speedhacks to the newest MAME sources for the 360 again?

Just to say it again: I have a lot of respect for lantus, doing what he does. It's a pity that there are so few homebrew devs for the 360. I mean it's not bad hardware, is it? Where are all the homebrew games, apps and stuff? Where's the Media Center? smile.gif FSD, Freeboot, Dashlaunch and lantus' emulators, that's basically it. And lantus takes a long time to release stuff, I guess because he's alone on all those emulator projects. I guess if he could focus on ONE project (more devs to spread the projects to), it could be done in much shorter time and optimized so that old hacks wouldn't be needed...

leo5150

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

first release in a week........ that was stated 3 days ago but i does not feel like 3 days have passed it feels like only half a day has passed :-X waiting sucks

so with any hope we will have a release for the weekend wow im going to get hammered and play ULTMKIII all weekend~~~!

Tulius

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chan163 @ May 26 2011, 06:56 PM) View Post

Sorry, I don't believe that's true. Pentium4 was Netburst-Architecture, which was unbelievably inefficient in terms of computing power vs. clocking, whereas the PowerPC was always pretty good with that. In the times of P4 the Mac for example was still on PowerPC and they competed pretty good in computing power with ONE core vs the P4. They got more work done with lower clocking. The 360 has THREE PPC cores which are even more advanced than the ones in the older Macs (like two threads per core, some extensions and much higher clock rates). Do you honestly want to make me believe that a Netburst P4 is faster than the Xenon CPU?

But even if it was true what you say, MK games ran not that bad on MAMEox on original Xbox, they were playable, with a 700MHz P3 and 64MB of RAM. My question is (and it's a real question out of interest, not to diss the coder): Why are those old speedhacks needed on much faster hardware like the 360?

See this link to read a little of the history about how IBM, Microsoft and Sony cut cost of their PowerPC CPUs processors:

http://forum.teamxbo...p/t-358030.html

These lines are pretty interesting:

`Right now, from what we’ve heard, the real-world performance of the Xenon CPU is about twice that of the 733MHz processor in the first Xbox. Considering that this CPU is supposed to power the Xbox 360 for the next 4 - 5 years, it’s nothing short of disappointing. To put it in perspective, floating point multiplies are apparently 1/3 as fast on Xenon as on a Pentium 4.

The reason for the poor performance? The very narrow 2-issue in-order core also happens to be very deeply pipelined, apparently with a branch predictor that’s not the best in the business. In the end, you get what you pay for, and with such a small core, it’s no surprise that performance isn’t anywhere near the Athlon 64 or Pentium 4 class
`

Hope  this clears the subject  sleep.gif

brandogg

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »

The guy who copied and pasted that into the thread you linked to basically says it's kind of bullshit a couple posts further down. Just saying. And when you look at games like Crysis 2 (and MAME is no Crysis 2), it's pretty obvious that "roughly twice the power of the 733Mhz Celeron in the Xbox" can be quite powerful. I'd love to see someone get Crysis 2 running on a P4 with a 6 year old GeForce GPU comparable to the one in the Xbox 360, with 256MB RAM.

Edit - also keep in mind that the forum post that copied and pasted the (now removed) Anandtech article was from before the Xbox 360 was even released.

leo5150

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(lantus @ May 27 2011, 10:57 PM) View Post

I dont have much interest in a PS3 port. Its just a horrible environment to develop on. FBANext on PS3 was like pulling teeth. The same codebase for both 360/PS3 and the 360 version smokes it in performance.

So - no - not from me at least. I will release the code so someone else could take it on

as far as later versions of mame - dont think i havent tried. I've got a 0.141u2 port running on the 360. The performance is terrible. We lose 30fps in MK2. All the changes made to mame over the years have been highly inefficient on anything other than an intel cpu. And now with the conversion to C++. its even worse. Of course i could spend a few weeks optimizing the codebase to make it run faster but that would make it quite difficult to maintain. New mame updates come out every 3-4 weeks.

I just wanted to have the MK games running at good speeds on my 360. 0.70 mame is the best path to take regarding that.

leo - its about a week, give or take..just sit tight

Carch - hi!@

thanks for keeping us updated man keep it going! one other question do you know if the game "Golden Axe: the revenge of death adder" works without the graphic glitches?? all attempts to get it working on xbox 1 emulators seem to fail i would be honored to test for you and compile a COMPLETE compatibility list for you for i am off the next 2 days nothing would give me more pleasure smile.gif

And i think the reason why we lose so much fps with an updated mame is because i think the code keeps getting more and more messed up with each update as they try to make more higher demanding games work like tekken, marvel vs capcom 2 etc etc

Nemo1985X

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(lantus @ May 27 2011, 04:57 PM) View Post

. I've got a 0.141u2 port running on the 360. The performance is terrible.

Interesting!  blink.gif "the performance  is terrible" Does that encompass all drivers, or just midway?

brandogg

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »

I would imagine that the performance in general is terrible, though the MK games (and some others that were using "speed hacks" back in the day probably got it a lot worse than others. Remember a while back MAME was a 16-bit somewhat CPU-independent program, now it's a 32-bit x86-specific program, and the ports to other hardware that used to pop up left and right have all but died off. Thanks lantus, I pretty much only want MK to work anyway, so to me, this is probably the best thing to happen to homebrew since XBMC.

BlueSlingShot

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

Yes it seems like older versions of MAME have much better speed, hell i remember when T2 Judgement Day ran at full speed on my older Celeron 466, that was back in 1998 though. That's the Midway driver too, I believe.

problem_child

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »

I know what you mean, the first thing I want to try is Juggernaut's umk3 hack as well as other games to see if they work.

leo5150

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(problem_child @ May 29 2011, 10:59 PM) View Post

I know what you mean, the first thing I want to try is Juggernaut's umk3 hack as well as other games to see if they work.

what hack?? never heard of it

problem_child

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

IPB Image

leo5150

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(problem_child @ May 30 2011, 06:25 AM) View Post

IPB Image

SWEEET do they have there own fatalities ?

infidelity

• Archived User
MAME v0.72 WIP Videos
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »

Thank you for answering my question lantus. I only ask cause imo, i consider the PS3 as the new xbox1, with that systen being more avaiable to softmod, than the very limited jtag 360 community thats out there. Any chance of a 141 port being released?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4