xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Howto: Mame360 With Large Rom Collections  (Read 99 times)

p4r0l3

• Archived User
Howto: Mame360 With Large Rom Collections
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

I had to figure this out on my own, it's somewhat trivial, but hasn't been posted before.

If you have a large collection of ROMS for Mame AND are using an internal 360 hdd, you will find that there is a 4096 file limit per directory.

Now, by default, Mame360 uses the Roms directory in the folder containing MAME360.xex

To use your full collection (>4096 roms), you'll need to edit options.ini within the Media folder.

Here's my options.ini. What you will need to do is put the first 4096 roms in your Roms folder, create a new folder, e.g. Roms2, Roms3, etc. to hold all of your roms in subsequent directories.

Mame360 will accept stringing directories together via semicolon on your rompath variable.
I've only tried this on an internal hdd running fatx, but I imagine you could use the same logic to allow loading via usb and internal hdd too.

Here's my working options.ini:
CODE

rompath = game:\Roms;game:\Roms2;game:\Roms3
samplepath = game:\samples
cfg_directory = game:\cfg
nvram_directory = game:\nvram
memcard_directory = game:\memcard
input_directory = game:\inp
state_directory = game:\sta
artpath = game:\artwork
snapshot_directory = game:\snap
diff_directory = game:\diff
ctrlrpath = game:\ctrlr
comment_directory = game:\comments
cheat_file = game:\cheat.dat
title_path = game:\titles

autoframeskip = 0

Hope this helps someone who otherwise would have to cut down their collection to fit fatx restrictions!

NOTE: if you're on usb, you could get around this by using a filesystem the 360 recognizes but doesn't have a 4096 file/directory limit.

dschu012

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

Cool, but does the 360 version even support over 4096 roms? I know it is a relatively old port of MAME that doesn't support nearly as many roms as the current version does.

p4r0l3

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

Yes, sadly the 360 version is a couple years outdated. But MAME has been a strong emulator for years!
If 1.35 supports 122217 total roms (yes most are clones/variants), Its doubtful that 1.12 supports 116000 less

loopez

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »

thx for tip - can manage the collection now

switched to mame360 xex ( for FSD ) and now when i start something - mem goes blank... any ideas where to trouboleshoot ?

This post has been edited by loopez: Apr 8 2010, 07:15 PM

p4r0l3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(loopez @ Apr 8 2010, 01:14 PM) View Post

thx for tip - can manage the collection now

switched to mame360 xex ( for FSD ) and now when i start something - mem goes blank... any ideas where to trouboleshoot ?

Does MAME360 start up successfully and get to the ROM list? If problem occurs when you try to launch a game I'd check my ROMS. If your roms don't show up or MAME360 doesn't start, look at your options.ini and ensure there are no problems. I've not used the LIVE version of MAME360, but perhaps there is lingering data conflicting with your XEX version. Try deleting the unknown game save on NXE and try again.