xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Backup Game Saves By Putting 360 Hdd In Laptop?  (Read 35 times)

jbudman92

• Archived User
Backup Game Saves By Putting 360 Hdd In Laptop?
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »

Hi, I'm new to the forums here, but I've read a lot of posts on this site when I needed help with something. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to remove the 2.5" HDD from the 360, and put it in my laptop directly so I could backup my game saves and other data. I don't have the money for a transfer kit, or SATA to USB adapter. I just want to take out the HDD that is currently in my laptop, and put my 20gb 360 HDD in its place. I've tried it before, and booted into Ubuntu from a live CD hoping that it would give me access to the HDD, but it didn't. I also have a linux installation on a flash drive. I know that there are programs for windows to do this kind of thing, but they all use a SATA or USB connection. Plus I'd have no way to boot into windows if my 360 HDD was in my laptop because I only have 1 HDD slot in my laptop. If there is no way to do this through linux, is there some sort of program that i can put on a CD and use as a boot disk to access the hard drive? Is there a way I can put the 360 HDD in my laptop, and connect my laptop to my Desktop via Ethernet or Firewire, and make the 360 drive show up on my desktop as a network drive? I know I'm going out on a limb with all these ideas, I'm just trying to write all my ideas down so maybe one of them might actually work.
Thanks in advance for any replies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

P.S.
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forums, or broke any rules. I have never been a member of a forum until very recently, so please excuse my n00bishness.

Sunblood

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(jbudman92 @ Jan 12 2010, 04:32 AM) View Post

Hi, I'm new to the forums here, but I've read a lot of posts on this site when I needed help with something. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to remove the 2.5" HDD from the 360, and put it in my laptop directly so I could backup my game saves and other data. I don't have the money for a transfer kit, or SATA to USB adapter. I just want to take out the HDD that is currently in my laptop, and put my 20gb 360 HDD in its place. I've tried it before, and booted into Ubuntu from a live CD hoping that it would give me access to the HDD, but it didn't. I also have a linux installation on a flash drive. I know that there are programs for windows to do this kind of thing, but they all use a SATA or USB connection. Plus I'd have no way to boot into windows if my 360 HDD was in my laptop because I only have 1 HDD slot in my laptop. If there is no way to do this through linux, is there some sort of program that i can put on a CD and use as a boot disk to access the hard drive? Is there a way I can put the 360 HDD in my laptop, and connect my laptop to my Desktop via Ethernet or Firewire, and make the 360 drive show up on my desktop as a network drive? I know I'm going out on a limb with all these ideas, I'm just trying to write all my ideas down so maybe one of them might actually work.
Thanks in advance for any replies biggrin.gif

P.S.
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forums, or broke any rules. I have never been a member of a forum until very recently, so please excuse my n00bishness.

360 drives aren't formatted in a way that a regular computer can see it without extra tools. If you can find a Linux tool that lets you view FATX drives, that may work.

jbudman92

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sunblood @ Jan 12 2010, 12:57 PM) View Post

360 drives aren't formatted in a way that a regular computer can see it without extra tools. If you can find a Linux tool that lets you view FATX drives, that may work.

Thanks for the reply, but I already knew that much tongue.gif I just cant find anything that does that. I've seen posts about people accessing their XBOX 1 HDDs in Linux, but I don't know if it would work the same for a 360. I know both use the FATX file system, but thats about all I know.