xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: NAND Compare and Reconstruction Tool v1.2  (Read 227 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
NAND Compare and Reconstruction Tool v1.2
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 16 19:31 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Rab released a nice tool to check/verify your Xbox 360 NAND dumps and potentially even repair them if you have at least 3 'bad' dumps:

the tool has two functions:

- compare 2 nand images
better than simply using md5 as it tells you which blocks are mismatched, which allows you to reread only those that are in error rather than the entire chip (speeding up the process)
one use of this is when verifying a write by reading back the nand and comparing it against the original you wrote, if you get a bad block just reread that individual block, patch it into the full read and compare again (files are reread each time you click compare, no need to reselect the same files in the gui)

- reconstruct image from 3 bad reads
assumes that read errors don't occur in same place each time, which is true for some read errors (e.g. lpt timing problems), if there is a good reason why you can't read something then this may not be true
this tool cannot recreate a nand out of nothing, if you give it 3 files full of zeros you'll get a recreated nand full of zeros, always look at a dump to make sure it looks correct (e.g. has a microsoft copyright at the top, once you've reconstructed a nand open it in 360 flash tool and make sure it reads ok there)
the tool works by comparing blocks between the 3 files, any block found matching in 2 (or 3) of the files will be considered good, you will be warned if not all blocks can be recovered, in which case you'll need to get more reads or look for a good reason why your reads are so bad

1.2 (2009/12/15)
- support for 256mb nand
- use correct block size for 256/512mb nand (0x20000 + ecc)
- added progress bar
1.1 (2009/12/13)
- support for 512mb nand (assumes same block size as 16mb)
1.0 (2009/12/12)
- first release

Official Site: n/a, by Rab at XBH
Download: here

AtlantaMods

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »

seems like HB is comming along good

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

Sweet. This app will make things a tad easier when everything doesn't match up.
Thanx, Rab!

This post has been edited by HotKnife420: Dec 17 2009, 04:56 AM

bizzle182

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »

now just need a tool that will rebuild a findsecdata for those unfortunate ones that played our console too much after being band and overwrote the a good one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

modslave

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »

This is a sweet little app for people with larger Nand's

Reading only the blocks that don't match for comparison is a must when not using usb!

Cheers Rab much appreciated, and well done implementing requests so quick

This post has been edited by modslave: Dec 17 2009, 10:51 AM

raburton

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »

No problem. I'm still a bit unsure about the block size for the large nands though. I don't have access to any of them to test against.

Really this tool needs to match it's block numbering up against nandpro, which it does for 16mb nands. The questions is, even if the big nands really use larger blocks, does nandpro operate using larger blocks (hence do my numbers really match up). If anyone can give me a definitive answer I'll happily make sure the tool matches.

Can anyone with a larger nand tell me how many blocks nandpro reads it in, and how large (in bytes) a read of a single block is.

rab.

Poopchute

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

Thank you Rab for your hard work.  This is VERY much appreciated by the 256/512 Jasper people...

Chemodile

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »

Hah, I actually did this manually a few days ago, would have come in handy then.

QUOTE(raburton @ Dec 17 2009, 05:28 AM) *

No problem. I'm still a bit unsure about the block size for the large nands though. I don't have access to any of them to test against.

Really this tool needs to match it's block numbering up against nandpro, which it does for 16mb nands. The questions is, even if the big nands really use larger blocks, does nandpro operate using larger blocks (hence do my numbers really match up). If anyone can give me a definitive answer I'll happily make sure the tool matches.

Can anyone with a larger nand tell me how many blocks nandpro reads it in, and how large (in bytes) a read of a single block is.

rab.

Dumping a single block from my 512mb nand in nandpro 4.0b gives me a file that is 16,896 bytes long. Full dump goes to 0x007FFF.

This post has been edited by Chemodile: Dec 17 2009, 08:56 PM

ChrishX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

512mb nand has 0x8000 (0x0000-0x7FFF) block of 0x4200 size each, which makes 0x21000000 blocks. this is including the ecc data.
a nice feature would be to pass the blocks, that are not matching, directly to nandpro and let it read them again. should be possible to call an exe-file from within another program.

supes

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

Hey guys I was just wondering so does this essentially allow xbr to work on the big block jaspers or am I missing something?

ChrishX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

you are missing something.
this has absolutely nothing to do with xbreboot or freeboot.

APE

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

I had the thought of making something like this a few days ago as I only have 5 bad dumps of my NAND and it now boots to E71 due to a bad flashing of xell.

Reconstructed a NAND dump that now doesn't crash anything I open it up in, will try to flash it and see if my 360 likes it and report back. Sweetness!

NitrousXBX

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »

Thanks for the app, nice to have tools for my 256  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

APE

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »

So after mixing up 3 NAND dumps I have fully decrypted it with my CPU key and have it all laid out nicely. Tried to inject the keyvault into an XBReebot image for my Zephyr but it either displays E71, E79, or starts booting with the animation, corrupts and drops into E71. After fixing Degraded via a quick hex edit I found 3 bad blocks in the 2nd dump I had which aren't present in the other 2 I used to create a reconstructed NAND dump.

Flashing a fixed XBR with the bad blocks remapped and the keyvault injected right now. Great tool but it doesn't take into account what could be bad blocks that cause a differential between dumps....not sure if this is taken into account or I'm being a moron.

raburton

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chemodile @ Dec 17 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Dumping a single block from my 512mb nand in nandpro 4.0b gives me a file that is 16,896 bytes long. Full dump goes to 0x007FFF.

QUOTE(ChrishX @ Dec 17 2009, 10:14 PM) *

512mb nand has 0x8000 (0x0000-0x7FFF) block of 0x4200 size each, which makes 0x21000000 blocks. this is including the ecc data.

Ok then, so it looks like my change to larger blocks in v1.2 was incorrect, the numbers won't match nandpro for the larger nands. The compare & reconstruct features will work perfectly well, just the numbers displayed won't match nandpro (hence if you use those numbers to make reads with nandpro you won't actually be reading the right part). I'll fix that asap.