xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: 360 Modification Disc v1.6  (Read 1012 times)

xybernauts

• Archived User
360 Modification Disc v1.6
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 2 2009, 03:55 PM) *

It should be out later today. smile.gif

BTW, can you boot the newest v1.6 version? Or does it just affect the older versions?

It seems to be the newest version of the mod disc; v1.6.

I have two older model PCs. One was a Compaq Pentium 3 and the other was a Dell Pentium 4. I used to use the Compaq PC to mod disc drives, but the Compaq no longer works for some reason. But I have modded 360's in the past. I just never did it with the Dell pc.

xybernauts

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »

I got the disc to boot in my Dell PC. It seems I made the mistake of burning the 360 mod disc v1.6 ISO onto a DVD. I burnt the disc a second time onto a CD and now it works; kinda. It boots, but only intermittently. I usually have to try several times to get it to work.

xybernauts

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

Sorry to triple post.

The flashing process didn't go smoothly for me though. The disc would get stuck in the beginning. I'd see the intro to Freedos.  If i don't press anything it'd just stall. I'd see a brief line of instruction that would flash on the screen and then disappear. I'd say to press f5 to skip and f8 to go to options so I pressed f5, I'd type 'dir', and entered the commands manually. (this is off the top of my head so It's possible I switched the commands)

I think I successfully flashed the drive. I mean that's what the app said, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm a little skeptical because of the way I went through the process. I actually tried to flash the drive twice. The second time I don't even think the 360 was on when it said it flashed successfully.

Frosty, it'd be great if you could add a way to verify what firmware is on the 360's drive. It'd certainly give me peace of mind. Just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there. Still think this is a really great app though. Keep it frosty, Frosty.

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »

What do you mean? You would like to know what firmware is on the drive? It is obviously ix-1.6 if you use '360 modification disc v1.6'

xybernauts

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ Jun 3 2009, 02:28 PM) *

What do you mean? You would like to know what firmware is on the drive? It is obviously ix-1.6 if you use '360 modification disc v1.6'

I know what firmware is on the disc. I'm saying I'm want a way to confirm whether or not the firmware actually installed onto the drive. I feel, based on my experience that homebrew apps (is that the right use of the word) in general are a little glitch. My fear is that the firmware didn't actually install onto the drive, despite the confirmation. I had a lot of problems using the app, like I said before.

xybernauts

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

So, like I said before, I wasn't sure if the DVD firmware was successfully flashed so I made a game backup with 3rd wave and tried it in my 360. I've read that backups with 3rd wave will not be playable if you have firmware v1.4 or less. I've read that instead you'll see a XBox 360 logo. That basically is the gist of what happened to me. The disc didn't boot into the game and I saw the 360 logo instead. To make sure I didn't accidentally damage my 360 I put in an older backup without 3rd wave and it was able to work flawlessly.

So far I'm able to boot with the CD version of 360 Mod disc v1.6. I'm able to select the location of the via controller. I don't select a port because I'm trying to flash a Samsung M25. I type in the command 'samsung'. I make a folder for the firmware backup. I usually get stuck at the actual flashing. Basically I get a set of instructions telling you to press enter, to type 'yes', and to hit the enter key again, and then to powercycle your 360 (unplug the M25 and plug it back in after 5 sec). I keep getting error messages. Either the disc freezes  at a line of code or it does not flash successfully and it tells me the flash failed. I'm not sure how to time the powercycle of the xbox 360 will flash the drive. I tried waiting 5 sec after I press yes and enter. I tried starting the powercycle before I hit yes then enter and then starting the powercycle, nothing.

I also tried to use Jungleflasher and I seem to have the exact same powercylce problem. In the samsung section, the program recognizes my 360. I hit device ID, and i then try to powercycle, but i can't get the program to get into vendor mode.

Can anyone give me any advice? Also, when you enter the command yes, are you just supposed to type the letter 'Y' and then hit enter or are you supposed to type out the actual word 'YES' and then hit enter?

I'm starting to feel like I'm having a conversation with myself.

shinra_rule

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

Can I use 360 Modification USB v1.6 on a Xbox360 console that has not been modified in anyway? Or do I need to first flash my drive firmware with 1.5 then use the 360 Modification USB v1.6 ?

Frosty do you think I should wait for your newest release? Thanks

comeonesticks

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(MaD_mAnIaC @ May 17 2009, 09:12 PM) View Post

for me what makes this disk great, is the hability to just take my via card and frosty's cd to my friends home and mod the system there without having to worry about OS/drivers on the computer... i've used frosty's disk and my vt6421a card on several computers, and had 100% success so far. files write correctly to hdd, and drive flashed without any kind of errors. i've only flashed benq and samsung drives so far, and i can't complain about anything. tkx frosty

You don't need other tools like special cables?

I was wondering if intel chipsets built in sata slots can be used....

ron6399

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 2 2009, 10:55 AM) View Post

It should be out later today. smile.gif

BTW, can you boot the newest v1.6 version? Or does it just affect the older versions?

Frosty, is the updated 1.6 disc out yet as my compaq machine just displays 3 dots and hangs with the current v1.6???

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(ron6399 @ Jun 6 2009, 09:47 AM) View Post

Frosty, is the updated 1.6 disc out yet as my compaq machine just displays 3 dots and hangs with the current v1.6???

It will be out tomorrow for sure, many small bugs related to boot drive letters and DOS compatibilty have been brought to my attention recently, so I needed to correct those before release.

Also, the USB drive version has been taking a lot of my time too... smile.gif

But the official release time will be tomorrow, before midnight. Sorry about the delay...

xybernauts

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(comeonesticks @ Jun 6 2009, 08:17 AM) *

You don't need other tools like special cables?

I was wondering if intel chipsets built in sata slots can be used....

I think this is what you looking for. It's a list of other chipsets that worked for flashing 360 dvd drives. It's a Compatible motherboard/PCIcard thread

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=593698

I was able to use my motherboards  NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI chipset to flash my x360's MS25 dvd drive.

QUOTE(ron6399 @ Jun 6 2009, 11:47 AM) *

I was having the exact same problem with my Compaq Pentium 4 system. In the end I was forced to use my newer PC, which i didn't want to do, but in the end it was worth it.

In the end I actually flash my 360 with Jungleflasher. I tried to do it with the 360 modification disc 1.6, but it almost bricked my 360.

I was able to get the 360 mod disc to easily boot and detect my X360 easily. I successfully got it to read my x360 and to 'spoof' (I think that's the right word) the drive key. But after the disc successfully erased my drive the disc froze. While I had a copy of the original firmware and the modded firmware made by the 360 mod disc app on my hard drive, I couldn't find a way to get the program to navigate to the folder which contained the OFW and the FW with the drive key on it. If it did i could have probably unbricked my 360 DVD drive easily.

After a day or two of troubleshooting I defaulted to using Jungleflasher which gives you the ability to select the original firmware and the hacked firmware you are going to use. It was alot easier to use in the end. In addition to being able to navigate to the source firmware and modded firmware you want to use, in addition you aren't forced to reboot after each retry. The 360 mod disc seems to freeze alot, at least for me. While I'm sure the 360 mod disc is a great program, it just didn't work out for me.

Just a little constructive criticism. The 360 mod disc really would be great if it also had a way to navigate to the source firmware you want to use. By creating a way to tell the program which source firmware you want to use (i.e. reading a copy directly from x360 drive or using a backup copy on your hard drive) people who accidentally brick their system can use backup firmware to potentially fix their system. This is important because in my case I couldn't use the firmware on my 360 because it had been erased. This would potentially make the mod disc a great unbricking tool.  

Also it would be great if their was a way to skip the reading stage and to jump directly to the writing stage on the mod disc. If you already have a copy of the OFW and the modded firmware then jumping directly to the write stage would be really convenient.  I know it's alot to ask, but i think constructive critique is the cornerstone of any great enterprise. In the end adding these features might help alot of people who accidentally brick their 360's drives.

Potatoes89

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »

I'm in need of some help Frosty  sad.gif . Tonight I attempted to flash my benq drive using you 360 mod disc V1.6 and am having issues post flash. First, I have no backup files. both the iextreme.bin and orig.bin were created but they contain no information, and are 0 bytes each. I then attempted to insert an original (store bought) disc into the xbox and encountered an onscreen message stating, "to play this game, insert it into an xbox360 console". I assure you I don't hold you responsible for anything, nor am I claiming fault with your program (I could surely do no better) but I am stuck here  dry.gif .

time for a more direct question. I have a DVD drive key that the boot disc gave me during it's process b366cee128a3714527ec8a7781daa42f. Is this a valid key? Is it one the boot disc defaulted to after some error? Did I just brick my system?

I realize your time is devoted to the USB version at the moment but I'd appreciate the help  biggrin.gif

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(xybernauts @ Jun 7 2009, 12:22 AM) View Post
Just a little constructive criticism. The 360 mod disc really would be great if it also had a way to navigate to the source firmware you want to use. By creating a way to tell the program which source firmware you want to use (i.e. reading a copy directly from x360 drive or using a backup copy on your hard drive) people who accidentally brick their system can use backup firmware to potentially fix their system. This is important because in my case I couldn't use the firmware on my 360 because it had been erased. This would potentially make the mod disc a great unbricking tool.  

Also it would be great if their was a way to skip the reading stage and to jump directly to the writing stage on the mod disc. If you already have a copy of the OFW and the modded firmware then jumping directly to the write stage would be really convenient.  I know it's alot to ask, but i think constructive critique is the cornerstone of any great enterprise. In the end adding these features might help alot of people who accidentally brick their 360's drives.

Actually, this feature is going to be included in the next release. happy.gif

Many users have requested this, so it has been added. smile.gif

QUOTE(Potatoes89 @ Jun 7 2009, 04:34 AM) View Post

I'm in need of some help Frosty  sad.gif . Tonight I attempted to flash my benq drive using you 360 mod disc V1.6 and am having issues post flash. First, I have no backup files. both the iextreme.bin and orig.bin were created but they contain no information, and are 0 bytes each. I then attempted to insert an original (store bought) disc into the xbox and encountered an onscreen message stating, "to play this game, insert it into an xbox360 console". I assure you I don't hold you responsible for anything, nor am I claiming fault with your program (I could surely do no better) but I am stuck here  dry.gif .

time for a more direct question. I have a DVD drive key that the boot disc gave me during it's process b366cee128a3714527ec8a7781daa42f. Is this a valid key? Is it one the boot disc defaulted to after some error? Did I just brick my system?

I realize your time is devoted to the USB version at the moment but I'd appreciate the help  biggrin.gif

Sounds like your NTFS HDD didn't get the files copied on to it correctly, which is not the fault of your HDD, it's a flaw in the NTFS driver on my disc...

Have you tried using the USB version of my disc? It is a lot more reliable. (because it copies the firmware files on to the USB drive instead of your HDD)

Aside from all that though, thank GOD you wrote down that key, otherwise your Lite-On drive would have been bricked.

I will construct a new firmware file for you to flash on to your 360, PM me with your e-mail address so I can send it to you.

ron6399

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 6 2009, 03:23 PM) *

It will be out tomorrow for sure, many small bugs related to boot drive letters and DOS compatibilty have been brought to my attention recently, so I needed to correct those before release.

Also, the USB drive version has been taking a lot of my time too... smile.gif

But the official release time will be tomorrow, before midnight. Sorry about the delay...

No problem Frosty, I was just making sure the update wasn't out, and I missed it. Thanks , and we all appreciate your efforts.

whitemouse

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »

where is the donation link, do you get it after a successful write?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11