xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 360 Modification Disc v1.51  (Read 1373 times)

jkrohn1

• Archived User
360 Modification Disc v1.51
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »

Is the VIA  6421 required to use the disc or are some other sata supported? i do have a VIA sata in another pc in my loft but i was just gonna use my current setup an Nforce 4? Thanks for your previous response frosty. Still waiting for my new ck3 hope it gets here soon.

kronas

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »

hello all, does this work with a hitachi drive ? if not what does and how do i do it, im new to all of this

thanks in advance  tongue.gif

tvdang7

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(jkrohn1 @ Mar 10 2009, 03:15 PM) View Post

Is the VIA  6421 required to use the disc or are some other sata supported? i do have a VIA sata in another pc in my loft but i was just gonna use my current setup an Nforce 4? Thanks for your previous response frosty. Still waiting for my new ck3 hope it gets here soon.

I wanna know this as well. i have a p35- ds3l which would be an ich9 chipset and im waiting for my connectivity kit to come in.

stutterman

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Mar 8 2009, 07:43 AM) View Post

It's a boot disc. You need to insert the disc into your PC, then reboot your PC, then boot into the disc and follow the instructions. The file structure of the disc resides in the boot sectors of the disc, and not in the normal Joilet file system. This is intentional, and is my new method for this release.

If you insert the disc into your PC with Windows running, all you will see is the Readme file, the Lite-On Serial Cable diagram, and the instructions to find your VT6421's port.  happy.gif

hi dos any 1 no if this work's. as i use iprep

logicwatch

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(logicwatch @ Mar 10 2009, 12:34 AM) View Post

frosty I have just done the via drivers fix to portIO32 for using jungleflasher with my via 6421 card for hitachi drives I wondered
will this affect the ability to use your disc going forward if I wish to flash another benq ?
or do I  have to revert back to the old via driver again ?

thanks in advance

frosty can you please confirm the above before I flash another benq ?

DuggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

does this now dump the serial info correctly?. 1.50 was used to dump my lite on and checking in JF show'd that there was missing serial data. I had to reconstruct via the labels on the drive which was a PIA, thankfully I could do that but the question is, is this still an issue?

for the guys above, this disc is standalone and has nothing to do with PORTIO, does not need/use it.

Birdietime

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »

I just flashed my benq using this and worked fine. It didn't work at first because the NTFS for dos wouldn't save to my sata hard drive.

So at the NTFS for Dos screen I said no and it didn't load the drivers for my hard drive, then when I followed the instructions it worked perfectly.

Downside is that it couldnt write a backup of my firmware to my hard drive but I already have backups of it and the key so no worry for me there.

Just so people know I flashed it using my on-board Nforce 430i (Nforce 4) sata so can confirm that works with the disk.

You have to get the device port from the windows control panel as shown in the Via tutorial on the disk but obviously select your onboard sata to get the port for that.

Hope that maybe helps somebody

thanks to FrostyTheSnowman for the disk great work!  smile.gif

toph3r

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

Firstly, thanks for a great disc! Very impressive, and appreciated.

That said, I have a few comments regarding the documentation of this, and some outstanding clarifications I need help with please.

1. The docs show how to find your IO port number, highlighting the first entry.  This port, surely, entirely depends on the port you have plugged your SATA cable into on your PCI VIA card?

2.  Following on from this, I used jungleflasher to find out the port my BenQ was on - A800 - I rebooted to the CD, and it said it couldn't send the correct command to the drive against this port IO.  It prompted me whether I should try to continue, I used the CK3 Pro to turn off the BenQ then back on again, and it attempted to send the command; unsuccessfully.  What is happening there?

3. This may seem a basic question, but it's not covered in any of your docs; should the 360 drive be turned ON or OFF upon booting the CD?

4. This comes back to #1, what port do you recommend we plug into on the VIA PCI card? The external port? That's the one i'm currently trying against.

thanks.

brauntje

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »

Hey Frosty,

first of all thank you very much for your hard work on this. The mod disc is really easy to work with and very clear. I have worked with the 1.5 version a while now and it worked perfect for me.

But when i try to use the 1.51 version it won't write to the c: drive anymore, when I type, samsung, benq or liteon it says that it failed to write to A. I can ignore that, but when I go on I can dump the firmware but it can't inject any code because it doesn't dump it anywhere I think.
And the difference i noticed with the 1.5 version that the 1.5 version shows X: as my cd drive and A: as the c drive (sounds logic to me). But the 1.51 version shows the A: drive as cd drive and because of that it can't write to the A drive.
Do you know a way to solve this problem and are there more people with the same problem?

Thanks in advance, and Kudos for your work!

kaosstar

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(jkrohn1 @ Mar 10 2009, 09:15 AM) View Post

I bricked my hitachi when I tried flashing with my NForce4. I ordered a VIA6421 card a couple days ago. I would highly recommend it, as the VIA card is now the standard which all the flashing programs use to maintain compatibility. I got the 6421A card (supports RAID) for $14.95 shipped from techsunny.com - that's about half the price of a new drive  wink.gif

cammy1011

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

Disc worked fine for my benq,the only thing that always happens to mine is every time I go to turn on the box my pc freezes and I have to start over,I have to hit enter and turn it on almost at same time then Y to retry and it works.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

I am still implementing and testing a new NTFS driver for my disc, it probably won't be released for a few more days.

Oh, and for those who are wondering, your Windows drivers (like PortIO) have absolutely no effect on my disc. My disc doesn't use Windows drivers at all.

Also, just to clarify, Hitachi-LG drives are not supported by my disc. Please do not attempt to use any Hitachi-LG drive with my disc, or your could brick your drive or worse. My disc does not currently support the Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L at all.

QUOTE(brauntje @ Mar 10 2009, 06:46 PM) *

Hey Frosty,

first of all thank you very much for your hard work on this. The mod disc is really easy to work with and very clear. I have worked with the 1.5 version a while now and it worked perfect for me.

But when i try to use the 1.51 version it won't write to the c: drive anymore, when I type, samsung, benq or liteon it says that it failed to write to A. I can ignore that, but when I go on I can dump the firmware but it can't inject any code because it doesn't dump it anywhere I think.
And the difference i noticed with the 1.5 version that the 1.5 version shows X: as my cd drive and A: as the c drive (sounds logic to me). But the 1.51 version shows the A: drive as cd drive and because of that it can't write to the A drive.
Do you know a way to solve this problem and are there more people with the same problem?

Thanks in advance, and Kudos for your work!

My v1.5 disc used a 1.44MB floppy image as the boot image on my CD, but the new version (v1.51) uses a 2.88MB floppy image instead, which your BIOS may not like. Have you tried using my disc on another PC by chance?

I had to switch over to a 2.88MB boot image due to the size of the modification files and script, and because so many people were having problems with the CD-ROM driver I was using on v1.5. My new disc makes your PC think it's simply a bootable 2.88MB floppy instead of relying on CD-ROM drivers, so the 2.88MB boot image might cause issues with some motherboards. (although most new motherboards should handle it just fine, I use an old MSI motherboard for my test bench)

Also, none of my discs ever write to the A: drive anyway, they write to a hidden RAMDISK (which is the T: drive)... as far as I know you are the only user to have reported this issue...

brauntje

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Mar 11 2009, 05:14 AM) *

I am still implementing and testing a new NTFS driver for my disc, it probably won't be released for a few more days.

Oh, and for those who are wondering, your Windows drivers (like PortIO) have absolutely no effect on my disc. My disc doesn't use Windows drivers at all.

Also, just to clarify, Hitachi-LG drives are not supported by my disc. Please do not attempt to use any Hitachi-LG drive with my disc, or your could brick your drive or worse. My disc does not currently support the Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L at all.
My v1.5 disc used a 1.44MB floppy image as the boot image on my CD, but the new version (v1.51) uses a 2.88MB floppy image instead, which your BIOS may not like. Have you tried using my disc on another PC by chance?

I had to switch over to a 2.88MB boot image due to the size of the modification files and script, and because so many people were having problems with the CD-ROM driver I was using on v1.5. My new disc makes your PC think it's simply a bootable 2.88MB floppy instead of relying on CD-ROM drivers, so the 2.88MB boot image might cause issues with some motherboards. (although most new motherboards should handle it just fine, I use an old MSI motherboard for my test bench)

Also, none of my discs ever write to the A: drive anyway, they write to a hidden RAMDISK (which is the T: drive)... as far as I know you are the only user to have reported this issue...

Thank you for your quick answer, I have tried using it on a brand new pc wich is only 1 month old and it came with the same problem. I noticed the 2.88 mb difference and there is a 2.88 mode on my own pc so there shouldn't be any problems I think.  

But when you use the boot disc 1.51, when you type the command samsung, benq or liteon, what is the parameter of the cd. I noticed with v1.5 the cd drive is X:. And when I dir a: it shows my C: drive.

But with the v1.51 the dvd drive is A: and i couldn't dir my hard drive. Strange isn't it?

This evening after my work I shall try it with yet another pc, also an old beast but who knows. If you notice anything strange in my story please let me know. Thanks for your time!

hackajt

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »

hello i was just wondering if when flashinga lite on drive, do we have to use a ck3 or can we use a spear and will it be conpatible with the instructions when flashing a lite on drive.

The reason i dont want to use a CK3 is because i have read that they tend to burn out and well ill be out 50Bucks.

By the way thank you,

Im a first timer and this cd is the best for this stuff ;0)

brauntje

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(hackajt @ Mar 11 2009, 11:24 AM) View Post

hello i was just wondering if when flashinga lite on drive, do we have to use a ck3 or can we use a spear and will it be conpatible with the instructions when flashing a lite on drive.

The reason i dont want to use a CK3 is because i have read that they tend to burn out and well ill be out 50Bucks.

By the way thank you,

Im a first timer and this cd is the best for this stuff ;0)

You can just buy a ck3, I have a ck 3 lite and it works very well. They don't just burn out, they burn out when you do something wrong like plugging the dvd power cable upside down. Then they burn out, but when you use it normal and wisely they don't just burn out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11