xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Connecting 360 To Vista's Extender  (Read 180 times)

dbldown768

• Archived User
Connecting 360 To Vista's Extender
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »

So I used to have my 360 setup to work with my laptop's MCE fine.  Now I am trying to setup the 360 to use Vista Ultimate instead.  My 360 was hooked up wireless, but at this point I trying not to even complicate things, so i have hooked my 360 directly up to my router, which is a D-link (WBR-2310).  My pc is connected to the same router as well.  Vista's Media center does see that a 360 is on the network and pop's up a box to setup the extender.  I go though all the motions of putting in the keys and I always get an error "configuring" the connection.  In the event view, it shows the same error -209.   I know a bunch of people have had this problem.  Can anyone help?  I have tried changing network settings, whatever, but since im new to vista I'm not sure what might need to be turned on.  I should point out that I do not have Windows Firewall turned on as well.

Shit: just looked in the pinned topic, can someone move this thread.... thanks.

This post has been edited by dbldown768: Feb 16 2007, 07:20 PM

too2buff

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »

the way I fixed my connecting / configuring error was to set everything to DCHP through the router and not use static ip addresses.  That fixed everything

why I have no idea but for some reason vista didn't like when I had static ip addresses assigned

hope this helps

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

I have tried the same thing, with no luck.  I just hooked up everything DHCP and still nothing works.  Also, i just hooked up my pc and my 360 to the same router, nothing else on the network.  Are there any special network settings that need to be enabled, or file sharing settings?  How about special services?

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

I've noticed that my 360 does not show up in the shared media tab.  It appears that vista is not even recognizing my 360 at all?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »

anyone???

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »

Ok, so i read that the fall update was supposed to contain information for vista, like the LLTP layer i believe for network discovery when using vista.  I have had all the XBL updates and I was wondering what everyones Dashboard version is?  Is it possible the update did not work properly and thats my problem?  I think its more with vista...

too2buff

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

I was using the most current update on the dashboard when I finally got mine to work.  I spent some time on the microsoft message boards and thats where I ended up getting the answer from

bawitdaba

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

I also have this exact same -209 error, reading online there is TONS of people with this problem. I have even directly connected my xbox to a brand new vista machine. I still haven't gotten it to work, but to help others here is a list of things to try.

If your vista machine has Windows Live OneCare installed, UNINSTALL it. Disabling it will not work, get rid of it.
If you have windows firewall on do not just disable it, make sure to uncheck it for the LAN connection, if you disable it sometimes it can block connections.
Make sure in your network and sharing center that your Network is a 'Private' network and not 'Public'
In services (Start->Run 'services.msc') make sure that Network List, UPNP and SDDP Discovery services are started.
If you have any anti virus or firewall 3rd party apps make sure to disable or stop them from blocking traffic.
When you have previously connected a vista machine to an extender a certificate is created, to clear it do the following:

Select Start -> Run "mmc"
Select File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
Add the "Certificates" snap-in
On the popup choose "Computer account" and hit next
Leave "Local computer" selected and hit finish
Select "OK" on the "Add or Remove Snap-ins" dialog
Click Console Root, Certificates, Personal, Certificates from the directory tree on the left.
Delete Microsoft Windows Media Center Extender Host certificate.

shut the pc down,

turn on xbox 360 and goto system blade, and select computers.
Disconnect from any computers/media center computers.
Still under the system blade go into memory and delete XBOX 360 Dashboard (I found my under the games menu oddly)

You can also try without using the xbox hard drive.

I have tryed all of this, and it still does not work for me even directly connected. I have a static IP, but it is via the DHCP server. (DHCP Staticly assigns by MAC addy)

If anyone has other ideas to try feel free to list them im stumpd, ive posted on the offical xbox forums and the are just as lost. In fact no one seems to have resolved this issue completly, the cert issues fixes some peoples problems.

This post has been edited by bawitdaba: Mar 4 2007, 11:48 PM

je61

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

mine still doesnt work

jon2000

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(je61 @ Jan 8 2008, 08:15 PM) View Post

mine still doesnt work

I had this problem too after inputing the serial number.  I had to go to the XBOX 360 dashboard, next the Media Centre tab, then I had to go past the serial number screen which put the 360 in Media Center mode.  I ran back to the pc and put the serial number into the Media Center Extender setup.  The setup finished fine after that.

Hope this helps.

Jon

je61

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »

thanks for helpin dude but sorry that didnt work

crapppp

MinceMan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »

Ok so I had these same problems and this is what worked for me.  Go to media sharing, make sure everything is enabled.  Go into settings make sure that "Allow new devices and computers automatically (not recommended)" is checked.  That's the one that got by me.  Right after I did that it connected just fine.  Good luck all  biggrin.gif

360_Kid

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Hi,

to get it to work in Vista

** Make sure your Xbox360 is on **

1. goto control panel
2. goto network and sharing center
3. click file sharing on
4. click media sharing on
5. click on change under media sharing