xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem With Video Playback-horizontal Distortion  (Read 35 times)

macanno

• Archived User
Problem With Video Playback-horizontal Distortion
« on: February 07, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »

hi there,

i encountered a strange video playback problem with XBMC when streaming to play VOB from my PC or playing a DVD disc burnt with those VOB files. Some horizontal lines of distortion occur in the video when the object is in motion. However, the DVD plays fine with the default xbox dash and those VOB files are playing file in my PC. I can play downloaded video with XBMC just fine and the problem only occur when i play video captured from my DV in widescreen mode.  i produce the VOB files following the steps:

1/ Capture video clips (in widescreen format) with Adobe Premiere Pro from my DV
2/ Export the video clips in Premiere Pro to DVD (MPEG2) VOB files
3/ Tried streaming the VOB files to XBMC for playing, horizontal lines appear when the object is in motion or when the video screen is moving
4/ Burnt the VOB files to make a DVD and then played it in XBMC, same problem with horizontal distortion lines
5/ restarted the xbox in default MS dashboard and the DVD disc played fine in MS dash

my setup as follows:
- xbox with modded chip
- pressed power button for a few seconds to load from modded bios or pressed only once to load from original MS dash
- when i load xbox with modded bios, evo-X was the default and i run XBMC from evo-x
- xbox is connected to 480i ports of my TV using HD pack cables

i appreciate very much for any advice or suggestion to solve the problem.
thanks.

<

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 04:45:00 AM »

It's likely due to interlacing.

Turn off all vertical scaling by switching to Original Size mode (START while watching the video).

Check by seeing that the output height is equal to the input height (all displayed when you press START)
 <

macanno

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(jmarshall @ Feb 7 2005, 05:40 PM)
It's likely due to interlacing.

Turn off all vertical scaling by switching to Original Size mode (START while watching the video).

Check by seeing that the output height is equal to the input height (all displayed when you press START)

jmarshall,
thanks for the advice but could u advise how i could "turn off vertical scaling by switching to Original Size mode"?  smile.gif

thanks very much.

(i also have the feeling that it's something related to interlace/progressive setting coz the error with horizontal lines of distortion is likely a problem of scan lines not normally displayed...) <

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

Press START repeatedly while watching a video. <