xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Program To Trick The Xbox 360 Into Thinking Its Connected To A Mce P  (Read 209 times)

halofun121

• Archived User

Well, I'm really sick of all this crap about needing a Media Center PC to stream videos to my Xbox 360, I might as well just use my modded Xbox with Xbox Media Center. But I don't want to. So I was thinking, is there a way to trick the Xbox 360 into thinking its connected to a Media Center PC by running some sort of program on a Windows XP computer? I'm not referring to an emulator or anything. If this program is possible, MCE wouldn't be needed. This would be great for many of us. Also, it would possibly pressure MS to listen to us for a change and allow us to do this shit without MCE.

Any ideas?

This post has been edited by halofun121: May 5 2006, 10:28 PM

flashfreak

• Archived User
A Program To Trick The Xbox 360 Into Thinking Its Connected To A Mce P
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

This one has been asked before. I don't think its possible, as it would probably require a huge emulator, and some MS code we wouldn't be able to get our hands on. While it seems like a good idea and may be possible, it'd be a lot of work.

But trust me, i want one too. I have MCE on here too as a dualboot but just use XP. Mainly cos i installed it after and don't wanna have to setup all my files and programs again.

Anyway, to sum it up, no, and i doubt for a while.

johnodd26360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

no because the wmce connection lets you run media center on your xbox 360 via a shared netwrok

Fuel90

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »

You can, however, get a MC add on for XP.

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fuel90 @ May 14 2006, 05:36 PM) *

are you talking about media center or media connect for xp????  if it's media center, this is not possible as media center is deep rooted into the system.  

besides, you can get a copy of media center off ebay and it works like xp, since it is xp.  all my tv goes through my computer and media center, and two different people can be watching a tv show (or music or pictures) and i can use my computer like normal and not even know anything else is going on...  i can even watch a tv show (along woth the other two doing the same) while i use the computer.

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fuel90 @ May 14 2006, 05:36 PM) *

Windows XP Media Center is it's own operating system, it's not an add-on. It's pretty much like saying that you can get a Linux add-on for Windows.

NoFace

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

windows xp MCE is just a simplified version of xp pro, with a media center addon in its root. Believe me, I installed MCE without the media center just to see what it would do. I found its just like normal xp, nothing different.

-=ZeroHour=-

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

let's not confuse one thing with the other..

yes, you can install Windows MCE without the Media Center and have it perform just like XP does.

however, AFAIK, you can NOT install Media Center on top of a stand-alone XP install.   I don't think there is even a setup program just for Media Center that you can get separately.

there is also Windows Media Connect that allows you to share photos and music (not video) with your 360.  this can be installed on Windows XP or Windows MCE.

This post has been edited by -=ZeroHour=-: May 15 2006, 05:55 PM

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »

however, AFAIK, you can NOT install Media Center on top of a stand-alone XP install. I don't think there is even a setup program just for Media Center that you can get separately.

It's possible, I have done it before. Basically you change some numbers in a registry file on your PC and install Service Pack 2, which then thinks you have Media Center Edition and installs MCE as part of the update, and you have MCE. Sort of.

This post has been edited by edwinmcdunlap: May 15 2006, 10:23 PM

-=ZeroHour=-

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »

so how come you're not still using it?  sort of?  doesn't sound like it's a viable solution from your post.

Infamousx241

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ May 15 2006, 09:53 PM) *

It's possible, I have done it before. Basically you change some numbers in a registry file on your PC and install Service Pack 2, which then thinks you have Media Center Edition and installs MCE as part of the update, and you have MCE. Sort of.

Why is this 'basic' proccess not widely known throughout the Xbox 360 community then?

I'm still waiting for MS to give in and let me stream video.

Neilinator99

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

WOw if this is real i could really go for learning it