xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Media Center Install Questions  (Read 84 times)

BigSteel

• Archived User
Windows Media Center Install Questions
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

I have been reading around here and other forums for a couple of hours and seem to be getting conflicting info.  Is it possible to just "ugrade" my XP Home to WMCE?  From what I have read it is possible, but you are better off doing a clean install.  I would do this, but I don't really want to go through all of the hassle of reinstalling apps etc.  I also understand that you can partition out a portion of your hard drive and install WMCE on that.  Is there a tutorial anywhere on doing so?  And, if I go that route can I then stream my .avi files from the non WMCE partition of my PC to my Xbox360?  And yes, I did read the pinned topics.  Thanks for the help.

hitman24

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

Thier's no real way to upgraed form XP Home or Pro to Media Center without sening money on an New PC.
You can get upgraed kits form New Egg but they cost as much as a New PC, because you are getting an new PC.  SnapStream is working on fixing thier Beyond Media amp to alow compactably with X-BOX 360, If you can't wait for SnapStream try an Google.

BigSteel

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »

Having done some further reading it sounds like you need to do a fresh install to get WMCE to work, you cannot just upgrade.  Apparently it will workto just put it on a separate partition of your hard drive.  If you don't have all the media center hardware you just won't get all the features to work with WMCE but the xbox 360 streaming part should still work.  I havn't heard anything about SnapStream (time to do more reading  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ).