xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Alternatives To Windows Media Connect  (Read 267 times)

bunglehaze

• Archived User
Alternatives To Windows Media Connect
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

I know a lot of you have had problems with wmc on your 360's, mine is a problem on my pc. The damn thing uses too much system resources for my liking. For some reason it consumes over 100mb of ram and loads of CPU.

I am wanting to know if any of you have found a lighter alternative that works so I can get rid of the piece of crap!.

I know there are other UpnP programs that SHOULD work, but have any of you tried them and got them working?

cheers

leigh biggrin.gif

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »

I've posted a lot of details and am doing testing on many others, as in the thread (that's right next to this one right now):

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...03#entry3151819

--falz

bunglehaze

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »

Thanks Falz, it seems that not a great deal can be done about it all just yet then...

cheers

leigh

(currently with wmccds.exe running at 195000k - mad.gif )

mikekirk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »

TwonkyVision UPnP MediaServer works just great, with the added benefit that there are also versions for OSX and Linux (among others), and the Windows version will also run on Server 2K3 and XP64.

bunglehaze

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

Any others apart from twonkyvision?

Lets just say I was looking at converting from XP Pro to XP MCE 2005, is it worth the jump? Can you just upgrade it and would it be less resource hungry than running XP with medi connect?

cheers

leigh biggrin.gif

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

Has anyone tested Nero MediaHome? I'd like that more, because it also does transcoding, so I could play all of my audio files.

robtec

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(ssj4android @ Jan 3 2006, 08:35 PM) View Post

Has anyone tested Nero MediaHome? I'd like that more, because it also does transcoding, so I could play all of my audio files.

IPB Image

nero media home detects the 360,but you cant acces the files with the 360

btw wmccds.exe runs at 14000k and nero media home at 33000k on my pc

bunglehaze

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »

Well, I did  a full re-format and re-install, everything fine. Installed WMC agaim memory usage is back up at 42000 - 100000 at the mo, it is making me wonder why mine is so high if others are reporting a decent(ish) amount. Is there any part of it that can be streamlined?

cheers

leigh biggrin.gif

chittnp

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »

generally, MCE is more resource hungry than XP Pro, but Media connect is a big time resource hog in its own right. Not having compared the two options, I would hazard a guess that MCE is more efficient than XP Pro pr home with media connect running. Of course the benefit is, that you can shut media connect down if your doing something that requires more resources on an XP Pro PC, with Media center, your gimped all the time.

bunglehaze

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »

In all honesty I dont think its worth me jumping to MCE for the short term anyway, Vista has got the MCE functions built into it but unfortunately I cant use my Beta for the 360 at the mo ( the MCE section has run out of testing time)

It just sucks that MS would allow a program like this to be so resource hungry, I mean it guzzles more juice than my XP pro install does at stock.

I also cant believe that MS are so tight assed that they wont let other UPnP services near their precious 360, talk about trying to take over the world.

cheers

leigh biggrin.gif

nick-a-boy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 03:24:00 AM »

do u even have to have WMC running cuz i have installed but i neve turn it on and it still works fine idk if i delete it if it would work anything got a idea about it cuz i think if i delete it and just share the files it should work i think idk but has anyhting tried this

bunglehaze

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

I would assume you would need to have it on if XP needs this to connect to the 360 ( or vice-versa) otherwise whats the point?

cheers

leigh biggrin.gif