xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect  (Read 1239 times)

C o s m o

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

Well, I could get none of this to work (except the hub thing, which is my next option).  After 57 minutes on hold, I got through to M$.  He had me open these ports in the windows firewall:

Media Center Extender Service, 3776 UDP
Media Streaming, 5555TCP
Network Validation, 7777 UDP
Remode Media Center Experience, 3390 TCP

This didn't work either becuase I have a firewall on my router, so my router MFR will have to reply to my email about which ports I need to open there.  But this may fix your problems, ESPECIALLY if you are connected directly from your NIC card to your 360.

ingybing

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »

I'd been having simlar problems and recently found the following..

If i opened up the services list and stopped the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" service then my xbox would see my computer. However if i started the service but turned the firewall "Off" in the options as normal it wouldn't work. I put a packet sniffer on my network to see what the difference between the two settings was. The result was that when the firewall is stopped the my desktop responds the uPnP requests sent out by the xBox on UDP port 1900. The response from the computer happens on the TCP port 2869. When the firewall service is started but in "Off" mode i could see the xbox sending out the UDP 1900 packets but my machine wasn't responding to on TCP 2869...

I did some digging and found the following:

http://support.MS.com/?kbid=886257&SD=tech

This talks about how if Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is enabled it locks UPnP down to a private interface only on Windows XP SP2. This then reminded me that before i used a wireless rooter i had a USB Modem connection with ICS enabled on it. I found this old connection on my network connections list and deleted it (effectivly turning off ICS) and Voila!! It all seems to work like a good'en so i think ICS is the guilty party.

cgrumler

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

I had this working for a while now....until I quit using my Norton Firewall and switched to Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security suite (new firewall and everything).  Now my 360 can't detect my computer again.  But with this new firewall program, I can't even seem to find an option to open up ports anywhere.  Can anyone that has this program lend me a hand, please?

swillyhem

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »

This probably won't fix it for all of you but if you're using the Windows firewall - ensure the "Don't allow exceptions" checkbox is unchecked. (Yes - Media Connect *should* alter your firewall settings when you click "reset firewall" but it doesn't seem to change that setting.)

nightwulf28

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(dracus @ Nov 24 2005, 12:03 AM) View Post

Ok I have a solution. I am not sure why this worked but it did.

1. Set up the media connect program. In my case it identifed the xbox 360 but the xbox couldn't find the pc.

2. Don't waste your time calling m$.

3. Download and install this program. http://www.tversity.com/ I have no idea why this worked, but installed it and made one share(likely not neccessary). Then suddenly the xbox 360 can see the computer and all is good.  I suspect it has something to do with upnp.

One note I have not been able to get this to work with a wireless PC. But after installing tversity the wired worked where it wouldnt before.

You can uninstall tversity after you've installed it. Things still work. Hope this helps people.

Next I am going to see if tversity can allow steaming of avi since it does allow it, even though xbox doesn't.

Dracus

Thanks a ton man!  I have been trying to recognize my pc to no avial. I am on a network with my roomate.  We share the router and he also has a pc and 360.  For some reason when he decied to install the media connect program everytime i would try to connecton my 360 it would pick up his pc and not mine. Or then I coudnt find mine at all. It all worked fine until he installed on his end.  Your fix with this worked and I can not believe it. Man I was so pissed. Thanks again pop.gif  biggrin.gif

themightyone

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

Does anyone know how I can open the ports required on Zone Labs Zone Alarm firewall?
Pages: 1 [2]