xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jtag Running Kinect Camera And External Hdd  (Read 207 times)

strawdog

• Archived User
Jtag Running Kinect Camera And External Hdd
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

with the kinect plugged in,its telling me to do a system update,
i am obviously not going to log in to live to do this as it will end my jtag's life,
so where can i get a safe version of the update and i presume just putting it on a usb stick will work ?

strawdog

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(itoktoeatfish @ Nov 15 2010, 10:25 PM) View Post

USB update will also end your jtagging days. You have to reflash your nand with one of the new flashing programs. Look at the main page there have been 4 or 5 differnt programs released within the last week to do just this.

i've relashed my nand and have the new dash on there.
just reading up on this,so i think i am safe to now put the official update on a usb  and update,right?

strawdog

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(itoktoeatfish @ Nov 16 2010, 12:25 AM) View Post

The only update that I know of that you can update from a usb drive is the dash board update. If you put that on a usb and plug it into your xbox and it asks to update and you let it, it will ruin your jtag. Post a link to the update your talking about.

ok,i'm following this guide-

http://www.xbox360is...ad.php?t=309206

i've done the reflash and have the 12611 dash etc,jtag runs etc.
i plugged in the kinect and it wants another update.
i have read that its fine to use the legit system update from microsoft via USB as long as you have already got 12611 dash,it basically 'fills in the gaps' such as kinect support and avatar stuff.

my new problem is for some goddam reason my xbox will not recognize the $systemupdate folder on the root of the usbstick.
just to be clear,i format the stick to fat32 right?

turfster

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(strawdog @ Nov 15 2010, 08:42 PM) View Post

ok,i'm following this guide-

http://www.xbox360is...ad.php?t=309206

i've done the reflash and have the 12611 dash etc,jtag runs etc.
i plugged in the kinect and it wants another update.
i have read that its fine to use the legit system update from microsoft via USB as long as you have already got 12611 dash,it basically 'fills in the gaps' such as kinect support and avatar stuff.

my new problem is for some goddam reason my xbox will not recognize the $systemupdate folder on the root of the usbstick.
just to be clear,i format the stick to fat32 right?

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SystemUpdate12611\$systemupdate

Take it out of first system update folder,  place second system update folder onto usb formatted as fat32

strawdog

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

yep did that,
i have the $systemupdate folder(within this is just the files) on the root of the usbstick which is formatted to FAT32
wont boot

weird

turfster

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(strawdog @ Nov 15 2010, 08:59 PM) View Post

yep did that,
i have the $systemupdate folder(within this is just the files) on the root of the usbstick which is formatted to FAT32
wont boot

weird

Try unplugging your 360 for 30 secs or so, use back or different usb port as well. Also try another usb stick if you have one...reformat it again...

strawdog

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(turfster @ Nov 16 2010, 03:02 AM) View Post

Try unplugging your 360 for 30 secs or so, use back or different usb port as well. Also try another usb stick if you have one...reformat it again...

done all of the above,
tried new usbstick formatted to fat 32 unplugged power cable from back of xbox left it for a few mins,plugged back in
put in usbstick,powered up xbox - not finding the update.
retried all of the above with all 3 usb ports...
nada, zip ,nuthin.

just to be clear-i have put the folder $systemupdate on the root of the usbstick,within in this are all the files.
is that right?

USB IS NOT WORKING FOR ME, SO CAN I USE THE KINECT GAME DISK TO UPDATE OR IS THAT NOT SAFE FOR THE JTAG ?

strawdog

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

thanks for all the help guys.
it turns out the reason it wouldnt boot the systemupdate was because somehow it had installed the update without my knowledge ? dont ask,i have no idea,
one minute it was telling me to go to xboxlive to get update,then after scratching my head and decided just to plug in the kinect again and it we are all jumping around like idiots here.

blink.gif

Repoman 108

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »

For the benefit of anyone who hasnt resolved this issue yet and is reading this to find out how to make the Kinect device work on your JTAG, but arent sure they want to risk a System Update from MS in doing so:

You will need a JTAG console, a Retail console and a USB.

Download the proper Kinect dashboard system update from xbox.com and put the folder "$systemupdate" inside the zip file on the root of your usb. Plug the usb into your retail and place the HDD from your JTAG onto your retail. Now reboot the retail console and it will ask you to update. Accept and once done, turn off the retail and put the harddrive back on the JTAG. The JTAG now has the SU but has 0 chance of having its efuses blown...= safe update...

Some people have stated that just updating with the official SU straight on their JTAG works as well without breaking your JTAG so long as its already running fbbuild 0.1/0.11; but I personally didnt want to risk that.

omegastar

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »

This update is fine to do if you are on 12611 already. It just installs the Kinect Hub stuff to the dash.