xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Open Kinect Project: 2000USD Bounty for Open-Source Kinect Drivers  (Read 543 times)

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Open Kinect Project: 2000USD Bounty for Open-Source Kinect Drivers
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

Cool device, but I'm not buying one unless I decide I need an infra-red disco ball.

On the legality issue for the driver. M$ hates open source (freedom) more than anything. That said. The Kinect device will most likely contain some sort of firmware/bios, which will be "M$ copyrighted code". If an open source driver is written, M$ could, with the right lawyers, claim improper use of said code, or even more so (but a much further stretch), copyright infringement,  in simply using the device on a PC because a PC could be used to easily dump said code and we all know why that is bad (for M$  smile.gif ). Not to mention, the driver would cut into M$ profits if (when) they release a similar device for Windows (why buy it when you have the Kinect with a windows driver?). The list of propagandized possibilities goes on and on. Look for big problems from M$ here.

lvader1

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »

Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant.”

Law enforcement? lol what a scare tactic..
FU M$
I hope somebody hacks it by the weekend.

bengrimsy

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about. Firmware on the device make it only able to be used on xbox 360s. To use it on a pc we will have to either modify the kinect's firmware, or somehow spoof a pc to show up as a 360 to a USB device, both of which will be illegal. Its possible the actual driver itself will be legal, but the way to implement it will require you to do something illegal.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 6 2010, 12:51 AM) View Post
All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about.

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 6 2010, 12:51 AM) View Post
Its possible the actual driver  itself will be legal

symbal

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »

As soon as anyone takes payment for a driver M$ is gonna run them over with a truck load of lawyers, even if there's no law being broken you just know MS is gonna try to scare the crap out of anyone else thinking about doing it, but honestly i just don't care just as long as the driver makes it out into the wild i might consider buying one, because i still see no future for the thing on 360.

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Nov 5 2010, 06:29 PM) View Post
Kinect isn't multitouch. It's a camera, not a touch device. To turn Kinect into a multitouch device one would need to make it a screen itself--and that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Minority Report?

QUOTE(symbal @ Nov 6 2010, 02:18 AM) View Post

As soon as anyone takes payment for a driver M$ is gonna run them over with a truck load of lawyers, even if there's no law being broken you just know MS is gonna try to scare the crap out of anyone else thinking about doing it, but honestly i just don't care just as long as the driver makes it out into the wild i might consider buying one, because i still see no future for the thing on 360.

Yep.  Once it's on the Internet, it'll never come back off.  Same as a few years ago when the software came out to convert the Ricoh 7040 quad-speed burner (plus all of its rebranded variants) into the $100-dearer six-speed Ricoh 7060.  Ricoh kicked off, but too late.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Exobex @ Nov 6 2010, 05:29 AM) View Post

Minority Report?

Hah. Yeah, but still not technically multitouch as you're not touching anything. /anally technical

nexxusty

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 5 2010, 07:51 PM) View Post

All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about. Firmware on the device make it only able to be used on xbox 360s. To use it on a pc we will have to either modify the kinect's firmware, or somehow spoof a pc to show up as a 360 to a USB device, both of which will be illegal. Its possible the actual driver itself will be legal, but the way to implement it will require you to do something illegal.

Jesus dude, stfu.

I can't handle imbeciles like you at all. You are soooooooooo uninformed.

Please stop talking. You actually made me less intelligent by reading your post.

p4r0l3

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

Also, check this video. Looks like color and depth cameras are already being accessed via Windows 7 as well.

liamb2010

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »

I think its fantastic personally....If Sony are really quick they can rip this off just in time for xmas for the PS3 like they did with the wii controller...Just add a light on top and use the correct spelling "Connect"...I bet it will happen sooner or later, Ms just handed them the keys  unsure.gif

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]