xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Freeboot Vs Xbr  (Read 136 times)

darthmaul

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

I'm about to get a jtagged 360 and want to know the pros/cons of Freeboot and XBR.  Can you use a bigger hard drive on both?  If I can get some opinions as to which one is better and why it is better so I can make a decision, I would deeply appreciate it.  Thanks in advance....

steveo1978

• Recovered User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »

I would go for the Freebot console because of the newer dash and the features the newer dash has. But both should be able to load stuff off a usb drive. But other then that both are pretty good.

krizalid

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »

XBR was made from Freeboot, and it was the alternative for us who didn't own a Cygnos and weren't able
to install freeboot to our onboard nands.

Now that FreeBoot will work on the onboard nand, XBR is thing of the past.

Freeboot currently has all patches XBR did in the past and it's acquiring more.
Freeboot builds proper image for your nand and will fix issues with IMU on JasperBB.
Freeboot is updated to the latest MS Dash 9199, xbr was left behind with 8955.

Go with FreeBoot v0.032 and Enjoy.

This post has been edited by krizalid: Apr 27 2010, 07:02 AM

advapi

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(krizalid @ Apr 27 2010, 07:00 AM) View Post

XBR was made from Freeboot, and it was the alternative for us who didn't own a Cygnos and weren't able
to install freeboot to our onboard nands.

Now that FreeBoot will work on the onboard nand, XBR is thing of the past.

Freeboot currently has all patches XBR did in the past and it's acquiring more.
Freeboot builds proper image for your nand and will fix issues with IMU on JasperBB.
Freeboot is updated to the latest MS Dash 9199, xbr was left behind with 8955.

Go with FreeBoot v0.032 and Enjoy.

excuse me I've heard that Freebot v0.032 isn't really much stable, is it true? I'm still with xbr3 and was wondering to pass to FreeBot...

Thanks

xmugen360

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »

I am one of those people who reasons if it aint broke dont fix it so i am staying on xbr alot of people have had problems updating to freeboot and people who had problems with big block nanads still seem to have problems over on xbox 360 iso a guy posted about how his large external hd also stopped working once he made the switch over...one plus for freeboot is supposedly the new freestyle will let you exit back from the guide in game back to freestyle by pressing y instead of going to the nxe but i can do this by just using quickboot there are also supposedly going to be trainers available under freeboot...

BrooksyX

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »

Freeboot is better than XBR. Xbr is the past and freeboot is the future. Its really easy to flash too, took me like 2 minutes. Your gonna want freeboot if plan on using freestyle dash 2.0 when it gets released.

xmugen360

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »

i hear ya brooks it appears that xbr no longer supported/being worked on but other than the feature for returning to freestyle by press y in the guide i have heard of nothing else that would require freeboot for freestyle 2,0 which btw is not out yet...i personally am just waiting to see if it gets updated again i allways do this with any type of homebrew software since i am a cautious fellow and honestly xbr works just fine for me...i have no plans of taking my jtag online and all current games work with no problems...so i see no reason to update till i see the minor bugs/difficulties i read on different forums works out personally...

This post has been edited by xmugen360: May 19 2010, 01:34 AM

krizalid

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(xmugen360 @ May 18 2010, 08:33 AM) View Post

I am one of those people who reasons if it aint broke dont fix it so i am staying on xbr alot of people have had problems updating to freeboot and people who had problems with big block nanads still seem to have problems over on xbox 360 iso a guy posted about how his large external hd also stopped working once he made the switch over.

I agree, if it not broken, don't fix it, but remember that you'll need to upgrade to play newer games that will require higher kernel.
Seriously, ppl that have issue have issues cause they either don't follow directions properly or don't meet the requirementes for ibuild. EOS.

QUOTE(xmugen360 @ May 18 2010, 08:33 AM) View Post
...one plus for freeboot is supposedly the new freestyle will let you exit back from the guide in game back to freestyle by pressing y instead of going to the nxe but i can do this by just using quickboot there are also supposedly going to be trainers available under freeboot...

Using QuickBoot is good if you don't plan to install new games to hdd, the more you install, this shortcut will disappear if you are running as demo.

Using a disc with QuickBoot's .xex and .ini file will conflict with some games and they will not boot properly (Ex: SSFIV)

I wonder if they plan to create freeboot patches to always return to FSD rather than NXE or will it be a kernel control via executable .xex? Better not kill Xbox1 Support!

xmugen360

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »

krizalid that is what i am saying in my post that is something that the freestyle dev already went on record about that you will need freeboot because of the memory coding to return to freestyle to press y but if you run it using xbr you will not have this feature of course this is not until freestyle 2.0 comes out my understanding is that it would be a dash launch kinda thing but patched and that nxe is still there just that shortcut gets edited..

i agree it appears that some problems people have is their own mistake but still i do see alot of threads from people who seem competent and go looking for help when they have problems with freeboot...

i wonder if you just rip system update out would it even matter if i have lower kernal?  that is how I play all my games I extract iso with image browser and run them off 1tb external usb hd...so freestyle will allways be in my quickboot list personally since I don't make quickboots for the games I just return to freestyle...

all in all i truly do love this software these are very exciting times

db2431

• Archived User
Freeboot Vs Xbr
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the steps are for changing from xbr to freeboot?I have a xenon running xbr, use freestyle dash.Thanks for any help