xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Emulator Viability?  (Read 137 times)

mogwaimon

• Archived User
Emulator Viability?
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

Hey, all, I'm just curious about something.Given the system specs of the 360, would it be worthwhile to hope for a Naomi board or Playstation 2 emulator to be released for the system one day that is full speed with decent compatibility? The reason I ask is because it would be nice to have all my fighting games on one system, and if the Playstation 2/Naomi boards were emulated on the 360, that'd fill in the gaps that aren't filled MAME.

On a smaller note, how about Sega Saturn? Not many games I'd want to play there, but it'd be nice to be able to try out Guardian Heroes on a modern system.

Sorry if it's in the wrong section, I read the posting guidelines and stickies at the top of the forum and this didn't quite seem like a newbie question, but then again it might not be right for General Software Discussion either?

seglda

• Archived User
Emulator Viability?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »

The potential exists for any more powerful system to emulate a lesser powerful system. The problem is that some are significantly more difficult to code than others, as systems advanced in power, so did the difficulty to code an emulator for them. You just have to hope that someone who has the coding knowledge has the same wants as you for their 360 and will spend the time and have the drive to see it through to a finished product.

In my opinion, considering (as far as I know) there's barely Saturn or PS2 emulation on the PC, I'd have to say it's pretty unlikely, but again, it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

mogwaimon

• Archived User
Emulator Viability?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »

Well, that's true, Saturn and PS2 emulators on the PC aren't as complete as we'd like them to be, but I have heard that Saturn emulation is good enough to at least play Guardian Heroes and PS2 emulation is definitely at the level where I can pop in, say, Capcom vs SNK 2 into a decent computer and have it run well. Hell, this port of this one fighting game called Arcana Heart 2 actually runs FASTER using emulation than on native PS2 hardware!

I'd just like to have a rough idea, though. For example, the PSP has a pretty decent SNES emulator last I knew, but it's not quite good enough to run everything full speed coz of the low system specs. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!

bio44

• Archived User
Emulator Viability?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

The makers of XeBoyAdvance, http://lovemhz.blogspot.com/ asks for donations and teases the possibility of more emulators.

GTRagnarok

• Archived User
Emulator Viability?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »

Hey, PCSX2 isn't bad at all. GoW/2, FFX, etc, runs full speed and looks much better than native.