xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Unable To Install Games Onto Hard Drive  (Read 1057 times)

CK0

• Archived User
Unable To Install Games Onto Hard Drive
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »

I have a specific question:
From what I gather from PenguinComrade's post, saves on the HDD of a banned console (played and saved on banned console) will not work, in other words will show up as corrupt on a clean console?  

For instance, played Batman:AA on banned box, and go plug in the HDD(with the B:AA save) on my buddy's clean box to play retail copy, it won't show up? What happens if I return the HDD to my banned box - will the file now change to being corrupted?

I'd also like to know how this affects the gamer profile as well.

piratesteve508

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

I wonder what would happen if you already have a backup of all your saves, say on your computer or another 360, before you were to get banned.   And you were to reformat the hard drive in an unbanned 360, then copy all your pre-ban gamesaves back to the hdd?

Thats what I did in anticipation of me getting banned (has not happened yet)  I have a separate 360 that has never touched live (waiting for the jtag hack to work on jaspers)  I took my hdd and plugged it into it and copied all the gamesaves that I care about to the internal memory built into the jasper that way I can try this out if i happen to get banned.  BTW I have a hacked 250gb hdd.

jebise1001

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »

it should work since you did it before your HDD got banned and the fact is totally on a different console/memory card. If you get banned and HDD get messed just format it and copy them back they should still work.
Anywho, gamesave still work on a banned HDD/360 It installing games that do not work and using the banned hdd data on a different console dose not work.

zombie13

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »

I haven't connected to Live since before the ban wave, so my 360 with hacked 120GB HDD still works fine. If I never connect to live again, and always use this same HDD, should I still be fine playing and installing games offline from now on? I'm wondering if a future mandotory dash update that is on a game disc could cause problems in the future.  uhh.gif

I'm guessing an update from a game disc couldn't ban my console, as it would have to contain a list of banned consoles up to the point of the disc being pressed. Although I guess if they can detect hacked HDDs in future updates then that might be a problem.

Wildman01

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(zombie13 @ Nov 1 2009, 10:25 AM) *

I'm guessing an update from a game disc couldn't ban my console, as it would have to contain a list of banned consoles up to the point of the disc being pressed. Although I guess if they can detect hacked HDDs in future updates then that might be a problem.

I don't think you should have any problems if you don't connect to Live anymore.

slayer902

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:00 AM »

is this legal ?? i mean, the hardware is OURS, we paid for it. i understand the ban from xbox live: we violated their TOS, its our problem. but to brick a HDD is just plain low.

for a fact, alot of people who get banned put their hdd on a new xbox that THEY BUY. what incentive do they have to do that if the HDD isn't going to work ?

omega232

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »

Anyone able to confirm if the hard drive works as normal on an unbanned xbox?

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

-so what if you sign in w.o any hdd/mu plugged in the xbox and it bans the console, is the hdd still bricked?

-also has anyone successfully backedup up their hdd to their computer. then transferred to another hdd previous to the ban, then get banned an have them work still?

-and lastly someone who has banned saves, does resigning them with a game save resigner to a different save device id  or gt id work?

neily78

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »

That's me done with Live, just upgraded my HD to play games off, to quieten everything down, never play on Live, do dowload the occasional arcade game, upgraded my HD this morning, re-downloaded my content, spent my remaining 200 points and unplugged my network cable for the last time.

Only play backups from my original games GTA IV including all the DLC and Forza 2.  Not risking losing the ability to play from my harddrive as that's the only reason I upgraded it.

At the end of the day you flash your DVD and take your chance but removing important functionality like that has sealed the deal for me, before I was never too fussed if I got banned as I'd lose very little but this has tipped the scales the other way.

It's interesting that this hasn't happened to everyone in the recent ban wave though, time will tell if it affects more people I guess.

pmcguire

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »

Yep,

Self imposed ban for me too, I have the PS3 for multiplayer (not that I ever used it) and demos.
XBox Live is nice to have but not really essential, installing games to drive is for me though as it sounds like a jet engine otherwise.

Bought all games where possible for the PS3 platform anyway, no worries.

bonneville1992

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

jez what a crock of shit, i'm selling my wireless and staying away from live now, i bought a ps3 the other day. was getting sick of m$'s bricking HDD, thats a little much in my opinion.  It sucks that i can't back up any ps3 games, but at least i don't have to worry about my hdd's being usless and having to run the dvd always to play games.   i love my xbox, but this is about the last straw, i'm not going to buy a new xbox evertime they think it's good to shove it up my ass.  Thats one thing i like about the ps3, even though i am still getting used to it.  it comes with wirless, bluetooth a 120 gig hd, and a 45 nm processor( slim version) so they pretty much sealed the deal for me. no more live, and when this one takes a shit. i guess it's all ps3 untill the xbox 720's come out or whatever they are calling there next money pit.

Don't get me wrong, we've violated the TOS agreement, but beeing banned from live isn't good enough for them, they just had to take it one step further with the hdd bricking. total bullshit if i ever seen anything like itl i'm not banned, but don't plan on taking the chance.

drewis

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

is there no current way to downgrade the dash at all? maybe it's in the dashboard- removing the ability to install games.

is there no current way to downgrade the dash at all? maybe it's in the dashboard- removing the ability to install games.

mypollywog

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »

I got banned on Oct 30th and as far as I know I put my "locked" HDD in my friends unmodded unbanned console and it is not "bricked" But of course my profile is corrupted and I had to delete it and recover it, losing all my save game data but still have my gamertag and points and subscription. Just gotta start over any games I want to play, but I dont think i'll be going back to playing any of my old games anyways..

T-Mac

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »

the only game i play online is cod and now that my console is banned and my hdd is bricked i won't give my money microsoft anymore. i reserved MW2 for the ps3, free online and the drive its so quite it scare me somtimes  love.gif

PenguinComrade

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cybore @ Oct 30 2009, 07:07 PM) View Post
I have a question for those of you that are getting this message for all games:
Can you play the games that you had previously installed to the 360 off the hard drive?

If the situation is anything like mines then no. It just tells you that you need to reinstall the game but you wont be able to since you can't install games anymore.

QUOTE(jebise1001 @ Oct 31 2009, 08:10 PM) View Post
so what you guys are saying is what's on the banned HDD stays on the banned HDD? there is no possible way to move it to either a different xbox or different HDD?

Besides the ability to install games on the banned xbox, dose it still work as before like you are able to load and save games?

what if you take your banned hdd and play a game on the not banned xbox and then and put it in the banned xbox can you access the safe?

In a sense yes and in a sense no. If you go crazy with it and decide you want to play games and on your profile, any data that you decide to save/load/use will become corrupt if you try and put it on another xbox 360. However it seems like some have had luck transfering data to their MU and putting it onto an unbanned Xbox 360 without corruption but if the situation is anything like mines, you'll be unable to transfer any data to the MU from the HDD at least via your banned xbox 360.

Yes it still works like before with being able to save and load games.

If you take your HDD put it on a non banned console play a game, save something then put it on your banned 360 it'll work just fine, it's only the other way around where the problem lies assuming the situation is like mines.

QUOTE(CK0 @ Oct 31 2009, 11:11 PM) View Post
I have a specific question:
From what I gather from PenguinComrade's post, saves on the HDD of a banned console (played and saved on banned console) will not work, in other words will show up as corrupt on a clean console?  

For instance, played Batman:AA on banned box, and go plug in the HDD(with the B:AA save) on my buddy's clean box to play retail copy, it won't show up? What happens if I return the HDD to my banned box - will the file now change to being corrupted?

I'd also like to know how this affects the gamer profile as well.

Here let's put it this way. Lets say I decide to play too human, I load up my profile and I load up my saved game. some time goes along and I make some progress then I save. I switch over to my non banned Xbox 360 to try and update my gamerscore my profile goes corrupt, it doesn't appear in the profiles listing. I recover my GT and decide I'll play my retail copy of Too Human to try and regain those achievements just by popping in the game while connected to live and loading up a saved game. So I attempt to load up the saved game and the game tells me that it has become corrupt.

Nothing will happen if you go from a non banned box to a banned box. it's only the other way around where things start happening.

QUOTE(zombie13 @ Nov 1 2009, 02:25 AM) View Post
I haven't connected to Live since before the ban wave, so my 360 with hacked 120GB HDD still works fine. If I never connect to live again, and always use this same HDD, should I still be fine playing and installing games offline from now on? I'm wondering if a future mandotory dash update that is on a game disc could cause problems in the future.  uhh.gif

Yes you should be fine up until you connect to live and receive the ban hammer. As for the future, who knows?

QUOTE(omega232 @ Nov 1 2009, 07:42 AM) View Post
Anyone able to confirm if the hard drive works as normal on an unbanned xbox?

It works like normal on an unbanned 360 as long as you dont do anything with it on the banned box like play games or sign into your profile, etc. Well fact is that drive will work just like normal on an unbanned xbox 360 it's just that it'll probably contain corrupt data like game saves and gamer profiles but aside from that nothing at least in my case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7