xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xboxs Dont Support Ntfs...but....  (Read 121 times)

TSOPrano

• Archived User
Xboxs Dont Support Ntfs...but....
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

Nothing is impossible!

(but I wouldn't hold your breath)

JohnCusack

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:39:00 AM »

what the heck...?

i use a 200 GB Samung IDE Drive, NTFS-Format in an external USB-Case. My 360 plays everything from that one...

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(JohnCusack @ Jun 15 2007, 05:15 AM) View Post

what the heck...?

i use a 200 GB Samung IDE Drive, NTFS-Format in an external USB-Case. My 360 plays everything from that one...

Is that external hooked to your PC and then you stream the data from it? That works fine. But it shouldn't be playing "anything" if hooked directly to your 360.

I don't see how it's possible that NTFS works for you if your hooking it directly to the 360. When I hooked my external to my 360 (NTFS formatted) it would not even recognize it at all for movies (didn't try music or pics). I think NTFS will only show the pics, but not sure, it definately didn't show movies. And AFAIK this is the same for pretty much everyone who tries to use an external drive.

Once I formatted my drive to HFS+ and put some of my movies back on the 360 recognizes it perfect.

So are you sure it's NTFS? And you can really play anything (movies, music, and pix)? And your hooking it directly to the 360 and not to a PC then streaming?

Mi|enko

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Jun 15 2007, 08:49 AM) View Post

Is that external hooked to your PC and then you stream the data from it? That works fine. But it shouldn't be playing "anything" if hooked directly to your 360.

I don't see how it's possible that NTFS works for you if your hooking it directly to the 360. When I hooked my external to my 360 (NTFS formatted) it would not even recognize it at all for movies (didn't try music or pics). I think NTFS will only show the pics, but not sure, it definately didn't show movies. And AFAIK this is the same for pretty much everyone who tries to use an external drive.

Once I formatted my drive to HFS+ and put some of my movies back on the 360 recognizes it perfect.

So are you sure it's NTFS? And you can really play anything (movies, music, and pix)? And your hooking it directly to the 360 and not to a PC then streaming?

You're correct.  The drive should only be Fat32 or HFS+ when connected to the 360.  But, if it's fat32, then you have to deal with the filesize limitation.