xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possible Remote Desktop Connection From 360 And Other Good Stuff!  (Read 136 times)

cohan

• Archived User

Well, I was bored today and I figured I could mess around with my 360. I came across two possible ways to remote connect to your own computer, allthough we probably wouldn't be able to control anything. But hey, one step closer! And also a solution to how we can play XviD and other compressed movies WITHOUT transcoding.

All the things in this exploit requiers a Windows Media Center PC connected to the X360 and the following Addon to it: MCEBrowser, http://www.download.com/MCEBrowser/3000-11...4-10510342.html

Ok, The first thing I tried was to use logmein.com. Go there and create an account and add your computer and install the Logmein software. After that you go into the Media Center Web Browser from your X360 to www.logmein.com and log in, then select your computer, write in your computers password. After that you get to a screen where your suppose to click "Remote Control" or something, but on this page you can't click anything (WTF?!?). So thats where I'm stuck here.

The second try was to follow this guide: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up_03may16.mspx
But when I connect to my computer again from the X360 Web Browser I get further than with LogMeIn, but I get a message asking me if I trust this computer or something (And SHIT! I cant press anything here either).

So, If anyone can find out how to be to click the Remote Session button with the LogMeIn solution, or how to remove that damn security message on solution #2, that would be cool.

And then to the Video part. I found out that with the web browser you can watch videos without having to transcode them. I went to YouTube.com and I could watch all the videos there. Though, without sound. So if anyone could manage to create a program/launcher like MCEBrowser that run either IE, Firefox or Opera with sound enabled, maiby we don't need to transcode video anymore.
There is one theory I have now wich I havent tried out. The TVersity software allows you to stream video to the Xbox 360, but youll have to transcode it. But if you connect to the server from the MCEbrowser you can watch videos within the browser without transcoding, wich MAIBY could give bether performance for HDTV playback. But this is just a theory, I have no experience with this whatsoever.

I've also tried to run programs with the MCEbrowser. I managed to run steam with the steam://connect command, and telnet with the telnet:// command. But if i try to do file:// it doesnt work because the link ads an extra / to the file://.

So, is it just me or do we have endless oppurtunities here? It would be cool if anyone could look into these things. It would be really cool if we could do a remote desktop session and play videos from our computers without transcoding.

No_Name

• Archived User
Possible Remote Desktop Connection From 360 And Other Good Stuff!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »

uhh.gif

cohan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »

I got the remote desktop solution #2 to work.

HOWTO:

As said before, go to this page and follow the tutorial: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up_03may16.mspx

(When I tell you to write something, go Y button and write it)

Then with MCEBrowser goto http://YOURIP:YOURPORT/tsweb (Might work with localhost to), on the server input write your IP, then click "Send logon information for this connection" and write in your login and password for windows. Click Connect, and when the "Do you trust this computer message" appears, press Y and write yes.

It will now connect to your computer. I only managed to get to the login screen, but I think it was because I wrote a wrong password (Didnt have time to try again).

Here is what you can do in remote desktop:
 - If a message appears (Like OK/Cancel or Open/Save), press Y and write the option you'd like to enter.
 - You can write text. Like if your at a login screen or in notepad/word.

So, question: If we use this thing wich makes it possible to play games with Mouse and Keyboard, can we get the same mouse and keyboard function in remote desktop? http://gaygamer.net/2006/11/use_a_keyboard...ouse_on_xb.html

This post has been edited by cohan: Feb 23 2007, 09:12 PM

No_Name

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

You really have  lost the plot.

This "remote desktop connection" is not somthing new and wounderous. Its been there from day 1 with the 360 and an Windows MC OS.

The 360 is only acting as a display and thats about it, everything is run on the PC nothing is execuated on the 360 so you can run all the homebrew you like.

So no this is not what you think

cohan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

First things first, I didnt say anything about running homebrew, secondly have you ever seen anyone running a remote desktop session to a Windows computer from an Xbox 360? My goal is being able to sit on my computer in my living room (Browsing the web, sitting on MSN and use simple programs wich requires no 3D acc.). I'm not trying to "hack" the 360, and I'm not trying to run a OS on the 360! And it was with a coincident that i discovered that  you could watch videos with the web browser and then i saw possibilities, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to like set up a Media server (Like VLC WebPlayer) and watch videos without transcoding.

I'm telling you man, this is a new discovery!

This post has been edited by cohan: Feb 23 2007, 11:49 PM

No_Name

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

Its not a new discovery.

This is somthing you could do from day 1 if you happened to have a Media Center PC.

Its good you found out how to do it but at the end of the day the 360 is just acting as a display extender and nothing more.

To run stuff nativly it needs to be trasncoded as the 360 wont accept any other formats of video to playback off a PC, i.e when the 360 is actually processing the data not the PC.

cohan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »

You cant say that everyone with a XPMCE/Vista has done this! I am not trying to get it to run natively, and I KNOW that remote desktop session is just a display extender! But if we could manage to remote control a computer with a Xbox 360, that would be pretty useful for some. Maiby not you.

I don't think you understand what I am trying to do here. I would appriciate oppinions from someone else now.

No_Name

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »

You are going to be restricted to what you can do on the 360 side in terms of interacting with your PC and that just the way its going to be. They did not write the functionality to allow you to use the 360 as a remote hub for a MC PC.

IdenticalJet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »

What you are trying to do isn't really possible.  Using MCE isn't a new thing, and it won't let you connect to the 360 in any way possible.

Everything No_Name said is correct.  We can't control a computer from the 360 because of all the security methods implemented in it.

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(cohan @ Feb 24 2007, 08:51 AM) View Post

I don't think you understand what I am trying to do here. I would appriciate oppinions from someone else now.

Very well. You opened yourself up to this sort of dialogue by your choice of forums: Software Exploits Development / Research

Moving...