xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Idea For Softmod?  (Read 171 times)

Wolves

• Archived User
New Idea For Softmod?
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »

ok, I really dont know what im talking about but I guess i'll take a shot in the dark...

with the HDD now cracked, we will soon know how to make our own executables, right?

so, then with the ability to stream music files through media connect could we not somehow hide an
executable inside a music or picture file?

then when the 360 attempts to open it, the file could somehow launch some kind of dash and then all that's
left is to install the new dash or something. it would kind of be like the old audio exploit on the original xbox.

anyways, that was a wild guess. just trying to spark some ideas

revs

• Archived User
New Idea For Softmod?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »

Everything is signed and signed again. Chances are low.

RolfLobker

• Archived User
New Idea For Softmod?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wolves @ Feb 15 2006, 06:11 AM) View Post

ok, I really dont know what im talking about but I guess i'll take a shot in the dark...

with the HDD now cracked, we will soon know how to make our own executables, right?

Wrong.
so, then with the ability to stream music files through media connect could we not somehow hide an
executable inside a music or picture file?

Sure, but it wouln't be executed and treated just like any other corrupt mediafile.
Besides, the xbox360 does not do anything, it's the computer who's playing back the file, not the xbox360.

then when the 360 attempts to open it, the file could somehow launch some kind of dash and then all that's
left is to install the new dash or something. it would kind of be like the old audio exploit on the original xbox.

Wrong again.

anyways, that was a wild guess. just trying to spark some ideas

Always nice, but please gather some info first.
You're on level 5 where the rest is on level 500. everything you said has already been thought of ages ago. And only then briefly because others are aware of the fact the everything xbox is signed.

Even if somehow obtain then XDK and write and compile a new dashboard then two things apply:

1) It would not run because it's not signed (properly)
2) Even if you would be able to run it, it would not do you any good since you've just run your own dashboard ans still don't have the possibility to run homebrew code (which does not even exist yet) and / or backups.

Wolves

• Archived User
New Idea For Softmod?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »

as I said, im just taking a shot in the dark and btw... Thanks for not being rude and just treating me like an idiot and actually explaining everything I appreaciate it

clerks37

• Archived User
New Idea For Softmod?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wolves @ Feb 18 2006, 05:57 AM) View Post

as I said, im just taking a shot in the dark and btw... Thanks for not being rude and just treating me like an idiot and actually explaining everything I appreaciate it

nice try dude that guy is rude just over look it