xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc Running In Ubuntu On A 360?  (Read 365 times)

Aviator747

• Archived User
Xbmc Running In Ubuntu On A 360?
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

Has anyone tried running the Linux version of XBMC in Ubuntu on their Linux modified 360? There is a tutorial on XBMC's site on how to install it in Ubuntu and there is a guide here about installing Ubuntu on a modified 360. So can we add 1 + 1 to makes sweeetness?

Thanks for any input. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

DaninAW

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aviator747 @ Jan 23 2010, 09:17 AM) View Post

Has anyone tried running the Linux version of XBMC in Ubuntu on their Linux modified 360? There is a tutorial on XBMC's site on how to install it in Ubuntu and there is a guide here about installing Ubuntu on a modified 360. So can we add 1 + 1 to makes sweeetness?

Thanks for any input. smile.gif

Most everyone has thought of it, many people have tried it. XBMC requires 3D acceleration features to do its thing, even in the menu system. Linux on 360 is not far enough along to run all of these features yet, and as such, it doesn't work. One person had even patched the source code far enough to get it to actually run, but many things were broken, and playback wasn't working at all - he got as far as getting the menus. Given time it may happen. For now, no solution.

Aviator747

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

Ok, Cool. Thanks for the input without any flames. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I didn't see any info or mention on it.

QUOTE(DaninAW @ Jan 23 2010, 01:32 PM) *

Most everyone has thought of it, many people have tried it. XBMC requires 3D acceleration features to do its thing, even in the menu system. Linux on 360 is not far enough along to run all of these features yet, and as such, it doesn't work. One person had even patched the source code far enough to get it to actually run, but many things were broken, and playback wasn't working at all - he got as far as getting the menus. Given time it may happen. For now, no solution.

DaninAW

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aviator747 @ Jan 23 2010, 02:15 PM) View Post

Ok, Cool. Thanks for the input without any flames. smile.gif I didn't see any info or mention on it.

I try to keep my posts flame-free. Smoke detectors give me a headache, and there are far too many morons on the internet who'll go off on people for not knowing everything, and even most of -their- facts aren't based in reality..haha..

Aviator747

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »

I found a video on Team Cygnos's website showing XBMC on a 360. It's definetly in early stages. No sound or video playback. Just the menu and the rss feed. It is kinda sluggish so far to. At any rate it is progress. Congrats to them.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

hfmls

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »

xbmc won't happen in xbox360 in next months for sure.
if so, we would allready have news from xbmc guys.

we have to focus on this now guys:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=702661

DaninAW

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(hfmls @ Feb 7 2010, 08:42 PM) View Post

xbmc won't happen in xbox360 in next months for sure.
if so, we would allready have news from xbmc guys.
we have to focus on this now guys:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=702661

Actually, the XBMC team have said they will not, ever, do a port of XBMC on the 360. First, the difficulties involved with porting it to PowerPC arch instead of x86 arch are immense. Second, they feel it's a wasted effort, since 360 consoles that can run it are "limited and rare", and that there is cheaper hardware for purchase that would do a better job.

I feel they're wrong, since many people have 360's already, and if you've already got it, it's cheaper than buying cheap hardware. Also, the device's "single-component" design (ie, onboard audio/video/IR/bluetooth/Lan/HDD/DVD combo) outweighs HTPCs in the need to buy individual components, install them, configure them, set up an OS, configure media software....boot times for XBMC on Linux versus XBMC on 360 are longer, etc etc etc..

AKA, they won't. I feel they should, but they won't. It's an open-source project, so by all means, pick up the code and port it - it's beyond me, and I have a fair background in the art of code-fu...

hfmls

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

also xbox360 has the same hardware as other xbox360 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
in PC u have several diferences etc etc.

let us leave XBMC aside and focus in a new one. starting by a simple media player / file browser.
the rest will come with time.

we should create a SVN for a all-in-one thing like freestyle dash.

and merge xexmenu,enginioux and freestyle dash.

slasherking823

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaninAW @ Feb 7 2010, 10:41 PM) View Post

First, the difficulties involved with porting it to PowerPC arch instead of x86 arch are immense.

i dont know, dont they have an osx port

hfmls

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 03:04:00 AM »

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=705700

guys please pass here!!

xbox360 media player project

dinzy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(slasherking823 @ Feb 9 2010, 06:13 PM) View Post

i dont know, dont they have an osx port

all modern osx's run on Intel Chips, not PPCs

aredspider

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

yes, xbmc runs on powerpcs

nukage

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »

what about hacking into the media center component already on 360s?  it just needs some better codecs and it would be great.