xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox LIVE Gamertags go zombie and rise from the dead  (Read 179 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox LIVE Gamertags go zombie and rise from the dead
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 1 18:35 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

Starting today, we have begun the process of making previously used and unavailable (dead) Xbox LIVE Gamertags available. This process will take some time to complete, and no we can’t tell you when the Gamertag you want might be available. If you are interested, you should check back regularly as we are reviving Gamertags daily.

Sign into Xbox LIVE and go to the My Xbox channel, then select Change Gamertag. From here you can either choose from the random name generator, or you can enter a specific Gamertag to see if it’s available.

Changing your Gamertag does not affect your Gamerscore, Achievements, or your friends list.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

Changing your Gamertag does not affect your Gamerscore, Achievements, or your friends list.

but will cost you $10.

Scrufdog

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »

Major said he would tell 'e' to discuss what a dead gamertag is on this week's podcast. Where would this podcast be found once its up?

Nevermind, on top of major's page

This post has been edited by Scrufdog: Mar 2 2011, 02:47 AM

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

They are going to recover about 10 from me. Naughty ones that they probably don't like  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Mar 2 2011, 12:51 AM) View Post

but will cost you $10.

And that's what it's all about!  If it showed $10.00 as the charge people would think twice, however kiddies won't care about squandering 800 points off the prepay card they had for Christmas, and most parents wouldn't realise the true cost either.

M$ living up to their monicker.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »

Has anyone actually gotten any good GT at all off this?

I tried about 300 unique 1-4 character names and couldn't find any.

If you search using this link:

http://gamercard.xbo...rtag=typegthere

And fill in "typegthere" with the gt you want to search, you want to get the "OOPS" page that says the name isn't found. Then try it on your 360. If it still doesn't work, MS banned the name (obvious if it's a racist or sexual term) or someone on Zune has it and never tied it to xbox.com.

If you find a name that has a profile with 0 GS, no activity, and the Xbox 1 logo as their gamerpic, that to me is on MS's list to get reset as it's a 'dead' gamertag. They just haven't released it yet.

I keep finding the 'dead' xbox1 names and the occasional "OOPS" names that I try on my 360 with it telling me it's in use. I found 2-3 that only have activity of xbox.com in the last 24 hours with no GS or any other activity leading me to believe they just regged that after it got released.

But other than that, it seems like MS has hardly released sh*t. Has anyone actually gotten anything, and if so, what?

BiNiaRiS

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »

those assholes need to give me a free gamertag change since MY old gamertag is among the dead ones simply because my account wasn't active when they made the switch.

i remember calling them to find out in disbelief that nothing could be done...my gamertag was registered by me but unable to be transferred. no one was using it, no one had access to it, and it was stuck in the "old system" and due to some asshat programmers lack of skills could not be deleted and again made available. I should call their help line 5 times a day until someone gives me a free change.

This post has been edited by BiNiaRiS: Mar 2 2011, 06:58 AM

DaShiZNiT

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »

oh wow

tripaschief

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »

sleeping.gif  For me change gamertag is the same to change your own name, if you dont have a nickname that make yourself in life use your real name, more sense !

bill16504

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(tripaschief @ Mar 2 2011, 08:40 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)  For me change gamertag is the same to change your own name, if you dont have a nickname that make yourself in life use your real name, more sense !

No it doesn't make more sense.

In real life you and a million other people can use the same nickname. Not so on LIVE. Out of it's 20+ million members only one person can have that nick name. So if someone already has "your" real life nick name then you're stuck making something else up.

And using your real name on LIVE; thanks but no thanks.

If it showed $10.00 as the charge people would think twice, however kiddies won't care about squandering 800 points off the prepay card they had for Christmas, and most parents wouldn't realise the true cost either.

M$ living up to their monicker.

MS would be stupid not to charge something. With all the little kids who are already quick to spend 800 points just to feel cool to have "x"'s, "v"'s, or "sniperz" in the tag can you imagine what a cluster fu<k it would be if they were allowed to do it for free?

They would be changing their name every other day if it were free.

If anything, MS should charge more than 800 points.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

I just want them to give some more information on this. Can't wait for more info on Major's podcast.

I have been checking many names a few times a day now and I haven't seen any become available. I am using my method I described above, but I even started trying it on my actual 360 thinking maybe my web method doesn't work. But I am still constantly told every name is in use, and I am definitely checking dead names.

I understand they aren't releasing them all at once, but it sure seems like they've hardly released anything yet. Some guy on Major's post replied today he got Ratchet, no doubt that was taken before. So they are releasing some.

I will keep checking my names twice a day until they either become taken or become available for me to take, but I'd like more information coming up in the upcoming podcast.

Anyone gotten anything yet?