xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Live With 3g  (Read 116 times)

bu2bu2bu

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »

if I can comfortably play in xboxlive with 3g internet?
CODE
(смогу ли я комфортно играть в xboxlive через 3g интернет?)

(sory for my english)
thanks

lordvader129

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »

depends on a lot of things, how strong the signal is, how good the network is, what game you are playing, etc

overall, id probably say no, as most cellular networks have too much lag

Weirdjerz3y

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »

Well it depends in the area and the speed of the 3G. Im in the US, and when i get max signal, i get 3G speeds of 3Mb/s DL, and 1.5Mb/sUP- which is about the same as DSL. So I would think you would be able to, if its fast enough. but to use it on Xbox, how are going to do that? Why dont you just try to use it on the Xbox and see if it works. But remember for the Xbox to get internet it needs the official WiFi, or Ethernet.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

moved and merged your other topic from the XB1 Live forum

my same points apply, speed will probably be OK, but lag will likely be a big problem, i know the 3G internet from my phone is not very stable and i sometimes get ping times up to 500ms

bu2bu2bu

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Weirdjerz3y @ Dec 28 2010, 06:32 PM) View Post

but to use it on Xbox, how are going to do that?

put a 3g modem in laptop, and conect to xbox with ethernet cable

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 28 2010, 07:46 PM) View Post

moved and merged your other topic from the XB1 Live forum

thanks

what is the maximum ping to play (not fps, for example gta iv or RDR)?

evo360

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »

I personally use 3g for my primary internet as it is the only thing available to me where I live. I have a router with PCMCIA card slot and from there into a 24 port switch which feeds my whole network.  My son and I play on live and PSN network and simultaneously and my wife and daughter could be on internet with not too many problems and I play first person shooter and racing games every once in a while we will have issue not to often though.

Live actually does not use too much bandwidth while playing games. As for downloading well thats a different story I usually take my consoles to my office to do game updates and console updates I do through USB.

The one thing you have to keep and eye on is there is a cap on mb per month usually 5gb to 10gb depending on what plan you have. Live uses around 5 mb an hour is what I have been told so that is how I track it.

I have had this setup for 4+ years rather live where live then have the luxury of Cable or DSL. I have had satellite internet for only a month that did not work cancelled within a month and went to 3g.  Hope this helps!

Ketchup_Bomb

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »

I bet it's a little more than 5MB per hour, but still not a whole lot of data.

Like it has been mentioned, bandwidth, or the amount of bits transferred, isn't the issue. It's the latency/ping, or the speed at which bits transfer, which can cause problems.

Games that don't have a lot of synchronization will have a lower demand on ping. Racing games are an example of this. You basically have to know where the opponents are, and that's it. Whereas games like Red Dead Redemption, you have to know where they are, what gun they're using, their current animation, where they're looking, etc. Even if it isn't a first-person shooter, it still has a lot of data to sync with all those that are playing.

I would say that lower demanding games are tolerable up until 250-350ms ping, where as high demand games start to struggle at the 120-200ms mark.

Edit: I know on the iPhone you can download a SpeedTest app which will tell you your ping and bandwidth. There must be similar apps out there for Droids and Windows phones.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ketchup_Bomb @ Dec 29 2010, 11:12 PM) View Post

Edit: I know on the iPhone you can download a SpeedTest app which will tell you your ping and bandwidth. There must be similar apps out there for Droids and Windows phones.

just point your mobile browser here

II Poodle II

• Archived User
Xbox Live With 3g
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 08:32:00 AM »

I Use Dodo 3G to hit up xbox live of a night (11Pm Onwards) works good, occasional drop out but it works. depends how picky you are, i get anwhere between 70-100ms ping. it really depends as others have said on signal and latency. i run it like this 3G Modem--->Laptop--->Wiress--->Laptop--->Ethernet cord--->Xbox