xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Valve: Xbox Live 'such a train wreck'  (Read 382 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Valve: Xbox Live 'such a train wreck'
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 9 21:23 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From computerandvideogames.com:

Valve boss Gabe Newell has called his company's assumptions over Xbox Live "such a train wreck".

When asked if its mistake on Xbox Live was to assume Microsoft would let Valve update its games more often, Newell said:
"We thought that there would be something that would emerge, because we figured it was a sort of untenable... Oh yeah, we understand that these are the rules now, but it's such a train wreck that something will have to change."

Microsoft has a notoriously closed approach to its online service compared to PSN, with developers allowed as little as one free title update (though there are exceptions) and limitations on the amount of free game content they can release.

Full Story: computerandvideogames.com

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »

Wasn't this the guy that was trashing the PS3 a couple years ago?

Anyway I love my Steam so if the guy wants to be a little contradictory far be it for me to say anything...

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Sep 10 2010, 03:26 AM) View Post

Wasn't this the guy that was trashing the PS3 a couple years ago?

the very same person indeed ... http://www.joystiq.c...verybodys-time/

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »

woa...woa...woa... hold on one second... Microsoft only allows ONE free title update for games that may end up needing more than one go to be fully patched for online play without little to no glitches, on a service that we pay for? I think I just found out why devs put dlc on the actual game Disc and have launch day DLC.

This post has been edited by red_ring_of_box: Sep 10 2010, 02:48 AM

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Sep 10 2010, 02:46 AM) View Post

woa...woa...woa... hold on one second... Microsoft only allows ONE free title update for games that may end up needing more than one go to be fully patched for online play without any glitches, on a service that we pay for? I think I just found out why devs put dlc on the actual game Disc and launch day DLC.

Certainly makes sense. I think this also explains why a lot of games don't get bugfixes for minor things, too.

MaulerX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »

So he talks shit about PS3 to get Sony to budge on something he wants and now he's talking shit about Xbox to no doubt get Microsoft to budge on something he wants. He's full of it.

p4r0l3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »

Wow..1 free title update per game?? You would think that m$ would WANT publishers to desire to make games on their platform and provide a good experience. Guess not.

This seriously makes me reconsider renewing my Live subscription that's about to expire..

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »

Most games I play and love (Saints Row 2, etc.) need a minimum of 2 or 3 title updates before they're really stable. I understand Microsoft's policy, but I think it's a poor business move.

Newell is a ball of lard, but puts out a great product. I love Steam. love.gif

UberDeev

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »

He was saying MS's policy of limiting free DLC is a train wreck, not Live as a whole. And he was right.

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

Why doesn't MS have a taste of its own medicine and allow only one free download for Windows? Remember that dog of an OS called Vista that, on launch day, took about 5 minutes to empty a 1K text file from the recycle bin?

Yeah, thought so.

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Sep 9 2010, 08:27 PM) View Post

Most games I play and love (Saints Row 2, etc.) need a minimum of 2 or 3 title updates before they're really stable. I understand Microsoft's policy, but I think it's a poor business move.

Newell is a ball of lard, but puts out a great product. I love Steam. love.gif

That`s the problemwith lazy game developers. those games that you play and love should be stable from the get go.

Tehnexie

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(stevenalvarado @ Sep 10 2010, 03:59 AM) *

That`s the problemwith lazy game developers. those games that you play and love should be stable from the get go.

Commenting on valve with that attitude is just plain stupid - Valve primarily makes competitive games that constantly needs balancing and new content - Just look at Team Fortress 2. Rarely/Never has a single game have had such a flow of free content since the release date. You would want to pay x$ for each "free" map - just because you're sitting on an Xbox?

Microsoft needs to get it together and realise that free content/patches is a boon, not a sin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

grap3

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(MaulerX @ Sep 9 2010, 08:50 PM) View Post

So he talks shit about PS3 to get Sony to budge on something he wants and now he's talking shit about Xbox to no doubt get Microsoft to budge on something he wants. He's full of it.

God forbid someone's opinion changes on something over the course of several years.

Alize

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(stevenalvarado @ Sep 10 2010, 02:59 AM) View Post

That just isn't realistic.

Not too sure how many lines of code go into a game, probably in the millions or if not close to. Being a programmer myself, I have heard the phrase "for every 10 lines of code, there is 1 bug" countless times throughout my career - the larger a project, the more likely there will be bugs that may not be identified for a long time, hence Windows is so often plagued with problems - over 50 million lines of code have gone into the latest Operating Systems, hackers pull it apart and Microsoft have to fix them. Constantly.

I'm not sure if Microsoft's policy applies to game patches, probably just DLC. The amount of times I've logged in to certain games and had to apply updates is certainly more than 3 or 4 times! I know those aren't all dashboard updates either.

microsnakey

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(stevenalvarado @ Sep 10 2010, 03:59 AM) View Post

TF2 has had 160 + patches
Triple the maps it has started with.
more than double the weapons it started with.

This equals the most fun and equal game ever
Pages: [1] 2