xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PAX 2010: Stepto's Law of Xbox Live ban protests  (Read 381 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
PAX 2010: Stepto's Law of Xbox Live ban protests
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 7 20:38 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From joystiq.com:

During the Xbox Live Enforcement panel at PAX  this past weekend, director of policy and enforcement on Xbox Live, Stephen Toulouse (a.k.a. Stepto), recited "Stepto's Law" for the audience. The complex formula is used to determine the validity of a complaint issued by a banned Xbox Live user. The law goes like this:

"The more convoluted, overwrought and lengthy the protest of innocence, the probability of it being bullshit approaches one."

Full Story: joystiq.com

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

Sounds like a dick, but at the same time, I am sure his formula isn't far from the truth.

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »

obviously it is true or it would be called Stepto's theory.

This post has been edited by iateshaggy: Sep 8 2010, 01:45 AM

deadair4ever

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

Sounds about right, both as the attitude of Microsoft towards its paying customers, and as having merit as a theory.  Obnoxious, rude, and self-serving, but technically right.  Douchebag...

death69inc

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

not sure his is correct at all shrugs
I know when my 2 week old system never hacked was banned I went apeshit on them over many phone calls no effect even posted to forums with info requested to get it lifted still no effect ..sold off long ago
but never put another system on live F microshit and there bs  play online with my ps3 play my jtag 360 offline or on kia

no reason to spend more money for a new online 360 that will just get banned for no reason.

This post has been edited by death69inc: Sep 8 2010, 01:57 AM

tristanx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

he's still less of a jerk than the people at the dmv...

Julets

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(deadair4ever @ Sep 8 2010, 01:53 AM) *

... Obnoxious, rude, and self-serving, but technically right. ...

Technically he is incorrect and found believing people are in general, bad. Talking about stepping on the toes of the innocent. Maybe he should be known as "StepToe".

But yes, typically M$ arrogance. And yes, law, not theory (Great comment :-)

Has M$ finally ran out of anything PR worthy?

gamesquest1

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »

lol so does "UNBAN ME" work for them might have to try that one XD

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »

I posted on this earlier today on another forum:

So today Major Nelson posted a podcast from PAX hosting the infamous Xbox Live Enforcement Team members, who discuss bans, suspensions, and how they work.

PAX Prime: Xbox LIVE Enforcement: Tales from the Din Part 3: The Conclusioning - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

Obviously this isn't the first time we've heard them speak. I have heard the other ones in years past but don't recall them that well.

After listening, I can't help but to be disappointed in the way these guys carry themselves. They think they're so cool and funny and it reminds me of being back in high school many years ago. They act like their shit don't stink and they're so much better than everyone else.

Here's the thing, I get that breaking the TOS results in suspensions and bans. I don't have a problem with that. I don't blame MS for policing their service at all. I do, however, have issues when them acting the way they do in discussions like the one at PAX. If police officers have public discussions like this about their work, they could easilly lose their job.

I think it's necessary for people in their position to remain respectful and have high integrity, even if they do deal with idiots on a regular basis.

It's funny because they call every modder, hacker, etc. a "douchebag" yet they themselves are acting as a douchebag. I still think it's bs they go around talking like this. Even criminals have to be treated with respect, so it should be no different for enforcers on an online service like XBL.

These guys are powertripping hard, and that's not the kind of people we need to be enforcers.

bmwbmwbmw

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

This is in reference to banned USERS, not consoles.

Seriously, unless you act like a total moron and go around screaming "nigger" and "faggot" every two seconds, you won't get banned/suspended. Douchebags is right, if anything I hope they start handing out harsher penalties in the range of 60+ days for these annoying mouthbreathers who never know when to shut up.

Glad to see the report function on XBL is doing something.

The fewer xXXxxKronic420SephirothSSJ3xXXxx's we have on XBL the better.

This post has been edited by bmwbmwbmw: Sep 8 2010, 03:00 AM

pedderb

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Sep 8 2010, 03:43 AM) View Post

I posted on this earlier today on another forum:

So today Major Nelson posted a podcast from PAX hosting the infamous Xbox Live Enforcement Team members, who discuss bans, suspensions, and how they work.

PAX Prime: Xbox LIVE Enforcement: Tales from the Din Part 3: The Conclusioning - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

Obviously this isn't the first time we've heard them speak. I have heard the other ones in years past but don't recall them that well.

After listening, I can't help but to be disappointed in the way these guys carry themselves. They think they're so cool and funny and it reminds me of being back in high school many years ago. They act like their shit don't stink and they're so much better than everyone else.

Here's the thing, I get that breaking the TOS results in suspensions and bans. I don't have a problem with that. I don't blame MS for policing their service at all. I do, however, have issues when them acting the way they do in discussions like the one at PAX. If police officers have public discussions like this about their work, they could easilly lose their job.

I think it's necessary for people in their position to remain respectful and have high integrity, even if they do deal with idiots on a regular basis.

It's funny because they call every modder, hacker, etc. a "douchebag" yet they themselves are acting as a douchebag. I still think it's bs they go around talking like this. Even criminals have to be treated with respect, so it should be no different for enforcers on an online service like XBL.

These guys are powertripping hard, and that's not the kind of people we need to be enforcers.

that posting is pretty lengthy. just saying.

trasixes

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »

The truth is they are probably right. The percentage of bans probably matches their estimations, and that in itself works against the banned folks. Then you take into account the details of the offense itself, the argument given by the offender, and it likely adds up to obvious bullshit pretty quickly.

However, with that said, these douchebags have the mentality of E-thugs that just weren't quite intimidating enough to be real enforcers (military, police, or hell even mall security). I feel for these pricks, and at the same time, would love some one on one time with them for an attitude adjustment.

Bleh, I'm glad I've never played on Live really.

darkshadow2k8

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »

screw live i do use it but whenever mostly just stick with ps3 nowadays these people that enforce live cant tell heads and tails sure theres a few who get the accidental ban but m$ treats everyone as a suspect

gamesquest1

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

eah i seem to remeber seeing a video of some mod being a jerk to ppl on xbox live saying he can ban him forever if he dont show him respect....im sorry but the position of moderator is always gonna be filled by a douche with an ego problem who needs to have power to force ppl to like them

personally what this statement says to me is, "if your email is to long we cba reading it so screw you"

if i was microsoft i would make the idiot that made this statement apologise as people have and always will be banned by accident and it seems like microsoft have no policy for helping the very rare but still existing wrongly banned people,

jeffrey92

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »

does this kind of stuff happen on PSN too?

To me it just seems like they are the ones who create all of this. I dont think moderation is at all necessary. Microsoft should save sume $$ and its public image and fire all the moderators. If you dont like what people are saying, turn chat off.

I would go as far to say that the nature of the game encourages people to talk shit to each other. I dont do it much, but I think its pretty funny sometimes. If I dont think its funny, I take my heatset out and just play the damn game.

what about moderation?
Pages: [1] 2