xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Xbox Boss Chris Lewis Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown  (Read 1113 times)

amak1131

• Archived User
Xbox Boss Chris Lewis Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(rossmac @ Nov 12 2009, 03:08 PM) View Post

Rising prices of games caused by others not purchasing it?

ROFL. That has to be the funniest comment I've read on this issue. Piracy has little damage on the industry. Why? More than likely, those who downloaded it were never going to buy it anyway! A downloaded game does NOT equal a lost sale, it equals a lost POTENTIAL sale.

They're charging outrageous prices because they get away with it, simple as that.

tech3475

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »

Just wait until they go DLC only and the money they charge for that! Look at the games on demand and you'll see what the future could look like.

Just wondering, are they banning just the consoles or accounts as well? This is getting confusing because of all these mixed reports.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(dragonranger @ Nov 12 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post

what is the thing that M$ try to protect those Legit XBL gamers from?
HOw does it protect them by banning modded console?

Those who are banned cannot play games installed to the HDD any longer - who are they protecting here?

turk3y

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(40_ounce @ Nov 12 2009, 11:57 PM) View Post

What I haven't heard anyone say about all this banning crazyness is it's not going to stop piracy. People are still going to pirate xbox360 games and play them. They might get a new console and mod it or just keep the banned console to have one for offlne play and a regular console for only games they want to play online.

no but it does help to increase thoes ever so important holiday sales figures for the board and general propaganda. The only thing it protects is their pocket whilst showing the likes of EA they are trying to fight it.

zainday

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

"Those who are banned cannot play games installed to the HDD any longer - who are they protecting here?"

Themselves!

I think they are just trying to cut things off at the pass......
If a banned console can install games on the hdd maybe there worried about a ONE BOOT DISC scenario coming to the scene soon with the all the new homebrew stuff going on....wouldnt be to far outta site....
250 gigs of games on one hdd with a single boot disc, wouldn't be to good for them.....

let see.....pay for online and games or would people rather have offline and 250 gigs of games with a solo boot disc......LOL.....

Sin3xtreme

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(40_ounce @ Nov 13 2009, 08:27 AM) View Post

What I haven't heard anyone say about all this banning crazyness is it's not going to stop piracy. People are still going to pirate xbox360 games and play them. They might get a new console and mod it or just keep the banned console to have one for offlne play and a regular console for only games they want to play online.

you hit the nail on the head right there (modded for offline unmodded for online)
it will allways be a cat and mouse effect and at the end of the day M$ is just wasting their time becouse notmatter what they do modders will allways evolve and change tactics
Just ask punkbuster and their war on aimbots

yugluc

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Piracy is such a small number when you look at the bigger picture. Not everyone  knows how to flash, backup and burn games. Human nature has the stupid people always outnumber the smart ones. Thus why you have people who will pay full price for games, especially parents for their kids.

There's 19 mil. 360's in USA. Halo 3 ODST sold 1.5 million copies. @$60 each, that's 90 million dollars
Microsoft grossed. What do you actually think the're development cost was??? Even to spend 10% of that (9 million) considering they are just reusing/upgrading the current assets, they just made a Shat load of cash.

say you have a million people playing backups online + the people who bought it. Another $200+ million in XBOX Live fees + DLC.

That's $300 million going directly to them cause it was developed in house.

MS is making a killing with DLC, even from the piraters, they prob end up spending more without knowing it!!

And they say to protect the online community, but PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Even if your modded and playing a backup, there's no possible way anymore to change game files to cheat online without being caught. So aren't people playing backups, playing fair?

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

i find it interesting that M$ needs to defend its self regarding the bans, guess there trying to keep those customers they ban...More $.

I would like to see a %100 accurate statement about...anything from Micro$soft regarding its members, updates to its software(i.e. dash) and moves it takes (against pirates).
I don't trust anything (%100) that major nelson says (he has been known for leaking things tho smile.gif).

death69inc

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

2nd non modded console banned
and yet agian they wont tell me why
this is bull  halo and elite both banned and they seem to think its ok
no firmware mods no 3rd part hdd
only thing is a rrod fix nad a fan upgrade on my elite and it was banned today @&@)*$&@)$@!*$&@$

Artlover

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(zainday @ Nov 12 2009, 06:08 PM) View Post
If a banned console can install games on the hdd maybe there worried about a ONE BOOT DISC scenario coming to the scene soon

You still haven't explained how this stop piracy.

For any such "one boot disc" option to work, one would need a modded console anyways.

Which means they can just as easily play the disc they burned that they needed to install it to the HDD to begin with.

Wait, maybe you mean they will borrow their friends disc? Well, their friend can just burn them their own copy for them. Unless you mean borrow their friends original. But again, since you would need a modded console to use the boot disc, and games can be had for free for people who have modded consoles, that makes no sense.

Wait again, maybe you mean rentals? Again, need modded console for boot disc, so why would someone pay a rental fee for something they could get for free.

with the all the new homebrew stuff going on....wouldnt be to far outta site....

1: Very VERY few people are lucky enough to have a console in a state that allows them to use homebrew.

2: Homebrew and replacing the dash that is needed to run games are two different things. If the latter was easily done, then we wouldn't need to bother with things like freeBoot, and just direct boot games via custom loaders. I, along with a huge percentage (if not a majority) of users, would love nothing more then to dump this damned horrible NXE crap and replace it with a nice 3rd party option that's actually clean & functional.

The Dude Z

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

"Those who are banned cannot play games installed to the HDD any longer - who are they protecting here?"

Themselves!

I think they are just trying to cut things off at the pass......
If a banned console can install games on the hdd maybe there worried about a ONE BOOT DISC scenario coming to the scene soon with the all the new homebrew stuff going on....wouldnt be to far outta site....
250 gigs of games on one hdd with a single boot disc, wouldn't be to good for them.....

let see.....pay for online and games or would people rather have offline and 250 gigs of games with a solo boot disc......LOL.....

You can't downgrade the dashboard on a 360 that has been recently banned cause the 8xxx version dash overwrites the 1st stage Boot Loader.
In order to get banned you would have had to log into Xbox Live thus forcing you to take that update thus you wouldn't have the option to downgrade and run homebrew !

So your theory is stupid.
This was simply a big F**K You from MS to the modder.
Also known as malicious destruction of private property.
They have a right to ban a console but never have a right to disable console functionality other than connecting to Xbox Live. wink.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Nov 12 2009, 09:59 PM) View Post

AMEN.

+1 just hope they have all been banned now, so I can read some decent topics on X-S without it going down with stupid "zomg i'm banned posts"...

amak1131

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »

This is not going to stop piracy, it's just a smokescreen. They are just trying to look good and appear as if they are doing something against it.

liam82517

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Nov 13 2009, 02:12 AM) View Post

+1 just hope they have all been banned now, so I can read some decent topics on X-S without it going down with stupid "zomg i'm banned posts"...

+1

How many posts do we really need saying the same thing over and over. I think last time I looked it was 30+ pages of people saying the same thing over and over about how they (MS) were catching people.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »

I think that guy C4eva or whatever his name is should give it up and stop causing all this craziness for everyone. Every year he releases a firmware then says it can't be detected. Banned consoles, game piracy, and banned accounts. C4eva you did enough time to move on.  dry.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6