xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Xbox Boss Chris Lewis Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown  (Read 1109 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox Boss Chris Lewis Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 12 16:57 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From sky.com:

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, Xbox's chief executive for Europe Chris Lewis explained the thinking behind the policy.

"We are very committed to stamp out piracy. It's an issue not only for Xbox, it's an issue for the industry as a whole, it's an issue for Microsoft generally," he said.
"Clearly it's important for us to be able to stamp down on that to protect the 10 million people that are already on Xbox 360 in Europe for instance. So we take it very seriously."

In an interview with Sky's Anna Jones, Mr Lewis went on to defend the move.
"If it's clear someone is downloading pirated copies or have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately and yes we lock that account down and we're unapologetic about that," he said.

Full Story: sky.com (incl. video interview)

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

AMEN.

vinz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Nov 12 2009, 10:59 PM) *

AMEN.

PRAISE THE LAWD!! SWEET JESUS IN HEAVEN!

CardnalSyn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »

"Clearly it's important for us to be able to stamp down on that to protect the 10 million people that are already on Xbox 360 in Europe for instance."

Protect them from WHAT?!?!

rossmac

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(CardnalSyn @ Nov 12 2009, 11:07 PM) View Post

"Clearly it's important for us to be able to stamp down on that to protect the 10 million people that are already on Xbox 360 in Europe for instance."

Protect them from WHAT?!?!

Rising prices of games caused by others not purchasing it?

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »

there is a video included with the linked article and he also says the estimates are exaggerated

CardnalSyn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(rossmac @ Nov 12 2009, 04:08 PM) View Post

oh...i thought they made up the difference by charging already outrageous prices for accessories and add ons...

T3chWarrior

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »

LMFAO
Here is my middle finger to microsoft
.l..

notmyrealname

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »

CRONIES.

they're all proud in sh!t, they should be ashamed of their lack of skills, yes we still don't know how they're doing it it, but for 4+ years it was us laughing at them, and they have a whole team of engineers behind them.

cocky  mofos, that's the reason Windows and Microsoft is the #1 hackable platform.

I know what hurts them....
that one guy has outsmarted him for so long and he's doing it out of goodwill, and "big shocker" no profit involved...gasp...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif),,,, M$ go suck a lemon.

phigmeta

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

And i am unapologetic about buying a wii this weekend ... no biggy xbox folks.... but guess who just purchased a Wii and preordered Mario for the wii.

Piracy sells your platform you freaking morons

I buy a lot of games ... but not for the xbox anymore. Once folks figure out how they ban and can prevent it ... I will consider buying games for the 360 again.

noobcube

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(rossmac @ Nov 12 2009, 05:08 PM) View Post

They're not protecting anyone from anything. In fact, banning Xbox Live members/consoles will just mean less people online; so it's going to hurt the XBL/online community.

have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately

Really, we can use our 360's to download games illegitimately? And I've been using my PC this whole time  uhh.gif

we're unapologetic about that

ohmy.gif

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

"If it's clear someone is downloading pirated copies or have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately and yes we lock that account down and we're unapologetic about that," he said.

That's okay, we're unapologetic about modifying our purchased xboxes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by xboxjason: Nov 12 2009, 11:30 PM

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(rossmac @ Nov 12 2009, 10:08 PM) View Post

Absolute bollocks (pardon my French)

Halo was the biggest selling game for the original Xbox and didn't go Platinum until...? Yep, Halo 2, approx 2.5 years later? Why? Because they were still shifting copies at £40 ($70) a pop in the UK. More recently, CoD: MW was still being sold at retail price because it was still moving off store shelves. It's still the same price as MW2 in most stores!

Now look at LBP and KillZone 2 for the PS3: Both have been reduced in price within 12 months of release (in fact LBP was discounted to £10 within 4 months). Are you telling me they're reduced because they're selling well?

Not once has the games industry demonstrated a desire to reward the purchasing of games by reducing the costs because sales are exceptionally high. In the business world, it's counter-intuitive. I don't blame MS for doing what they've done, however the age old excuse "to pay for the ones who pirate the games" has grown grey hairs. If truth be told, if we ALL stopped buying games the price would plummet. Games are priced as any other item (even those which cannot be duplicated): If it keeps selling, keep the price as is. Once interest starts to wane, drop the price (release as a Platinum title).

So buy your games if you want to (I do and am quite happy to do so at the right price!), but don't blame the high cost on others as it's simply untrue.

dragonranger

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

what is the thing that M$ try to protect those Legit XBL gamers from?
HOw does it protect them by banning modded console?

BEVEL

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »

stop the crying lol

This post has been edited by BEVEL: Nov 12 2009, 11:46 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6