xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Microsoft Confirms 600k-1M Banned Consoles?  (Read 971 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Confirms 600k-1M Banned Consoles?
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 11 22:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Since yesterday's rumour about the amount of consoles banned from LIVE during this Ban Wave (altho I wonder if I should still call it a 'wave') lots of general-public news sites started posting it as a fact today. It even seems like msnbc (FYI: a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC) puts these numbers in the mouth of the Redmond company:

Anywhere between an estimated 600,000 and 1 million players who use Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service will be cut off from the service because they have modified their game consoles or played games that were illegally downloaded from file-sharing sites, according to the company.

However a real quote made today by Microsoft on venturebeat.com says:

"While we don't comment on specific numbers, Microsoft's commitment to combat piracy and support safer and more secure game play for the more than 20 million members of the Xbox Live community remains a top priority. All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and modifying their Xbox 360 console violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live.  We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken."

You'll notice the latter part of the quote is also on the msnbc article.
So while the number might be right (or not), I believe this rumour got out of hand and Microsoft never actually confirmed these numbers to anyone, at least not on-the-record. FYI: There are about 33M consoles sold worldwide (19M in US/CA) to-date and about 20M Xbox LIVE users.
And ... I'm not even gonna start about how inaccurate and incomplete many of these articles are ;)

sofa king dumb

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

man thats higher than goku's power level when he fought vegeta....
(IMG:http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/c/c9/Banned_until_past_9000.jpg)

This post has been edited by sofa king dumb: Nov 12 2009, 04:35 AM

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Nov 12 2009, 04:30 AM) *

Posted by XanTium | November 11 22:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

(altho I wonder if I should still call it a 'wave')

Perhaps this should be termed as "ban tsunami"?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Has anyone noticed on live the lit area showing users online is starting to darken quite a bit?

This post has been edited by xboxjason: Nov 12 2009, 04:45 AM

LEXS

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(sofa king dumb @ Nov 12 2009, 03:34 AM) View Post

man thats higher than goku's power level when he fought vegeta....
IPB Image

I wonder if you would hand down your xbox from generation to generation until it reaches the year 9999 the ban would be lifted?  I'm sure ms would still exist but then again would the world?

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »

This ban will go until everyone with a modded console is banned.

I do believe at this point there wont be many left on Live by the time this new firmware comes out that is supposed to address this.

M0t0rPen1s

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »

Microsoft is forcing many people ( who shall now be forced to play only legit games on a new console ) to defect to SONY . Well PS3 execs must be rubbing their hands in glee. Stupid Microsoft , Losing 1M worth of Live subscribers & Around 20% of that number will defect to SONY.

My advice to everyone is to stay Offline for now & try to be back online when iXtreme 1.7 is out

amak1131

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

Won't matter. M$ found a way to read the FW behavior and if you have booted on live once you are flagged. Just pray they pass you by.

jamesnmandy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

i think it was something in the October 28th update that was the trigger or final killswitch

would be interesting to see how many people that flashed back to stock FW before that last update are still untouched

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

What would happen if M$ finds out of their 20 million live users, then end up banning about 70% or more of them because if mods, and other various factors, and only 6 million or less are left playing on XBOX Live?

Then what? -- Scrap the x360, call it an failure due to piracy, and release a new Live3 system and matching new slim console in nice matt black-finish with an blu-ray and wireless built-in?

Hmm.

It would just be cheaper for M$ in the end, just to buy Sony, as the PS3 is last standing uncrackable console!

This post has been edited by garyopa: Nov 12 2009, 05:06 AM

JBmtk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »

Someone should probably start a thread like in previous ban hammers with content such as what games played and firmware.

There is just gonna be a continuous flood of bitching from here on out, maybe we could try to figure something out here....

skyliner99

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »

If those posted numbers are correct, then thats 1 in 20 banned meaning 5% of their userbase is banned/getting banned. I would agree this is more of a ban tsunami than a ban wave. Oh well, let the cat and mouse continue, we have the next move.

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »

there will be more bans at holiday break (students who have not been home) and lots of news about this again the week after gift giving (kids who received second hand consoles as gifts)

m$ surely made a presumed guess of how many people they would be banned and it will probably be more in the end, but i still doubt it will be that many (1 million) because they see a lot of games

ThugPlayer05

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »

posted in the other thread but I also just got the banhammer.
FW 1.6
Not all my back-ups were ripped by me.
All my back-ups were checked and autofix'd with ABGX360.
I did have to boot MW2 with activate.iso though.

Played about 4 hours MW2 online before i got banned.

BrothaJay

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »

Who are we foolin? we all knew the risks involved when we modded, it was a good run, why cry over a companies right to protect there so called assets? Do I agree HELL NO! I don't like the idea that they can give us the ability to install games to hdd and TAKE IT AWAY when they see fit. Was this an original feature? But anyway in the end if you like Live and M$ go ahead buy a new system and continue to complain when they pull some ol BS in the future. I personally already have a PS3 but I primarily use it for movie watching. In my opinion even IF LIVE WAS FREE it would be a waste of $$$, until the have an ADULT ONLY version count me out, all the 12 year old, RACIST, SEXIST, HOMOPHOBE'S can have it. GOOD RIDDANCE! roster updates and game fixing patches aside I won't miss the non-stop ignorance known as XBOX LIVE. Sorry Scene just my 2 cents, don't intend to inflame or insult. Peace.

amak1131

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(JBmtk @ Nov 11 2009, 09:15 PM) View Post

Someone should probably start a thread like in previous ban hammers with content such as what games played and firmware.

There is just gonna be a continuous flood of bitching from here on out, maybe we could try to figure something out here....

It has been figured out. M$ has managed to detect different behavior between stock and iXtreme FW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6