xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: My 54420 Box Got Unbanned?  (Read 1170 times)

Toddler

• Archived User
My 54420 Box Got Unbanned?
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

Forgive me for the massive quoting, but it's the quickest way to give the background.

Basically, my "flagged" box now appears to have been "unflagged" by Microsoft.  I'm not claiming this is a sure-fire thing by any means, I'm just reporting what I observed.

QUOTE(Cedru @ Nov 8 2009, 08:29 AM) *

My brother has an Arcade with a 20GB HD (that is not relevent) that was flagged on the support site.  Wasn't banned yet, but still got the 54420 error code.  He's got a BenQ Drive in there and had 1.61 installed on it.  When he seen that error code, assuming he was Flagged but not yet banned, he reverted to his OFW.   After switching back to his OFW, the mysterious inquiry sound was made on his drive (where it gets loud and spins fast.) while playing COD4 (his original.)  

This morning, it is reported that he can now do a support (RROD) request and NOT get the 54420 error code.

I am not trying to initiate speculation here - just reporting something that MAY be relevant.

QUOTE(Toddler @ Nov 8 2009, 11:24 AM) *

That's the most interesting thing I've read in a good many pages of this thread.

Obviously, when a console receives a ban, there is a routine which runs on the 360.  It could well be that this routine begins with some sort of "mod check" before invoking the ban.  If that check returns "success" then it bans the console and returns the results, or if the check returns "fail" then it just returns results.  If Microsoft has enough confidence in their "mod check" to ban consoles based on those results, it would be logical to put an equal level of confidence on those results and "unflag" consoles.

I (like many) have assumed thus far that there's no point reverting a modded console to stock firmware, based on the "if you're flagged, you can't stop it" theory.  But the only ones who know how it works are Microsoft, and here is a case which indicates it may not be as we've all assumed.  And if the 200+ pages of confusion are any indication, a good number of our assumptions to this point may well be wrong.

If you're getting the 54420 error but haven't been banned yet, why not flash back to stock firmware, drop in an original disc and sign into Live?  I see no reason not to try it, unless you're just terribly afraid of losing the hard drive feature.

QUOTE(mhouldey @ Nov 8 2009, 11:45 AM) *

That little brother story is interesting.  Obviously there is the standard possibility that it is not a true story, either because someone is purposely lying or genuinely mistaken.  I hope the guy keeps us updated.

QUOTE(Cedru @ Nov 8 2009, 12:15 PM) *

This is a true statement... I have no reason to post bs as I am very well into this whole ban thing and would like to see everyone that still has a chance to NOT get banned...  i will keep updating, although posting about it every hour on the hour would be somewhat redundant.  

I will definately post back the results of the Support page and his Live status on a daily basis, if that is what you are asking.

QUOTE(Toddler @ Nov 8 2009, 01:18 PM) *

You go here:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/default.aspx

Register your console(s) and then try to submit a service request.  If you get a form where you submit information about your repair, that's normal.  If you get an error page and the URL references 54420, then all reports indicate your console has been flagged to be banned.

I've flashed my supposedly-flagged, 54420 BenQ console back to stock.  It's connected to XBL with Rock Band 1 in the drive.  No change yet.

QUOTE(realitybytes @ Nov 8 2009, 01:20 PM) *

This will be interesting to follow, I look forward to hearing your results.

QUOTE(zeppy218 @ Nov 8 2009, 01:21 PM) *

very interested in these results, please keep us updated and thanks for taking the risk.

QUOTE(Toddler @ Nov 8 2009, 01:26 PM) *

Thanks, it's not much risk in my case.  I haven't even had Gold for quite a while, don't care much about the hard drive feature either.  And I've got another modded, unflagged (if that's what the 54420 really means) system which has literally never been powered on, sitting in a closet just in case I ever do care.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Toddler @ Nov 8 2009, 10:28 PM) *

Figured I'd update you guys.  It is still not banned, but the site still shows the 54420 error.  I'm pretty sure its day is coming, it's just a matter of time.

After flashing back to stock, I played some RB1, TB:RB and LRB yesterday.  I left my 360 running all night long, sitting at the dashboard with LRB in the drive.  This morning I checked my online warranty status and I was able to submit a repair request for the box that previously gave me the 54420 error.  This evening, I'm still online and still able to submit a repair request.

It could be a coincidence, but has anyone other than me and Cedru's brother seen the 54420 error go away?  I really don't want to get everyone's hopes up for nothing.

wrxwabbit

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »

It didn't work for me, I haven't been on live for 3 days because of the fear of being ban. I had the 54420 error when requesting a repair, so I decided to flash back my hitachi to stock and log on to live and was happy i wasn't ban yet. But I was playing Left for dead 2 demo for an hour then bam i got disconnected and sure enough i got the message saying console is banned. Goddamit i pay the price and now i gotta buy another xbox to play mw2 sad.gif.

DiscoveryX360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

How long did you stay on playing with the orig fw wabbit? You should have started playing the second you reflashed it back to orig and left it on the entire night.

Toddler

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(wrxwabbit @ Nov 9 2009, 11:01 PM) View Post

It didn't work for me, I haven't been on live for 3 days because of the fear of being ban. I had the 54420 error when requesting a repair, so I decided to flash back my hitachi to stock and log on to live and was happy i wasn't ban yet. But I was playing Left for dead 2 demo for an hour then bam i got disconnected and sure enough i got the message saying console is banned. Goddamit i pay the price and now i gotta buy another xbox to play mw2 sad.gif.

Doesn't sound like you had an original in the drive, and I don't see why "now" you have to buy another 360 to play MW2, since you wouldn't have taken it online anyway...am I missing something?

Sorry to hear how it turned out for you.

wrxwabbit

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(DiscoveryX360 @ Nov 9 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post

How long did you stay on playing with the orig fw wabbit? You should have started playing the second you reflashed it back to orig and left it on the entire night.

Yes right after i flash my xbox, i went straight to live and played the retail arcade game that came with my xbox since thats the only retail game I have lol. And started browsing dashbaord and download demo of l4d 2. So the estimate time on live was 2 hours before i got banned.

DiscoveryX360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(wrxwabbit @ Nov 10 2009, 12:31 AM) View Post

Yes right after i flash my xbox, i went straight to live and played the retail arcade game that came with my xbox since thats the only retail game I have lol. And started browsing dashbaord and download demo of l4d 2. So the estimate time on live was 2 hours before i got banned.

Weird, I've been on 8+ hours today since reverting back to orig haven't been banned yet.

Maybe you where flagged to the point of no return

wrxwabbit

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Toddler @ Nov 9 2009, 07:28 PM) View Post

Doesn't sound like you had an original in the drive, and I don't see why "now" you have to buy another 360 to play MW2, since you wouldn't have taken it online anyway...am I missing something?

Sorry to hear how it turned out for you.

nope, i didn't had mw2 game or any other backup in my drive before i log on live besides the retail arcade game. And I don't play prerelease games on this console, but I have played on my other xbox360 that ocassioanly rrod with different hd.

DiscoveryX360, you are lucky hopefully you wont eventually get banned.  For now im  staying legit and stay away from modding console, I can't afford another console. sad.gif

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

This seems really hopeful.

My current situation is a 1.6 Liteon, that's coming up with the 54420 error but hasn't been banned yet. The issue here being that there's no original Liteon FW to flash back onto the drive.

I'm *hoping* the new iXtreme LT FW will pass the spin-up disc check. So if I leave my 360 turned off until the new firmware's released, flash it, and then play for a while with a retail game until the 54420 error goes away, I should be left with an unbanned 360 : D

dajo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(111111 @ Nov 10 2009, 07:38 AM) View Post

My current situation is a 1.6 Liteon, that's coming up with the 54420 error but hasn't been banned yet. The issue here being that there's no original Liteon FW to flash back onto the drive.

I'm *hoping* the new iXtreme LT FW will pass the spin-up disc check. So if I leave my 360 turned off until the new firmware's released, flash it, and then play for a while with a retail game until the 54420 error goes away, I should be left with an unbanned 360 : D

im in the same situation
hopefully c4eva will come up with an undetectable fw

elexion

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »

if you want undetectable fw, try to do a spoof to other drive(not liteon) with oryginal firmware. so you will have original drive in it and this is the only way to do the trick, because new fw have no ETA, and the bannwave is getting to end(13th?) if there will be no time to unflag your console before that, you will be baned 4 ever.

This post has been edited by elexion: Nov 10 2009, 01:52 PM

HUmarX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(111111 @ Nov 9 2009, 11:38 PM) View Post

lmao. wishful thinking much?

mhouldey

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(DiscoveryX360 @ Nov 10 2009, 05:34 AM) View Post

Weird, I've been on 8+ hours today since reverting back to orig haven't been banned yet.
Maybe you where flagged to the point of no return

Or maybe this method doesn't actually work.  I.e. maybe the 54420 error doesn't mean anything/what we think it means and/or flashing back to OFW does nothing.

I think unless the method works for loads and every person then the effect of the method is just coincidence.

Not bashing, just saying, I'm not sure this method is proven.  So, when someone gets banned even though they performed it, we shouldn't be like, 'Omg, how on Earth did that happen, he did the tried and tested 100% proven method to unban!?'.

Good luck, all.

QUOTE(111111 @ Nov 10 2009, 06:38 AM) View Post

Again, has the 'spin-up disc check' been proven to be the final test before a ban?  I don't think it has to be honest.  I'm confused why people are assuming things are facts. sad.gif

g-sas

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »

If this method really does work then I am not flagged. I am on 1.6 with (almost) only original games.

zoltrix2590

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »

Im on a Liteon with 1.5 fw. The only games i ever play online is L4d and Gears 2.

I called microsoft the other day to try and get a free HDD transfer cable, and in the process the guy registered my xbox over the phone.

On the website, my xbox comes up as a pro bundle, but it's an elite?
Also, it says my warranty is over March 3rd 2010. Thats quite a random date since i bought my xbox December 2008..

Either way, i too get the 54420 error...

All my friends got banned except for me. All my friends play newer games except for me. I played on live last night for over 3 hours and im not banned. I havent checked this morning yet, but ill check tonight

EDIT: I re-registered my console. Still comes up as a pro, but now the warranty is one month less then before. Also the newly registered one does not get the 54420 error. And how do i remove them from the list now that i have 2 of the same console lol?

Also, im on Gears of War 2 Online with no problems.

This post has been edited by zoltrix2590: Nov 10 2009, 04:38 PM

Bucket Monster

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »

Is it possible to flash a Liteon7xxx back to original, I would like to try this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7