xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Major Nelson Tweets About Halo ODST Bans *Update: MS Detects Copies?*  (Read 2155 times)

virux

• Archived User
Major Nelson Tweets About Halo ODST Bans *Update: MS Detects Copies?*
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Poopmonkey @ Sep 4 2009, 04:10 AM) *

It's not like a game from France will even work on a US 360 console due to region codes. Anyways, I think thats bull because I can go ahead a buy a US retail game on ebay that was bought on the other coast than me and I get banned because I didn't buy it in my region? Since when do we have to buy games from our state or our city?!?! I think you got your facts crossed.

Region Free games... Anyways thats beside the point they didn't they used this method for all games they're using it for HALO ODST so you buying a US Retail of ODST right now and play it = Unlikely. The whole point is if your in a certain region where they have shipped the game to and you manage to buy a copy and they see that your in that region your fine. It's most likely you bought it legitimately. If your in town C but only town B has it and town C is nowhere near a place that could get it now that's something fishy. Just listen to the New Podcast it's like 20 - 30 mins in when they introduce @Stepto.

ampedXR

• Recovered User
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »

nearly 4 years into the 360 scene and the noobs that keep showing up and posting still never fail to amuse me.

Why do some people talk when they have absolutely no clue what they are saying?

psxcite

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(ampedXR @ Sep 3 2009, 11:48 PM) View Post

nearly 4 years into the 360 scene and the noobs that keep showing up and posting still never fail to amuse me.

Why do some people talk when they have absolutely no clue what they are saying?

Can I get an amen?

stormz

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(majinsoftware @ Sep 4 2009, 03:55 AM) View Post

I heard each Halo ODST disks have a unique id on it. So if the same id is online on more then 1 console at a time every one who ever uses that id gets banned. No problem here tho for me, all my games are legit and only have a single backup that only I use myself.

ive often thought they could do that. although i doubt they would ban people if only 2 or 3 copies of the same game went online. after all i have a friend who buys games, copies them and then sells the original on ebay. i think its only when the copy get uploaded to the internet and you have 100s of people playing the same copy

majinsoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(stormz @ Sep 4 2009, 07:33 AM) View Post

ive often thought they could do that. although i doubt they would ban people if only 2 or 3 copies of the same game went online. after all i have a friend who buys games, copies them and then sells the original on ebay. i think its only when the copy get uploaded to the internet and you have 100s of people playing the same copy

Retail games your cant because it would cost to much, They are made with a master stamp that doesn't change. But with some test/review/pre-release games they have a few different stamps for each tester so they can identify who leaks them.

But the main question is, Is the leaked version on the net a final retail (which has all version the same) or is a special one (being French only language instead of multi leads to it being more a special identifiable version)
But only MS knows for sure at this time. But IMO why risk it, Just do what I have and pre-order it.

Libtoem

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(majinsoftware @ Sep 4 2009, 08:19 AM) *

Retail games your cant because it would cost to much, They are made with a master stamp that doesn't change. But with some test/review/pre-release games they have a few different stamps for each tester so they can identify who leaks them.
But the main question is, Is the leaked version on the net a final retail (which has all version the same) or is a special one (being French only language instead of multi leads to it being more a special identifiable version)
But only MS knows for sure at this time. But IMO why risk it, Just do what I have and pre-order it.

Yes,when a game is final its ready to be shipped out.If it was not a final retail it would be a debug/review version and would not play on a retail kit.

Hellzone

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Libtoem @ Sep 4 2009, 08:45 AM) View Post

Yes,when a game is final its ready to be shipped out.If it was not a final retail it would be a debug/review version and would not play on a retail kit.

rolleyes.gif wait a tick that gave me a great idea !

ZakMcRofl

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »

WTF do people expect Microsoft to say? "While we cannot detect fully stealthed copies of this games, we can detect the XXX release due to corrupt game data" ?
Of course they claim that they will catch each and every pirate. But obviously they can only detect it as long as people play unverified, in this case clearly flawed copies.

All other explanations I've read so far (UniqueID on a pressed disk, ban by distance from leak) are ridiculous, baseless and against all logic.

jkoz

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »

So... are gamertags being banned? Or is it just the system? If it's gamertags, I'm never connecting my system even though I didn't play it on my GT since it's linked by console ID... and if I sell it, it's still linked. On the other hand, if it's just my system that would get banned, I'll keep it unplugged for a bit from the internet, and unplug it from the wall for awhile too, throw a bunch of different games in to push the game list down, if it's stored on the 360's flash I guess. Can't think of much else to do.

Intersect

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

If they implement their security right, they can detect any backup at any time regardless of "stealth" or not. Microsoft are not stupid, they can run any code to check anything they want at any time. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't looked at the code.

This post has been edited by Intersect: Sep 4 2009, 08:41 AM

ej2095+1

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »

Makes sense you play a game that has not been officaly released anywhere going to make microsoft take notice (Esp when its one of there own)

With regards to playing the game early.. if memory serves me right when you dissconect teh 360 from mains teh xbox looses the time and date (Stupid console)

It only regains this if you connect to live or set it your self...

So if you play a game early and the xbox does indeed store the time and date of teh game u played it wil store the date it thinks it is.

Hence once the game has been released you might be safe in playing this online (It might wonder though how the hell u completed the game on relase day!)

Also sure Halo 3 got leaked by Argos here in the uk when that first came out...

Ha i was right "http://www.reghardwa...halo3_release/"

The burks lol

virux

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/08/30/...elicia-day.aspx
2Hrs 05Mins In The Conversation They Talk About Halo ODST and the banning...

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Intersect @ Sep 4 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

If they implement their security right, they can detect any backup at any time regardless of "stealth" or not. Microsoft are not stupid, they can run any code to check anything they want at any time. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't looked at the code.

The problem with that theory is that while they might be able to detect discrepancies that could be a sign of a modded console or a backup disc, they cannot act on it unless they're 100% sure the box is really hacked. The negative publicity they'd get when they started banning legit boxes is much more harmful than the piracy itself.

Also, I think you're underestimating the people involved in hacking all these different drives, they actually *can* see the (disassembled) code in the drive firmware. It's very unlikely Microsoft is able to extract and verify the dvd firmware for all drive types, and all other known tricks to find out if someone tempered with it or the challenges used to detect a copied disc in the tray should be covered by the hacked firmware.

That said, a bad disc that is obviously not identical to the retail disc because there's stuff missing or incorrect, that's really easy to detect by simple inspection of the DVD layout, security sectors and checksums. It's much more likely Microsoft does extra checking on the ODST disc, especially if you go online with it, and maybe even planted the ISO as a bait, than that they suddenly introduced some fail-safe way of identifying a hacked console or copied disc.

ZakMcRofl

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Intersect @ Sep 4 2009, 09:40 AM) View Post

And what code have you looked at? Drive firmware? Please enlighten us how Microsoft is supposed to detect a backup when the drive firmware is compromised and a black box to the 360.

If you know specific drive commands that Microsoft could use to detect backups, please share them and notify C4Eva. However I highly doubt that you do.

If you're the Intersect from xboxhacker I have to say I am very surprised by your lack of competence in this regard. Proper backups are undetectable given the right drive firmware.

dangerpaki

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(kingatrock @ Sep 4 2009, 03:41 AM) View Post

They say they can detect copies of that game specifically being played early (even if its a legit disc). I take it as they're doing what they did with the crackdown/halo3 beta, just putting some bait out and waiting for the fish to bite. They can't detect anything more than that.

Exactly what I thought when they released a new update and shortly after that Halo was leaked. The game isn't verified and obviously has some flows in it because the game is repacked, so people will get banned.

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Sep 4 2009, 09:25 AM) View Post

WTF do people expect Microsoft to say? "While we cannot detect fully stealthed copies of this games, we can detect the XXX release due to corrupt game data" ?
Of course they claim that they will catch each and every pirate. But obviously they can only detect it as long as people play unverified, in this case clearly flawed copies.

All other explanations I've read so far (UniqueID on a pressed disk, ban by distance from leak) are ridiculous, baseless and against all logic.

They can't detect each and every console, because they cannot directly detect the modded firmware. If they were able to, they would simply ban you the second you came online and were detected with a modified firmware. Simple as that. They can only detect the crap you put into it and by that I mean unverified copies of games. Simple as that. But ofcourse they are gonna claim that they can detect all of the mods, if they wouldn't than all of a nobody would fall for the bate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14