xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Major Nelson about Silverlight ads on Xbox 360  (Read 584 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Major Nelson about Silverlight ads on Xbox 360
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 1 23:46 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

I've seen quite a bit of discussion today about how we're bringing Silverlight ads to LIVE in the future.
I need to let you know that you don't need to worry about a huge influx of ads across the dashboard. One of our core principles is to enhance, not interfere with the gaming experience, and we work directly with our partners to only deliver experiences that are relevant to the LIVE community. Silverlight will help make those ads a more organic part of the dashboard, like we've done with some of the NXE slots in the past. No one on the team wants to turn the dashboard into something that looks like like Shibuya Crossing. That's just not good for anyone.

D3m0n1k

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »

The most annoying thing I have seen are the ads in EA sports games.
Tiger Woods 09...
I start the game, load up, tee off, and then I get a gamefly ad across my screen.
WHY?

$50 for Live, $60 for the game....so I paid for ads?
Lame.
I am going to move to the PS3 exclusively if this happens.

This post has been edited by D3m0n1k: Jul 2 2009, 05:09 AM

BuforTjstass

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

I agree.

If I'm paying for xbox live and games, I don't want to be bombarded with adds like I'm watching over the air tv. Maybe they'll use this to raise prices for another level of "premium" service. Regular xbox live gold for a mere 50 a year, and another more expensive level of un-ad supported service. The sheer greed of corporate america never ceases to amaze me.

bubbafett4hire

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

OK Major what ever you say , cause having an ad on the dash for the Starz channel is so game related

dialtone187

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »

boycott xbox live!!!! I'm fucking tired of the greed of microsoft and if they continue bombarding me with ads on my paid month gold acct (ya im not even getting a discount by buying an entire year) I'm just going to use my PS3 exclusively for online gaming. We as a consumer need to ban together if they continue to send MS a message otherwise they will think the consumer will tolerate this and push it up another notch until the lazy sheep of a consumer finally can't take it anymore and yells baaaaa.

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »

Surely we pay so that we don't have to see ads? M$ really has issues, now im not one to complain that the live price is too much, i think its alright, but if they're going to be bringing in ads, then im expecting live to be cheaper or free, 'cause its not like it's paying for dedicated servers for the games that really need them.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 03:13:00 AM »

Sorry Major, but you're missing the point. Advertisements never enhance an experience, they just cause clutter. Ads on a paid-for service is just a big no-no. Whoever decided that it would be ok to generate revenue at subscribers' expense should be taken out and shot.

If you want to make money on Ads, make it a free service.
If you want to make money on the service, remove the Ads.

If you decide you want to do BOTH, you'll have noone to show the Ads to as people will move away from the platform.

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »

I thought the whole idea of a subscription based service was to pay for the service, a bit like the BBC in the UK that air no adverts but broadcast quality programes. Surely if M$ want to advertise they should drop the yearly subs. You cant have both Microsoft or you will lose in the end...

PC online (STEAM) = Free play
PC online (Games for windows) = Free play
PC online (Many other game suppliers) = Free play
PS3 online = Free Play
Wii Online = Free Play

Xbox Live (£39.99 a year) = Expensive online play, full of lagging servers & many adverts all over the shop soon to become Way to many adverts all over the shop when all i want to do is play online.

Mmmm me thinks this will be a nail in the coffin for Xbox live..

zainday

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

Ads will enhance gaming as much as commercials enhance movies? Why do you think tivo and ddr's are so popular? We're all tired of SPAM....EVERYWHERE!
People play games to escape corporate and government take over and now you got the government pounding at everyones door and the corporations flooding every possible source of entertainment with there spam....
Are they gonna include really good ones....like the musinex BOOGERS dancing on my screen....or how about a couple of those feminine odor commercials....maybe we can get some of those on live to ENHANCE the gaming experience...
You say that it will be limited....I DOUBT IT!
NO MORE ADS or I will just cancel live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »

nice work Major - trying to justify the ad's.

this is why XBL will never become the most popular online gaming service,

pay to play online, loads of adverts, & lack of dedicated servers.

bravo Microsoft, bravo - you really know what the customer wants.

# if ad's get out of hand (which they probably will), we should spread the word to call up Microsoft & cancel our Gold memberships with the reason that "We Do Not Want Advertisements On XBOX Live" - if enough of us do it, they may listen & take us seriously.

This post has been edited by K1LLERHORNET: Jul 2 2009, 12:42 PM

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(D3m0n1k @ Jul 2 2009, 12:08 AM) View Post

The most annoying thing I have seen are the ads in EA sports games.
Tiger Woods 09...
I start the game, load up, tee off, and then I get a gamefly ad across my screen.
WHY?

$50 for Live, $60 for the game....so I paid for ads?
Lame.
I am going to move to the PS3 exclusively if this happens.

QUOTE(dialtone187 @ Jul 2 2009, 03:12 AM) View Post

boycott xbox live!!!! I'm fucking tired of the greed of microsoft and if they continue bombarding me with ads on my paid month gold acct (ya im not even getting a discount by buying an entire year) I'm just going to use my PS3 exclusively for online gaming. We as a consumer need to ban together if they continue to send MS a message otherwise they will think the consumer will tolerate this and push it up another notch until the lazy sheep of a consumer finally can't take it anymore and yells baaaaa.

Really, I mean really how much time do you guys spend in the dashboard?  I usually either just load my game, look in the game content download section to get addons and arcade games.  Sometimes change settings.  I don't really think the ads will hurt you.  Its not like they prevent you from going to other parts of your dashboard or intrude in anyway.  Sure its probably not the best thing for them to do since you do pay for service and most people pay for their games.  Maybe some people just like to nit-pick and bitch about everything and anything they can?

BTW
Have fun on your PS3!  The online gameplay is nothing compared to live.

zainday

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »

NOPE!
People are bitching because people DON'T WANT IT!
Why even have forums if you don't want to hear the opinions.....
I've noticed that people want opinions only if they are agreed opinions and if not, then it's acceptable to attack the person with the opposing opinion.
SAD , REALLY SAD!
Head moderator telling his MEMBERS that they are all bitching....GJ!?!????
Ya ps3 network isn't as good as live BUT its free and doesnt have spam (yet)!
Alot of people just think that enough is enough! Everywhere you go there more and more spam.
People will just have to hunker down and go without to force the powers that be, that the money isn't comming anymore! It's all about endurance!

This post has been edited by zainday: Jul 2 2009, 01:20 PM

BigIg91

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »

Meh, good thing I don't use the piece of shit known has Xbox Live anymore.

(Note: It's not just XBL, I just hate multiplayer in general.  But I hate annoying 7 year old kids when I'm not paying for it, not alone when I am)

This post has been edited by BigIg91: Jul 2 2009, 02:54 PM

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »

Having ads on a service you pay for really sucks...  and I imagine the ads show even when you're offline?

tech3475

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »

Microsoft's list of greed:
1. charge for extras which devs want to be free (e.g. GOW map packs, etc)
2. charge £40 for XBL/year
3. Have adverts on a paid service.
4. MS points, you have to pay £20 when you may only want a £10 game.
5. Forcing the NXE onto its consumers (its ok, but I still prefer the old dashboard).

Seriously, for gold subscribers you have an excuse somewhat. But for Gold there is no excuse unless they receive something for it like a free movie a month or something.

Despite its faults, PSN seems to be getting somewhat more attractive. You have to laugh though at the idiots logic though.

This post has been edited by tech3475: Jul 2 2009, 03:50 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4