xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Video: Xbox 360 Games on Demand service  (Read 282 times)

swuu

• Archived User
Video: Xbox 360 Games on Demand service
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jun 7 2009, 12:33 PM) View Post

Yes, very true! No need for a working DVD drive for these games smile.gif

And yes, making an image of the HDD will work, but would be incredibly time consuming!

MS either have to release a much larger HDD, or just sell the enclosure kit and let us use whatever HDD we want!

Hmm... well as long as the files on the HDD are signed, I dont think it would matter what order it was compiled. Say you extract the games, store them on your pc, and recompile the hdd as you want when you want it. You would still be the only one who could use it. So no uploading to usenet

isthar

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »

anybody surprised by the Visa/Mastercard and money options showing up? I thought xbox live was only ms points!

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(isthar @ Jun 7 2009, 06:48 PM) View Post

anybody surprised by the Visa/Mastercard and money options showing up? I thought xbox live was only ms points!
I noticed that. That's about the only customer friendly thing about the new service. IMO they should do away with MSP and charge real money for everything on Marketplace. Forcing people to buy a large block of MSP just to buy a 100MSP theme etc might be good for business but it sucks for the customer. They should just charge real money like on Playstation store. MSP just mask the real money value of items and you end up with unused and useless MSP change.

warnos16v

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

I would hate to be in the business of selling games right now.. MS doing them out of business. What is your local EB going to be selling now?? just the Xbox?

Looks like we will be playing the Xbox 360 just like we used to play the original Xbox (modded) games straight off the HD.. cant wait for this to get modded...

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Jun 7 2009, 07:42 PM) View Post

I noticed that. That's about the only customer friendly thing about the new service. IMO they should do away with MSP and charge real money for everything on Marketplace. Forcing people to buy a large block of MSP just to buy a 100MSP theme etc might be good for business but it sucks for the customer. They should just charge real money like on Playstation store. MSP just mask the real money value of items and you end up with unused and useless MSP change.

It's better to have points it means a world wide pricing structure real money we will see all different prices for same content in different regions.

I think the best solution is to offer better point bundles the more you buy cheaper it gets.

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

I have a *small* hope that with this service,MS will start to allow to save this kind of content to an external device.If they don't,the sucess of it will be limited.

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(gamesquest1 @ Jun 8 2009, 01:39 AM) View Post

How long before the collest new xbox 360 verson dosnt have a ODD finally microsoft might have beaten the pirates then I think they got a bit of insperation from the psp go but, But i suppose it would be really cool as far as finally getting a smaller xbox 360 even if we just have slimline custom case mods or somthing tongue.gif

QUOTE(warnos16v @ Jun 8 2009, 10:51 AM) View Post

I would hate to be in the business of selling games right now.. MS doing them out of business. What is your local EB going to be selling now?? just the Xbox?

Looks like we will be playing the Xbox 360 just like we used to play the original Xbox (modded) games straight off the HD.. cant wait for this to get modded...

And that day will be they day the console fails worldwide. While America is 'Uncapped' (in quotes because IIRC the fineprint states otherwise, they just dont make there caps public and are quite large), 99% of the rest of the world (what a shock, theres actually land past America's border) dont have 'uncapped' data usage, are have quite high priced data caps. For example, i pay AU$59 p/m for 20Gb @1.5Mbps ADSL (cant get ADSL2+ due to the local exchange)

QUOTE(Ree1981 @ Jun 8 2009, 10:42 AM) View Post

That already exists with Wii and the modchip "FlatMii", which connects to your computer via. USB and shows you a list of ISOs you have on your HDD. biggrin.gif

Wont happen here though. They will be just like XBLA titles. Signed and DRM restricted. If its virtually impossible for us to do it now (virtually because it will take years to brute force the private key), this wont open anything up for installing our own games to the hard drive. And it most likely wouldnt be released as the main reason this would be used is for piracy anyway.

QUOTE(Charbless @ Jun 8 2009, 11:08 AM) View Post

It's better to have points it means a world wide pricing structure real money we will see all different prices for same content in different regions.

I think the best solution is to offer better point bundles the more you buy cheaper it gets.

I think they need to  just enable you to buy content directly via credit card, and have different variety's of point values. its annoying having 200 points and nothing worth spending it on, or being only a few points short of something you want and having the spend more than you need to to get that small amount of MS points

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(swuu @ Jun 7 2009, 04:57 PM) View Post

Hmm... well as long as the files on the HDD are signed, I dont think it would matter what order it was compiled. Say you extract the games, store them on your pc, and recompile the hdd as you want when you want it. You would still be the only one who could use it. So no uploading to usenet

The point isn't to commit piracy with it - you could have 120GB images on your HDD with selections of games on each. Effectively you could rotate your digital games collection without needing an extra HDD (or larger one).

Come on MS - put us out of our misery and announce a change in HDD storage!

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(ynwa @ Jun 8 2009, 12:07 PM) View Post

I like the idea, but MS need to have a word with ISPs like Virgin Media, who do not want you downloading large files. Once i hit the 3gb limit the reduce my speed by 75%. unfortunately the UK doesnt really have ISPs capable of supporting this.

Sky Broadband has no limitation caps on their mid or max services. You can download as much as you like and it won't affect your bandwidth.

The problem with Virgin are they're trying to intice customers to their services by offering 'Fibre Optic' bandwidth (up to 50Mbps, with 200Mbps being trialled now) but no capacity to sustain it. Therefore, they have to impose restrictions to downloads during peak times at massive reductions.

If games on demand are to really work, big changes will need to be made both in storage and ISP bandwidth limitations.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Charbless @ Jun 8 2009, 02:08 AM) View Post

That's more a convenience for Microsoft rather than the customer though. And we're going to be seeing different pricing structures for different countries with this new service anyway.  
QUOTE(ynwa @ Jun 8 2009, 12:07 PM) View Post

I like the idea, but MS need to have a word with ISPs like Virgin Media, who do not want you downloading large files. Once i hit the 3gb limit the reduce my speed by 75%. unfortunately the UK doesnt really have ISPs capable of supporting this.
You should look into switching to o2. I've been with them for almost a year now and have been very happy with their service. They genuinely don't have a download limit and they don't throttle or mess with customers connections. I pay just under £10 a month for a 16down 1up unlimited connection and the speeds are true to what's advertised. As long as they have LLU equipment installed in your local exchange (see HERE) then I highly recommend them wink.gif . But on the whole I totally agree with you about UK ISPs. The majority of them offer a shockingly bad service with unrealistic limits and restrictions. The UK is kinda behind when it comes to broadband.

JUANVAN

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(pholly @ Jun 7 2009, 03:21 PM) View Post

Same price for a digital copy that can't be resold, epic fail.

This is a 50/50 Epic Fail -

If you don't have a box, manual and disk you can't re-sell it.
If you could get a New game for 25-30$ over the download it would be worth it - kinda.
If you buy the game and they send you the box and game and everything - its over worth it. (new games only ofcourse)

If all you get is the DLC and nothing else - I would Not purchase these Ever.
Just got a copy of Bio Shock for 8$ no manual - but who cares better then the 20 they want and I can re sell it again or give it to a friend who has not played it..

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »

YaY now a chance to use some of my 120GB drive, no disks, yes please. This just reminds me of the Xbox 1 days n you could play games of the HDD.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jun 9 2009, 11:10 AM) *

YaY now a chance to use some of my 120GB drive, no disks, yes please. This just reminds me of the Xbox 1 days n you could play games of the HDD.

lol, my 120GB is already full from games installed to the HDD. I think I have about 600MB free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

sheriff2006

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(JUANVAN @ Jun 8 2009, 08:27 PM) *

This is a 50/50 Epic Fail -

If you don't have a box, manual and disk you can't re-sell it.
If you could get a New game for 25-30$ over the download it would be worth it - kinda.
If you buy the game and they send you the box and game and everything - its over worth it. (new games only ofcourse)

If all you get is the DLC and nothing else - I would Not purchase these Ever.
Just got a copy of Bio Shock for 8$ no manual - but who cares better then the 20 they want and I can re sell it again or give it to a friend who has not played it..

Brilliant observation!
Pages: 1 [2]