xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gears of War 2 Achievement Hacking: Banning has begun...  (Read 259 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Gears of War 2 Achievement Hacking: Banning has begun...
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | April 28 17:06 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

As you know, we are committed to keeping Xbox LIVE a safe and fair place to play for the more than 17 million active members. As part of our regular safety monitoring we have pinpointed a group of players who have unlocked specific Gears of War 2 Achievements through an unauthorized hack. Deliberate cheats like these are in direct violation of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and will not be tolerated. As I post this, we've begun taking steps to reset the Gamerscores of the offending players.  As I have mentioned in the past, this is something we do occasionally to keep the service free of cheating in order to maintain a fair and level playing field for everyone. If you play fair and earn your achievements without glitching or cheating, you have nothing to worry about. Read my original post that shows what a cheater looks like and head over to Xbox.com to read the Gamerscore correction FAQ that may answer some of your questions.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

Thats good  smile.gif

tehloxely

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

BYE CHEATERS!

Vandiemen911

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

The title mentions banning, yet the snippet mentions only resetting the gamerscore.  Am I missing something?

tabsaid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »

I hope they mean banning.  Cheaters belong offline.

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

What kind of cheating are they referring to? Since they're stopping it I guess there's nothing wrong with discussing it. I haven't played gears 2 in quite some time so I'm not sure what he's talking about.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

This is a load of nonsense. The "unauthorized hack" Major refers to isn't even a hack, it's simply an in game bug that Epic should have fixed ages ago. On top of that it doesn't even give the player any in game advantage over opponents so it has no affect on gamplay. All the glitch does is give the person a couple of extra achievements points along with a rank 100 icon next to their name without having to play the MP. Why can't Epic just sort their s#it out and fix the bug!?. It's been known about since Gears of War 1 yet they still do nothing about it and decide banning Live customers is the way forward?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . I can understand and would support the banning of people who use lag switches or tamper with game files to gain an advantage but this is just stupid IMO.

This post has been edited by sabbath_dude: Apr 28 2009, 10:58 PM

alvarado52

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

Yeah, they must be talking about the gamertag swap that gives a non-100 ranked player a 100 rank. Its very similar to the little glitch on Gears 1 that gave you the 'Seriously' achievement and all the online 100-kill achievements. I think Epic should just reset the ranks of the players...not really the gamerscores.

And truthfully, Microsoft and Epic need to focus on more pressing issues, like the whack host system and lag switch.

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

That sounds like a victimless crime, it seems that the score reset would be enough. It's sad people cheat to get achievements. It doesn't do anything and isn't worth anything so what's the point?

tbb033

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

Oh noes, someone got some useless points some other way than normal and are threatening the e-peen of others! Forget resets or banning, hunt them down and kill them and their loved ones! It's the only way they'll learn that achievements are serious business.

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Apr 28 2009, 10:56 PM) View Post

This is a load of nonsense. The "unauthorized hack" Major refers to isn't even a hack, it's simply an in game bug that Epic should have fixed ages ago. On top of that it doesn't even give the player any in game advantage over opponents so it has no affect on gamplay. All the glitch does is give the person a couple of extra achievements points along with a rank 100 icon next to their name without having to play the MP. Why can't Epic just sort their s#it out and fix the bug!?. It's been known about since Gears of War 1 yet they still do nothing about it and decide banning Live customers is the way forward?? blink.gif . I can understand and would support the banning of people who use lag switches or tamper with game files to gain an advantage but this is just stupid IMO.

I totally agree with you on this.

They need to be using there time to sort all the issues with the multiplayer side of the game rather then crying because some people have 100 next to there name.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

Well, rules are rules, and it's really that simple. So of course MS should take action.

I think it's sad that people boost their gamerscore, too. The reasons they do it is simple, though: to look cool. They can stand-out and be perceived as a "hardcore" gamer with so many points to their friends, and post on the Xbox forums to gain recognition.

It's still stupid imo but oh well.

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

In other news I believe I may have driven faster than the posted limits on my way to work this morning.

This post has been edited by jdsony: Apr 28 2009, 11:15 PM

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

An update from Major Nelson to clarify what's actually happening...
Let me clarify, in the headline for this post I say banning.

That's actually not correct...we're just doing the gamerscore reset. I wanted to to clarify. We do banning all the time as well, but that's another story.

stormz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

lol thats up too microsoft. sony will probably sell a few extra ps3's this week
Pages: [1] 2