xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hackers target Xbox Live players with DDoS Attacks  (Read 402 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Hackers target Xbox Live players with DDoS Attacks
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 20 16:24 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From news.bbc.co.uk:

Xbox Live is being targeted by malicious hackers selling services that kick players off the network.

The booting services are proving popular with players who want a way to get revenge on those who beat them in an Xbox Live game.

The attackers are employing data flooding tools that have been used against websites for many years.

Microsoft is "investigating" the use of the tools and said those caught using them would be banned from Xbox Live.

"There's been a definite increase in the amount of people talking about and distributing these things over the last three to four weeks," said Chris Boyd, director of malware research at Facetime Communications.

Full Story: news.bbc.co.uk

mist4fun

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »

Whats wrong with dos'ing someone because they called you a name?

Mhawk134

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »

Isn't this just like a halo host booter program? I remember when I used to get kicked completely off line, I thought it was my connection, but then figured out it was bk's booting me out of games. This is very annoying.

Hawk

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »

What are BKs?  And that is terrible news, I haven't ever heard of anyone doing this, but I really hope it doesn't become wide spread.

Meethatguy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

It all goes back to the  "im taking my ball and going home" crap from back in the day.
Its kids [and unfourtunatly very immature adults] that are either spoiled a shell and cant get over losing to someone... or they just can ttak elosing and scream and cry like little babies with wet diapers.

Its really sad that society has goten so bad thats kids dont know how to treat people, have no respect.. and cant even take the fact that there is someone who is better then them at something.
Its oathetic

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »

I agree with you totally Meethatguy this is probably every 11 year old's dream on xbox live. I'm sure now all those brats with over inflated egos will be able to show how "cool" they are by trying this shit to everyone who beats them in a fair fight. I hope Microsoft bans their asses good.

edit: Damn I just read the full story and this makes it even more scary of a thought, this is the first time I been with M$ on them banning someone.

This post has been edited by red_ring_of_box: Feb 21 2009, 03:40 AM

Ge4orce

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »

Wouldn't the computer's IP your using to do the attacks be different from the IP of the 360 on xbl?  How can they ban computers that arn't even trying to play on XBL..

Maybe the real way IP's work isn't what's in my head lol

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ge4orce @ Feb 20 2009, 06:52 PM) View Post

Wouldn't the computer's IP your using to do the attacks be different from the IP of the 360 on xbl?  How can they ban computers that arn't even trying to play on XBL..

Maybe the real way IP's work isn't what's in my head lol

All 'net connected devices on your local intranet, share the same WAN IP that is assigned by your router/modem.  DDoS that WAN IP and nothing on your network can can talk outside, infact your router will likely crash due to too many connections and will even need a reboot to allow local data traffic.

DeeRez

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

So now we have host-bridgers to make sure we don't get host, lag-switchers to make sure we don't win AND NOW DDoSer's who'll boot us offline if we do. C'mon microsoft, get those dedicated servers up and running for your games, you know it makes sense.

This post has been edited by DeeRez: Feb 21 2009, 04:16 AM

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(DeeRez @ Feb 20 2009, 07:16 PM) View Post

So now we have host-bridgers to make sure we don't get host, lag-switchers to make sure we don't win AND NOW DDoSer's who'll boot us offline if we do. C'mon microsoft, get those dedicated servers up and running for your games, you know it makes sense.

dedicated servers don't make too much more sense. you won't get ddos'd cause no one will have your IP but, lag wouldn't magically disappear. MS would have to basically put servers all over the world in order to ensure high quality for all users. if i were MS, i would do exactly what they're doing. it makes more sense on all fronts.

commenting more on the article. booting someone out of a game if you're the host isn't too difficult. it's all basic networking. the problem is if this becomes easy for any joe-schmo to do. kids will always be kids, it's what they do. some matches will have more lag than others, some matches you will have cheaters, etc. it's part of online gaming and always will be.

one more comment. if people are getting ddos'd after playing a match, there is no way for microsoft to know this. i can ddos anyone, there is no way for microsoft to know what i just did. especially if it's ddos (distributed denial of service) then, the dos attack isn't even coming from me. there is no way microsoft can protect an xbox live user from being ddos'd, simple as that.

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »

I agree, some dedicated game servers would be nice. We pay lots of money so i dont see why it couldnt be done. I pay $50 dollars a year and all im really paying for is a friends list. I dont really use the demos or net flix. In the mean time, I say BAN them all (DDos Attackers).

Meethatguy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

Whats even worse is... IS it really that easy to get our Ip's through live??

If so thats BS.
I mean, a normal person cant do jack with an IP address... but someone who knows there way around.

I mean, isnt that a bit of a privacy issue on MS's part?

sounds like a basis for a class action suit  lol

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Feb 20 2009, 10:55 PM) View Post

one more comment. if people are getting ddos'd after playing a match, there is no way for microsoft to know this. i can ddos anyone, there is no way for microsoft to know what i just did. especially if it's ddos (distributed denial of service) then, the dos attack isn't even coming from me. there is no way microsoft can protect an xbox live user from being ddos'd, simple as that.

agree, but MS can do what they do best and make threats...

besides a few laggy games, i personally haven't seen people get intentionally booted from games since Halo 2.

axess68

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »

Things like this are why I only play on Live with people I have on my friends list or are in a group of older gamers that I am part of.

Call of Duty 4 was the last straw for me. People of all ages were using "Lag Switches", etc. and it wiped the fun out of playing. It's pretty sad when certain people with a real loose grip on their egos have to resort to cheating, glitching, DDoS-ing, etc., to have to feel good about themselves.

Incidentally (speaking of MS making threats), it was really strange how I was suddenly getting 20+ kills per match just after MS announced they would be cracking down on cheaters on Live. A few days later, after it was clarified that they were going after gamerscore cheaters, my kills went back down to less than 10 per match.  Hmmmmm... interesting, eh?

This post has been edited by axess68: Feb 21 2009, 09:00 AM

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Meethatguy @ Feb 20 2009, 10:59 PM) View Post

Whats even worse is... IS it really that easy to get our Ip's through live??

If so thats BS.
I mean, a normal person cant do jack with an IP address... but someone who knows there way around.

I mean, isnt that a bit of a privacy issue on MS's part?

sounds like a basis for a class action suit  lol

as far as privacy goes, ms can't be held responsible. look, there aren't many people that have a ddos net setup. one user dos'ing another user, for example, say you get my ip and dos me, that isn't going to do anything to me. your connection isn't superior enough to mine. you could successful dos a dialup user ;p so, the people that have the skillset to attack someone with a botnet are 1) in the minority and 2) unlikely to cause enough terror on xbox live for there to be a widespread problem. also, most people with botnets have better things to do than ddos someone they just played on live.

basically, the article is all hype. while it can and probably has happened, it is gaining popularity based on fear in the community that they will be the next target. and it also gives the complainers something to point to wink.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3