xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360: Which Console Downloads Games Fastest?  (Read 460 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360: Which Console Downloads Games Fastest?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

I remember it taking 3 hours to download "Pain" over cat5 which was "included" with my console.

after about 20 minutes my friend commented that the download screen was probably the actual game.  laugh.gif

I've yet to see anything on my PS3 download quick...

the 360 is hit or miss but more often then not I'm ok with it's speeds, and the fact that it can download while "off" and while I'm playing something else is quite benificial also.

the PS3 only downloads while I'm doing something else... SOMETIMES.

the Wii is horrid all the time, every time. the dashboard is about 3 revisions behind because it's just too damn painful to update it.

utopaline2

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

what a waste of time space, and well, just about everything. Who cares about times for downloads, I play games or movies while I download on the 360, and the Wii you have to sit there and look at Mario run around for a few minutes.

Uto

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »

I have to agree, this is a dumb comparison. To many things come into play that arent discussed.

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

Exactly, at least you can actually use the 360 while its downloading. It doesn't turn into a pretty brick. I mean come on, could they not do something better than a basic looking dos screen and let that sit there for ever and do nothing else while downloading? I mean come on, what OS are they using on that pretty black shiny box? Dos? Multi tasking is how old? 15 - 20 years maybe? I dont have a problem with the Wii. I dont expect much from a box that was only $250 and a company that said its all about fun and not about power or gfx. But Sony boasts about how powerful it is, but yet it cant even multi task.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »

It doesn't even matter how many things come into play to affect the dl speeds.  It doesn't matter what downloads what faster.  Even if the ps3 does download most things faster, it would only be by a small margin at most and is completely pointless to argue about.

Meethatguy

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »

Wow..
going over this thread it seems that either all of you have straight up garbage connections  or you just have your routers all screwed up.
20 min for 1 Gb???
I can get a demo finished by the time I walk to the kitchen, toss something in the microwave and come back.
250Mb Tv shows are done in less then 5 min.

So I think you may want to look over your connections before blaming the consoles.

I have a normal 6mb/ 2Mb cable connection on a normal netgear router.

I have 2 360's, a pc, a laptop and 2 Xbox 1'2 all connected to thre same connection. I may get Ip conflicts every once ina  while but nothing as poopie as what you guys say

insanetk

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

By my math, downloading for 20 minutes on a perfectly stable 6 megabit connection would yield approximately .876 gigabytes, downloading for 5 minutes would yield 225 megabytes. I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make, Meethatguy....

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Meethatguy @ Feb 4 2009, 06:09 AM) View Post

Wow..
going over this thread it seems that either all of you have straight up garbage connections  or you just have your routers all screwed up.
20 min for 1 Gb???
I can get a demo finished by the time I walk to the kitchen, toss something in the microwave and come back.

So I think you may want to look over your connections before blaming the consoles.

I have 2 360's, a pc, a laptop and 2 Xbox 1'2 all connected to thre same connection. I may get Ip conflicts every once ina  while but nothing as poopie as what you guys say

So you have a faster connection then some, that's not really the point of the discussion.

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »

I dont think it has anything to do with connection either. I have my PS3,360 and wii all on wireless. I have the Fios 15 meg line. My 360 downloads in great speed. I dont get anything from Wii store. But my PS3 takes forever. I never understand it. Its so bad that when I have to do an update I start it and then I am forced to switch to another input because it takes for ever. Its rather painstaking.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Meethatguy @ Feb 4 2009, 06:09 AM) View Post

Wow..
20 min for 1 Gb???

You'll probably find those complaining about console download speeds have good results from their PCs, so it's not just a case of looking at the hardware being used. To state others have screwed up routers and then go on to state you get IP conflicts is just funny.

Back OT, if you're going to compare wi-fi download speeds on the 3 consoles you need to find comparitives. Unfortunately each of them connect to their own network (as someone has already stated) so it's a no go from the start.

Aside from the network you're connecting to, lets look at other factors:

1. The console itself. All three are more than capable of coping with network packets so this isn't the bottleneck.

2. The wi-fi protocols. Again, all three will probably be using 802.11g which is a certified standard. If you have a wireless a/b/g router then of course you'll want to run the 360 wi-fi using 802.11a.

3. Interference. As mentioned in #2, most devices will use 802.11g which for those of you who don't know, operates at a frequency of 2.4 Ghz (802.11a uses 5Ghz). Not only will you find most properties/apartments flooded with other wi-fi connections, most people have household devices which also operate at this frequency (try playing a wi-fi game on a PSP whilst standing next to a working microwave oven). Interference = packet loss = resent packets = slower completion. At no time is it possible to conclude what could be causing interference - the best option you have is if your router tells you how many packets are failing on the WLAN front. It's also worth remembering that if you have a single wi-fi router, all wi-fi devices will share the 54/108Mbit bandwidth. A moot point if you only have 2 devices and an 8 Meg Internet connection, but noteworthy nontheless.

4. ISP. Unless you're super rich and can afford a zero contention internet connection, you'll be sharing the bandwidth offered by your ISP in your local area. There's no way of knowing who's using what at any time so running a test on one console and then again on another may produce different results because someone else on the same ISP in your street has decided to max out his bandwidth.

In conclusion, the MTV article is pointless and I could write something much more meaningful in my lunch break.

kalon

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »

I've generally had decent connection speed with my 360, but I would say 80% of the time the PS3 is slow as hell. It's slow on my 10Mb RR connection, and it was slow at my previous address on a 20/5 FiOS line. I can't really comment on the Wii because I rarely download anything on it or use it at all.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(iceman72 @ Feb 3 2009, 11:40 PM) *

Whats funny is this. What they fail to mention is that for starters. When the 360 is done downloading the updates it is complete. When the PS3 is done downloading it take another half hour to install it. It such a joke.  The PS3 takes so long to do these tasks that often times you loose interest in doing what you originally intended. Then to top it off many times after waiting for the download then the install, the game will start up and force you to make another update. The 360 never does this. 9 times out of 10 you download then you play.

Check your facts. Some of the updates do restart the 360 and install. All download  and verify before installing. The fact you only see one progress bar does not indicate that the update is installing on the fly. this would be a very dangerous thing to do as a dropped packet means a corrupt update.
There are plenty of games that need an update when you insert them in the 360 as well..
My PS3 has never....repeat never taken 30 minutes to install an update of any kind after downloading.  You  are exaggerating  certain aspects of the PS3 to make your case sound sensational. You often have done this when discussing the PS3 in the past as well.
Edit: forgot to add. Different ISps make a big difference to download speeds as I have recently found when swapping

This post has been edited by Chancer: Feb 4 2009, 08:02 PM

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

This is point blank the most stupid test I can recall ever seeing.   Too many things wrong to even begin saying how ridiculous this whole thing is.

MrFish

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 4 2009, 02:58 PM) View Post

Check your facts. Some of the updates do restart the 360 and install. All download and verify before installing. The fact you only see one progress bar does not indicate that the update is installing on the fly. this would be a very dangerous thing to do as a dropped packet means a corrupt update.

I'm speculatin' here by extrapolating from the black one to the white one, but the way it used to work was that the update was downloaded in place, and then every time the title was started up, it would verify the update before running it. All title updates restart the game (at which point it verifies and executes).

Dashboard updates restart the console (and therefore the dashboard), at which point it will verify the update and flash it (see the NXE on a memory stick hack).

Doing the verify at download time is pretty pointless, because it doesn't protect you from the user modifying the content once it's installed (See the Wii's homebrew channels).

In any case, all this stuff misses the point: all three consoles are complete dogs when it comes to downloading stuff. What they should be comparing them with is a PC downloading from akamai or similar. The 360 downloads multi-gigabye games over UDP, for fuck's sake. UDP! Quakeworld demonstrated that that was a slow, inefficient way to roll-out files. The content's all signed anyway; what's wrong with HTTP?

Arguments that PS3, 360 and Wii connect to different servers are dumb: LIVE+360, PSN+PS3 and WFC+Wii are all platforms; obviously we're interested in how the platform as a whole performs. The abilities of the end-user hardware in isolation is not really very interesting.

QUOTE(MrFish @ Feb 4 2009, 08:04 PM) View Post

the way it used to work was that the update was downloaded in place, and then every time the title was started up, it would verify the update before running it.

To elaborate, the title update is not 'installed' at all, but remains on the hard disk unmodified, and (if it passes the sig check) is used to patch the game at runtime. A bit of API wizardry allows the executable in the update to run as if it were running off the DVD, even though it's still on the hard drive, and yet still see any updated data files contained in the updates. Further API magic allows the executable on the DVD to verify and then hand-off to the executable on the disk without any kind of special provision in the source code.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 4 2009, 12:25 AM) View Post

I remember it taking 3 hours to download "Pain" over cat5 which was "included" with my console.

I have Pain it took around 12 minutes to download. I don't know if the store in the US is different somehow, because Elemino too has had problems with speeds.

I've yet to see anything on my PS3 download quick...

I have had the opposite . I have had no problems with long downloads at all (not on the 360 either. I downloaded  the 980MB  RES Evil 5 demo in no time yesterday (trust me my ISP is rubbish as well)

the 360 is hit or miss but more often then not I'm ok with it's speeds, and the fact that it can download while "off" and while I'm playing something else is quite benificial also.

the PS3 only downloads while I'm doing something else... SOMETIMES.

If you have the latest updates then that should be no problem either. I usually background download everything. You can't sign out of your profile whilst doing it.

Do you have a slow connection or perhaps a faulty PS3?
Are these problems confined to non UK users? because I honestly can't believe what I am reading about all this stuff. Weird stuff

Dashboard updates restart the console (and therefore the dashboard), at which point it will verify the update and flash it (see the NXE on a memory stick hack).

Not according to ICE. perhaps he has a different 360 from the 2 I have.

This particular test is of course nonsense in itself. I would however like to find out why some people who have mega quick connections seem to say it takes hours to download stuff. my experience on all 3 consoles to be fair is the opposite. (Not as quick as my PC but quick and easy)
Pages: 1 [2] 3