xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Microsoft Corrupting International Resident Evil 5 Demo Downloads?  (Read 587 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Microsoft Corrupting International Resident Evil 5 Demo Downloads?
Posted by XanTium | December 14 00:14 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From worthplaying.com:

When the Resident Evil 5 demo hit in Japan on December 5th last week, enterprising gamers quickly realized that the demo could be downloaded in US and Europe simply by signing on to Xbox Live with a Japanese gamertag. The demo not only ran perfectly on US and European systems, it was also fully localized meaning that US players saw English text, heard English voices and saw the Resident Evil 5 logo rather than the Biohazard 5 logo. Resident Evil is known as Biohazard in Japan.

About a day after the demo's release, Xbox Live started doing an IP check before the download could be initiated, preventing anyone outside Japan from downloading a new copy of the demo, even if they used a Japanese gamertag. The demo could still be played however, with all features available, including online co-op play. Because of its small size (less than 480MB) the demo was also easy to copy from system to system.

Then, sometime in the last 24 hours, players with the demo noticed two things. The first was annoying, but understandable. Non-Japanese Gamertags were immediately logged out of Xbox Live when booting up the demo. This prevented anyone outside Japan from playing online. The second issue however has started to raise concern.

After logging in to Xbox Live with a non-Japanese Gamertag and attempting to start the Resident Evil 5 demo, Xbox Live actively corrupts the demo code rendering it completely unplayable - even in offline mode.

Full Story: worthplaying.com

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »

are people in the US who are playing this demo getting banned as well?

quarky43

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(hyfall381 @ Dec 14 2008, 12:47 AM) View Post

are people in the US who are playing this demo getting banned as well?

Serious question:  (not sarcastic)  Did it sound like players were getting banned?    It sounded like players Demos were getting corrupted, but I didn't understand the article to mean that they were being banned.   Perhaps I missed something my first time through it though??

Guess I don't have to worry about dropped off Live....  my console just died this evening.  A week before Christmas...  ruins the Christmas gift I was getting my wife too.  She really wanted "Lips" for the 360.  I ordered it for her and it comes in on Monday.     This is the 5th time since launch day that I've had to send a 360 in for repair.  The sad thing is that I was just watching Netflix this evening when the console croaked.... but I digress.....

SasquatchRVC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

Does anyone know if this corruption issue is still present if playing the demo via CD?

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

Just play it without signing in to any profile or live and you will be fine.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »

What a bunch of a-holes...

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

Geesh...  sounds like a bunch of immature crap to me.

beerchug.gif

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

sounds like M$ to me. xD

disrockerdude

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »

bad move microsoft. i have both a japanese and a us xbox, both virgins might i add. i have a japanese gamertag and a us one. i have the resident evil demo on my japanese box, and now i can confirm that microsoft did corrupt my demo. mad.gif

the demo is awesome... me want to play!!! WTF microsoft.. W-T-F...

eenu

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

I have no problem with them enforcing the Japanese only demo, but my question is why is it Japanese only in the first place?

disrockerdude

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »

well not sure really. i mean its fully localized for american use (they changed biohazard to resident evil) i dont see anything wrong. dont know why my copy was corrupted, i own a japanese 360 with a legit japanese gamertag. i blame watcha ma callz it.. riaa? lol

1ic1

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »

people have it on a disc *laughs at MS*

disrockerdude

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »

people have it on a disc *laughs at MS*

mann i wish i had it on a disc. but i dont want to flash my drives. xbox live is a big deal to me. i dont wanna risk getting banned

I'dkickurass@cod2

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(disrockerdude @ Dec 14 2008, 05:30 AM) *

mann i wish i had it on a disc. but i dont want to flash my drives. xbox live is a big deal to me. i dont wanna risk getting banned

FYI, u don't need a flashed xbox. Just put the folder 0000000000000000 (16 zeros I may add). And the folder that contains the demo (whatever it may be, I don't have it because I could care less about the demo), burn disc, and ur set. works for all demos xbla games, and videos.

This post has been edited by I'dkickurass@cod2: Dec 14 2008, 10:38 AM

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(disrockerdude @ Dec 14 2008, 12:36 AM) View Post

.....dont know why my copy was corrupted, i own a japanese 360 with a legit japanese gamertag. i blame watcha ma callz it.. riaa? lol

Well just like the article said... you are not IN JAPAN so your ip address showed them  you were in the US.  It obviously was not only  specific to region of consoles... obviously M$ only wants people IN JAPAN to be able to play it, not just have a japanese console and a jap gamertag.

Still dumb what they have done... I mean who cares it is a demo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4