xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Microsoft Confirms New Xbox 360 Console Banning  (Read 2156 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Confirms New Xbox 360 Console Banning
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 11 23:34 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

I've gotten a few messages and seen some forum threads pop up on console bannings so I thought I'd post and let folks know what's up. In our our continued effort to keep gameplay safe and secure for our community of more than 14 million members, Microsoft has taken action against a small percentage of Xbox 360 consoles that have been illegally modified in order to play pirated games. You should know that modifying your Xbox 360 console is also a violation of the Xbox LIVE terms of use, will void your warranty and result in a ban from Xbox LIVE.   The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive, both from manufacturers and the local companies that support them. We will continue to employ and bolster anti-piracy security measures to counter piracy in the gaming industry and improve security in the Xbox LIVE community.

Report your Xbox LIVE status: forums.xbox-scene.com

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

Makes sense, when they're getting momentum, start banning..

TerminatR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »

I'm curious about this statement - it's ambiguous.

"Microsoft has taken action against a small percentage of Xbox 360 consoles that have been illegally modified in order to play pirated games."

This poorly worded sentence has two possible meanings:

The meaning I think they are trying to convey is that they are banning a small percentage (ie ALL modded consoles) of the entire Xbox 360 fleet.

The other possible meaning is that microsoft is choosing to only ban a small percentage of the total number of modded 360's, which would imply they are leaving some modded consoles alone.

Maybe I think about these things too much... jester.gif  jester.gif  jester.gif

BigSteel

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

Definatley way over thinking that one biggrin.gif  They must mean that they are banning modded consoles which represent a small portion of all xbox 360's (modded and unmodded).

ExitiumEx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

All banning does it give some unlucky kid a dud 360 for Christmas ... way to go M$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

saosin37

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

Microsoft is definitely saying they are banning all systems that are modded to play pirated games.  I sent out my console last Friday to my buddy in another state to repair the RROD so I don't know yet if my system was banned.  I've already purchased a new 360 arcade.  All my live games i'll buy and play on the arcade and the single player backups ill play on my maybe banned elite.

We can't be pissed at microsoft for banning people.  When you mod your 360 you should expect your console to be banned at some point.

1ic1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

i know this is a dumb question.

can you get banned for doing the x-clamp fix?

seems everyone is getting banned for no apparent reason

Same thing has happened to me tonight. I went to sign onto live and it says I'm banned I call up support and after having them be extremely rude to me I was told that my system has been modded and my console has been banned because of it. I told them that I did not mod my console, I don't even know how, but my system is completly legit the only time it would have been "opened" as they put it was when I sent in because of the RRoD. He kept saying it was my fault and that I opened my console and modded it and they don't tolerate it. No matter how much I explained to him that I did not he kept repeating the same thing and would not help any further.

I called back and got a MUCH nicer person who told me for the past 5-6 hours they've bee getting the same calls and are looking into the problems and to keep checking the website for updates but of course I see nothing online. Hopefully this all gets resolved soon.

This post has been edited by 1ic1: Nov 12 2008, 06:31 AM

utopaline

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

good for them!!! keep banning, if you wanna Mod go right ahead (I have 2 moded original xbox's) but stay clear of live. I (like most people) pay for my games and enjoy doing so to support the people that make the games. I also know the headache that Moding on Live caused with the original Xbox, and maybe they are jsut stopping it before it comes to that again.

Utopaline

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(TerminatR @ Nov 11 2008, 11:14 PM) View Post

I'm curious about this statement - it's ambiguous.

"Microsoft has taken action against a small percentage of Xbox 360 consoles that have been illegally modified in order to play pirated games."

This poorly worded sentence has two possible meanings:

The meaning I think they are trying to convey is that they are banning a small percentage (ie ALL modded consoles) of the entire Xbox 360 fleet.

The other possible meaning is that microsoft is choosing to only ban a small percentage of the total number of modded 360's, which would imply they are leaving some modded consoles alone.

Maybe I think about these things too much... jester.gif  jester.gif  jester.gif

Umm yeah you are thinking too much.. looking waaay deeper than you need.  This response always comes from M$ after or durring a ban.

QUOTE(1ic1 @ Nov 12 2008, 12:12 AM) View Post

i know this is a dumb question.

can you get banned for doing the x-clamp fix?

seems everyone is getting banned for no apparent reason

You are kidding right?  That is impossible.

But if you read a bit more... like on this website and others you will find what the likely reason is.
(it is kinda pointing to a specific game that was played/released....just what it seems like as of now...little early to tell until alot more info is given from people being banned.)

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

"small percentage"

even if it were as small as three percent - thats half a million bans...

I wonder what the real number is - and for people with originals who backup and just made a mistake that sucks, but for pirates getting early releases, well, Nelson says it best: haha.

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

this sucks balls but i guess everyone already knew the risk. Im still safe but who knows for how long. Just be sure that you wont see me on LIVE anytime before that NXE update. Hopefully they will be so busy with the NXE update that they will forget all about bans until next year.

This post has been edited by tomgreen99200: Nov 12 2008, 09:04 AM

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 02:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(ExitiumEx @ Nov 12 2008, 06:23 AM) View Post

All banning does it give some unlucky kid a dud 360 for Christmas ... way to go M$ biggrin.gif

Yeah...sure....that's all it does.  You've obviously got the whole thing figured out.  You're a winner and a genius.   Way to go.  jester.gif

Guidor

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »

Good for MS.  Mod your drive and face the consequences.  We all know those who mod the drive are doing so in 99.9% of cases to play pirated games.  If you cant afford the games don't buy the console.

Maverick-DBZ-

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »

At least now more people are understanding, that regardless if your modding your console for illegal or legit reasons, you take a risk of having a banned console.

Guidor

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

It was a perfectly intelligent post.  So because you don't agree with game prices that makes it Ok for you to steal?  A games console is a luxary item and not a right in life so if you cant afford it don't get one.  Maybe try getting a better paid job.  Don't make an excuse for you to steal somebodies hard work.

This post has been edited by Guidor: Nov 12 2008, 10:10 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14