xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dolby Digital And Dts 5.1 Tracks  (Read 28 times)

ydgmms

• Archived User
Dolby Digital And Dts 5.1 Tracks
« on: December 19, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »

I've been ripping my concert DVDs and making XviDs w/ AC3/DTS audio to put on my HD so I don't have to bust out the DVDs and what not.

I got the idea to rip the DD5.1 or DTS5.1 audio tracks from my DVD-Audio discs and they work fine in XBMC as .AC3 and .DTS, but the visualisations don't really seem to work right. Maybe I'm missing something? Or has that not really been thought of to make them work properly? Or....maybe its just the song? Is there a certain threshold it needs? Like its working right now, but the previous song was mostly just black.

Anyway.... ?
I'm playing the AC3 and DTS tracks through the My Music section. Using digital output to my receiver where it picks up proper surround sound and plays it properly. Just the visualisations seem off....

Anyone else try?

Ok. I just played around with the different vis's only the first 3 work.
All the rest just show black screen. So, I'm guessing what I saw was probably a 'default' screensaver type of motion? Is there anyway to get the vis's to work w/ AC3 and DTS audio tracks? I gather it just wasn't thought of during coding since AC3 and DTS are usually linked w/ video.

Oh....I ask mainly because I have a rear projection HDTV, and don't want burn in plus it looks nice in 720p...i wonder...1080i....

This post has been edited by ydgmms: Dec 20 2004, 02:26 AM <

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »

The issue is you are passing the data through undecoded.

Thus, the visz is not seeing the real music, it is seeing the compressed datastream, which doesn't look like real music at all.

Thus, the visz's don't work nicely (if at all).

As it's not a high priority, it's not likely to get done for quite some time, if at all - us developers are stretched as it is.  <

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »

Yeah. I kinda figured.

*sigh* Oh well..  <