xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Europe makes up 1/4th of Xbox Live  (Read 126 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Europe makes up 1/4th of Xbox Live
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | July 31 12:20 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From computerandvideogames.com:

Europe makes up "less than a quarter" of Xbox Live's total membership, mostly down to language differences, Euro Xbox VP Chris Lewis has revealed.

"And I'll tell you also that a large part of that is in the UK," he continued, "partly because of the language aspect, the fact is you need, on a community service like Live, enough people of a similar language orientation to get a community so that it starts to really blow out.

Full Story: computerandvideogames.com

SkogsTrollet

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »

I think it's because of the option of renting movies/series on xboxlive that the uk makes up for the largest part. I mean, Im swedish, and my Xboxlive Gold is just a glorified Silver membership. The only real difference between Gold and Silver here is the option to play online, Still, The monthly fee is still pretty much the same as for the UK. The only real reason to sticking with the gold is, for me, the multiplayer.

(sorry for any spelling- and gramatic errors. I am after all swedish:) smile.gif

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

it's because the service is useless if you don't live in USA or UK. (i'm from spain)

AcidPenguiN

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

I think the bigger issue is the unjustified near $100 USD cost per year price hike compared to North American live prices.

lecsiy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

@AcidPenguin,

Exactly, i do enjoy xbox live but being from the Uk buying a years worth costs 1/3 of the console itself! It's just not worth it. It's time for M$ to lower they're prices in the Europe.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Jul 31 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post

it's because the service is useless if you don't live in USA or UK. (i'm from spain)

you are exactly correct - the benefits do not justify the cost outside of the US or UK.  

actually, 1/4 is larger than I would expect...

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »

They should make it possible to choose to only play against people from the same country as yourself. One thing I can't stand while playing a game like Gears of War is getting my ass handed to me because everyone else I'm playing is on the other side of the world and laggy. That might also help with the language barrier for some. I also think Microsoft probably doesn't try hard enough to promote Live in the rest of Europe. And yeah the price for Live outside of the US is a joke. Even here in the UK where we at least now get video marketplace we still miss out on a lot of the freebies and stuff the US members get + we wont get any Netflix type service when that gets released.

Personally I just take advantage of the fact MS doesn't region lock the 12+1 month Live subscription codes. I paid £23 for this years subscription and about the same for last years so that even things out a bit  biggrin.gif . Microsoft also don't mind you making a Live account for a region outside of where you normally reside so that can get you access to the other marketplaces and the freebies.