xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some Free Online Play on LIVE Silver Accounts Confirmed till Fall  (Read 474 times)

wassco

• Archived User
Some Free Online Play on LIVE Silver Accounts Confirmed till Fall
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(PirateElf @ Jul 29 2008, 02:33 AM) View Post

rolleyes.gif

Pretty much... Welcome to what the "scene" has become... Whining about xbox live is silly. A whole fifty dollars a year? Jesus! NO! That's my piggy bank money. No seriously I probably have that in pennies in a kentwood container or some shit. *sigh*

Its a forum, to express opinions and things of that nature, if anything bitch about us posting in the wrong topic forum...your just bitching about the bitchers, dont be a hypocrit!

Were comparing playing ONLINE GAMES FOR FREE, for instance...

360 owner has to pay to play gta4 online...$60 + ??? spent on live
ps3 Owners play for free....e$60 thats it!

see our point?

so in retrospect...

360 = 299+ 50 a year for live....  = 450+ over 3 years...  (just doing math)
ps3 = 399 - free online...

hmmm ps3 just became cheaper if you think about it...PLUS...blue-ray drive....continue with the pointless debate....

cory1492

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(PirateElf @ Jul 29 2008, 12:33 AM) View Post

rolleyes.gif

Pretty much... Welcome to what the "scene" has become... Whining about xbox live is silly. A whole fifty dollars a year? Jesus! NO! That's my piggy bank money. No seriously I probably have that in pennies in a kentwood container or some shit. *sigh*

People like yourself justifying the charges blindly pretty much gives them more reason to find out ways to charge fore every little nook and cranny of their service - and I for one would REALLY like to see and ACTUAL rundown of what those subscription fees go towards - the stuff the in dash advertising and nickel and diming for things like frigging wallpapers doesn't already cover.

Seriously, charging for clothing items for a frigging avatar? Next they will be charging for bug fixes for games that (purposely) won't run properly ootb, considering they already charge in some cases for content that is already on the bloody disk we paid for. Not to mention, they are also gearing up to sell unlicensed coders work - what has traditionally been free.

And yes, I love the 360 gadget and many of it's games, but I hate the way their idea of a market is going - I'll not be using live so long as this nickel and diming for thing that are normally free continues. Not everything needs to have a price tag, but if it does there should be at least decent justification that doesn't spell GREED.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »

Too many people here believe that just because this an Xbox related site, only positive posts are allowable.
People are entitled to dislike actions or policy that MS bring out.
The people telling others not to post here because they said something negative about the 360 should not be telling these people off.
Offer a counter argument by all means but don't use "you have to say nice things about the 36o because this is an Xbox forum" as your argument.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(lcprove @ Jul 29 2008, 01:52 AM) View Post

i play my online MMO

i just don't understand why i have to pay to play the games i've already paid $60+ online

something tells me you are paying more to play your MMO online, which you probably paid between $40 and $60 for.

plus many games coming out today come with new maps, scenarios, blah blah and that costs too.

those new maps/scenarios are optional though. you would pay for them on any system, your precious ps3 included.

in addition, not ALL content is pay. there are plenty of downloadable maps for gears of war and halo 3. there is also the occasional expansion pack that comes with OXM (rock band tracks, graw expansion pack that would have been 1600 points)

i do think that old antiquated content should be reduced in price or made free though. (why exactly are they still charging for kameo and marvel:ua DLC from 2006 again?)

on topic, don't "promotions" usually get... promoted? this seems to have been discovered by mistake, there was no marketing on said promotion like they do with free live weekend

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

If this was a promotion, then why did we have to wait for someone to figure it out before they *promoted* it? happy.gif

oops... looks like someone thought the same way already

Bad_Ad

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 29 2008, 02:07 PM) View Post

Too many people here believe that just because this an Xbox related site, only positive posts are allowable.
People are entitled to dislike actions or policy that MS bring out.
The people telling others not to post here because they said something negative about the 360 should not be telling these people off.
Offer a counter argument by all means but don't use "you have to say nice things about the 36o because this is an Xbox forum" as your argument.

Actually my point was split into 2 parts:

The posting style and attitude of posters here, go read psp-hacks comment section and you will get an idea of what this site has been heading towards for several years.

And secondly that people can actually moan and make apple to apple comparisons of the Microsoft and Sony services.

Like the "Xbox = $50!, PS3 + bluray = FREE!" argument above.

This isnt a like for like comparison, the services offered are of a completely different quality and league.
You are factoring in the bluray drive, however you are making the assumption that Xbox online play = Sony online play, this is incorrect and should be reflected in your "math".

How about this for some maths: £30 / 365 = 0.082p
Thats 8p per day, I give away more than that to charity boxes in 1 and 2p's from my change per day.

Oh and I see that Chancer made mod finally.

greenday54261

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bad_Ad @ Jul 29 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post

Chancer made mod a loooooooong time ago.

On topic: I do think it'd be nice to see where all this money is going. I pay it because Live is currently second to none among console online services, but I think they're overdoing it with the in-dash ads and charging for things like dashboard themes.
But that's just my two cents.

Bad_Ad

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(greenday54261 @ Jul 29 2008, 07:48 PM) View Post

Chancer made mod a loooooooong time ago.

lol,

Well ive been here awhile, but dont really read these forums anymore for my reasons pointed out in already in this thread.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bad_Ad @ Jul 29 2008, 07:30 PM) View Post

Actually my point was split into 2 parts:

The posting style and attitude of posters here, go read psp-hacks comment section and you will get an idea of what this site has been heading towards for several years.

And secondly that people can actually moan and make apple to apple comparisons of the Microsoft and Sony services.

Like the "Xbox = $50!, PS3 + bluray = FREE!" argument above.

This isnt a like for like comparison, the services offered are of a completely different quality and league.
You are factoring in the bluray drive, however you are making the assumption that Xbox online play = Sony online play, this is incorrect and should be reflected in your "math".

How about this for some maths: £30 / 365 = 0.082p
Thats 8p per day, I give away more than that to charity boxes in 1 and 2p's from my change per day.

I didn't notice anybody making a comparison between XBL and Blu-ray.... that's like comparing apples to sex; they really have nothing in common, other than they're both very likeable tongue.gif

Anywayz, the service comparisons are simple. Here's what they have in common:
  • Online multiplayer
  • Buy content from the store
  • Video/Voice Chat
  • Friends list

Here's where they differ:
  • Xbox Live is $50/year; PSN is free
  • XBL allows in-game voice chat; PSN does not
  • XBL uses your bandwidth for multiplayer gaming; PSN uses dedicated servers (both apply to the majority, but not all titles)
  • XBL makes it hard for you to use content you purchased on another 360 YOU own; PSN lets you share purchased content with up to 5 friends (not Warhawk & GT5p, though)

QUOTE(schweitzer @ Jul 29 2008, 07:48 AM) View Post

Buy the Live online and you can get it for $40.  If you can't afford $40 a year, maybe you shouldn't own a 360.

What's this, a call-out for a game of "Big bank take little bank"?

I feel like it's overpriced by it's MSRP (in other words, it should be free); guess I shouldn't own 4 Xbox 360's. I don't know how many games you own, but I'd really be surprised if you have more than me. Let's not forget to mention that my videogame collection spans from the NES all the way to the PS3, and I never get rid of games (TIVs are jokes). On top of all that, I like to smoke, drink, and do things, which also cost money.

I've pissed hundreds of dollars in a single night away, partying. $50 for a year is NOTHING, but I still have every right to bitch about it, as it shouldn't cost that.

After all, you don't see me spending my money on other things that are normally free.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the price is too expensive. I used to spend more on Cigs in a week.
I simply will not bother renewing because it doesn't offer me the features I personally use.
I am not interested in voice chat or in game messaging. I am not really bothered about downloading films.
I use live as I would use a basic service. Simply for just joining a game or playing someone at random.
The PSN works equally as well in that respect and I find myself using it more than live. So why pay.
I think we will see more people using the PSN if they have a PS3 as well as 360. If it stays free. The fact is if you simply want to join a game and play there are no problems. the people that actually use the service day in ,day out rarely complain. the ones who shout how bad it is, in the main, have never used the service recently.
DEpends what you want and the depth you use the features
One thing I do think stinks about live is the fact you have to ring up to cancel or they just keep taking your cash year after year. They should make a facility to cancel via live or the internet.

AcidPenguiN

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bad_Ad @ Jul 29 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post

Agreed, I called to cancel and after several minutes of repeating i just want to fucking cancel i got the line "so you are just going to leave all your friends?".

My reply was something along the lines of "no im sure ill see all my friends within the next few hours".

lol the joke's on them, to this day I haven't added a "friend" over xbl.

my gold runs out next month, I'm not paying for it again simply because I seem to only enjoy games that either a ) come out on the PC, or b ) are single player or don't require gold to use.

also, I'd reconsider purchasing gold if they'd ban all the cunts, racists, cheaters/exploiters, and children. AKA, 99% of their userbase.

Bad_Ad

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

to be honest, I dont really play my xbox anymore, the novelity wore off I still use my xbox 1's more than my 360.

However, when ever i want to play a game multiplayer with some friends over XBL, I just create a new profile and get the free month and delete it when im done.

As you can see above, I dont benefit from Live, but its definately worth the money if you use it more than like twice a year.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bad_Ad @ Jul 29 2008, 04:36 PM) View Post

However, when ever i want to play a game multiplayer with some friends over XBL, I just create a new profile and get the free month and delete it when im done.

you know you only get 6 free trials per system, or something like that, right?

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 29 2008, 03:33 PM) View Post

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the price is too expensive. I used to spend more on Cigs in a week.
I simply will not bother renewing because it doesn't offer me the features I personally use.
I am not interested in voice chat or in game messaging. I am not really bothered about downloading films.
I use live as I would use a basic service. Simply for just joining a game or playing someone at random.
The PSN works equally as well in that respect and I find myself using it more than live. So why pay.
I think we will see more people using the PSN if they have a PS3 as well as 360. If it stays free. The fact is if you simply want to join a game and play there are no problems. the people that actually use the service day in ,day out rarely complain. the ones who shout how bad it is, in the main, have never used the service recently.
DEpends what you want and the depth you use the features
One thing I do think stinks about live is the fact you have to ring up to cancel or they just keep taking your cash year after year. They should make a facility to cancel via live or the internet.

Perfectly put, thats pretty much it!

i only use live to play games with ppl online..... and i think some ps3 games are better online then 360 games...graphically, and network wise!

Bad_Ad

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:21 PM) View Post

you know you only get 6 free trials per system, or something like that, right?

I have 3 360's, using maybe a profile every 6 months i think ive got it covered for the forseeable future, ive not hit the limit on any of them that i know of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3