xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xbox LIVE Scheduled Maintenance Completed - Matchmaking Issues  (Read 269 times)

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Xbox LIVE Scheduled Maintenance Completed - Matchmaking Issues
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(vengeancegoon @ Apr 22 2008, 01:48 AM) *

This forum should be called xbox-whine because really, that's what most of you seem to do in here. "Wahhhh Live isn't properly working for me right now!", go cry me a river.

The fact is Live is a far better service than on any of the next gen consoles. Don't even go "but multiplayer is free on PC", because I don't have to worry about viruses, real hacking, messing around with config files and a whole slew of other crap that I had to do just to get me my Quake on. I'm not a newb to gaming, console or PC but I've definitely given up on PC Gaming in favor of console and IMHO Live & 360 is the way to go. Sure I'd love to have keyboard and mouse, I'm sure it would improve my crappy Halo stats but I'm done with spending hours getting all kinds of drivers and crap just to get a game working.

I do agree that I'd love to see some dedicated servers provided by Microsoft though. But even with the problems Live has had, it still is hands down better than the competition, paid or unpaid.

If you think these forums are filled with "whiners", then I'd hate to see what you think of the xbox.com forums, where's it's 100x greater (EVERY live user knows xbox.com).

The fact of the matter is that I'm not displeased about the initial downtime (which they not only warned us of in the TOS/EULA, but also sent me a notice in advance). I'm displeased that once the downtime is over, there's intermittent problems (and this is EVERY time). Furthermore, paying for a gold membership only "unlocks" multiplayer features, and gives you access to DLC one week before silver users, which does not constitute a just fee, IMO. Yes, I still pay it, but because I pay it, I have the right to bitch about it. People can say "It's better than X" all they want, but if it's still not doing what I want it to, then it's NOT better than X (or at least not better by enough of a margin).

Of course, "the vast majority of Xbox 360 owners are having an outstanding experience with their consoles".

Alternatively, I've never found viruses to be that hard to avoid on a PC. I haven't had my computer hacked since the 90's (not that I'm saying it doesn't happen). Maybe I'm luckier than most, but I didn't think it was as big a concern. There's one thing that keeps me from being a PC gamer(again, that is), and that's having to buy new video cards all the time (especially considering most of the games are available on consoles).

This post has been edited by HotKnife420: Apr 22 2008, 05:10 AM

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »

Ive had a problem getting connected twice out of maybe a hundred gaming sessions.  Live rox.

The box sux but live is great.

vengeancegoon

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Apr 22 2008, 05:04 AM) *

If you think these forums are filled with "whiners", then I'd hate to see what you think of the xbox.com forums, where's it's 100x greater (EVERY live user knows xbox.com).

The fact of the matter is that I'm not displeased about the initial downtime (which they not only warned us of in the TOS/EULA, but also sent me a notice in advance). I'm displeased that once the downtime is over, there's intermittent problems (and this is EVERY time). Furthermore, paying for a gold membership only "unlocks" multiplayer features, and gives you access to DLC one week before silver users, which does not constitute a just fee, IMO. Yes, I still pay it, but because I pay it, I have the right to bitch about it. People can say "It's better than X" all they want, but if it's still not doing what I want it to, then it's NOT better than X (or at least not better by enough of a margin).

Of course, "the vast majority of Xbox 360 owners are having an outstanding experience with their consoles".

Alternatively, I've never found viruses to be that hard to avoid on a PC. I haven't had my computer hacked since the 90's (not that I'm saying it doesn't happen). Maybe I'm luckier than most, but I didn't think it was as big a concern. There's one thing that keeps me from being a PC gamer(again, that is), and that's having to buy new video cards all the time (especially considering most of the games are available on consoles).

See apart from Xmas I have never had a single problem with Live. I just used that opportunity to play Single Player games so I didn't really miss it. Xbox Live does more than the competition so how can you say it isn't better than "X"? Unless your statement about it not doing what you want it to do means you want it to massage your butt cheeks as you play Halo?

My most frustrating gaming experience in the last couple of years? Warhawk for the PS3. The one game that might have prevented my PS3 from becoming a $600 dust magnet which took me hours just to get into a game. This was from launch! I'm pretty sure that the problem was the developer's rather than Sony's but damn, most frustrating experience ever, I did stick it out for a while but haven't gone back to it, even since they fixed it. Sucks to buy a multiplayer only game that you can't actually play.

You say that you can't justify the fee yet you pay for it? That I don't understand. If you can't justify something then you shouldn't be paying for it, end of.

hardcandy

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »

Right after the update finished yesterday afternoon, I was having trouble staying logged in. I must have been booted out 15-17 times in 2 hours. But around 4:00 PM EDT, my connection became stable and no booting since.
I talked to folks all over last night, some people had problems staying connected and some said they logged in once and had no problems at all yesterday after the update finished. Various geographical areas and various games, no pattern that I could tell.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(vengeancegoon @ Apr 22 2008, 04:19 PM) View Post

See apart from Xmas I have never had a single problem with Live. I just used that opportunity to play Single Player games so I didn't really miss it. Xbox Live does more than the competition so how can you say it isn't better than "X"? Unless your statement about it not doing what you want it to do means you want it to massage your butt cheeks as you play Halo?

Considering it's p2p technology, I think as long as my connection is up I should be able to look for a game. What do their servers actually "do" in terms of getting connected? I'd also like to have a lot less ads, considering I paid for my membership. Sure, silver users get the same ads, but shouldn't gold take away the ads?

QUOTE(vengeancegoon @ Apr 22 2008, 04:19 PM) View Post

You say that you can't justify the fee yet you pay for it? That I don't understand. If you can't justify something then you shouldn't be paying for it, end of.

Because people say "you can't afford 26 cents a day" and me feel poor and/or cheap if I don't renew my XBL gold status. biggrin.gif
I pay it cause I like to play Gears of War and a few other games online. If you can think of a way for me to do that without paying, I'm all ears.

vengeancegoon

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Apr 22 2008, 07:20 PM) *

Considering it's p2p technology, I think as long as my connection is up I should be able to look for a game. What do their servers actually "do" in terms of getting connected? I'd also like to have a lot less ads, considering I paid for my membership. Sure, silver users get the same ads, but shouldn't gold take away the ads?
 Because people say "you can't afford 26 cents a day" and me feel poor and/or cheap if I don't renew my XBL gold status. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I pay it cause I like to play Gears of War and a few other games online. If you can think of a way for me to do that without paying, I'm all ears.

I totally agree with ads. I think Gold should be ad free, I hope they don't do a platinum with ad free though, because I would pay the extra even though I'd bitch about it.

The service isn't just peer to peer though, there is the matchmaking etc that is going on and I would think some kind of security. If it was just peer to peer I'm sure someone would have figured out how to sniff that traffic and inject whatever into it... Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone is already doing that..

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(vengeancegoon @ Apr 22 2008, 07:54 PM) View Post

I totally agree with ads. I think Gold should be ad free, I hope they don't do a platinum with ad free though, because I would pay the extra even though I'd bitch about it.

The service isn't just peer to peer though, there is the matchmaking etc that is going on and I would think some kind of security. If it was just peer to peer I'm sure someone would have figured out how to sniff that traffic and inject whatever into it... Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone is already doing that..

I haven't noticed any special 'matchmaking' myself. That's not to say it's not there, that's just to say I'm always looking for games to play and I pick them manually; I don't see how their matchmaking is supposed to work, unless I'm supposed to do 'quickmatch' (which I thought the game itself handled). If 'quickmatch' is supposed to be their superior 'matchmaking' service, it's horrible, as I get laggy games and players who quit sometimes. A 'quickmatch' should only look at strongest connections.
Pages: 1 [2]