xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tampering with Gamesaves and Achievements: Gamerscore Correction  (Read 579 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Tampering with Gamesaves and Achievements: Gamerscore Correction
Posted by XanTium | March 25 12:38 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamerscoreblog.com (FYI: MS owned blog):

Ouch. A small number of accounts are being reset for tampering with gamesaves and Achievements.  Larry Hryb explains in a blog post what his team is doing to the accounts of the most serious offenders:
    * Resetting the entire Gamerscore for an account to zero
    * The account will be unable to regain all previously obtained achievements and Gamerscore, however, the players will have the ability to gain future Achievements by earning them fairly, like the majority of the Xbox LIVE community does.  
    * The account will be clearly labeled as a cheater for the community to view on xbox.com, see here for a screenshot. In dash, the personal view of the gamercard will be labeled too.

We've been told that the accounts in this case are using a variety of means outside the actual playing of the game or by using external tools to increase their score, and gaining achievements under impossible conditions, which is in violation of the Terms of Use.

The vast majority of Xbox LIVE members play games legitimately to earn Achievements and are unaffected by this.  Anyone who plays inside the actual game to get Achievements does not fall into the category we are taking action on.

Xbox.com has a Q&A on the topic, answering some questions, including:

* Under what circumstances does LIVE correct a specific gamerscore?
* Specific and automated criteria are used to determine if a player has earned achievements by using tools that circumvent the game or avoid game play entirely.  A player who meets these criteria has their gamerscore corrected.

* How does LIVE know a player has been cheating on their gamerscore versus another player?
* We look for abnormal achievement and gamerscore activity using criteria that identifies users who have used external means to earn achievements without really playing the game.  Users who play games legitimately to earn an achievements are unaffected by this.

Full Story: gamerscoreblog.com

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

bout time! looks like a few have already fallen: sufoor, stripclubdj to name just a couple.

wheres the cheater turn in page? i wanna clean house....

TRb

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »

I remember DoA4 had a glitch where you could get an "A" ranking without playing, then enter games and lose to rank down for the other achievments "B-D"

I wonder if they will pick up on that and/or ban them.

slimdagreat

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »

Nice, its about time

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

lmao pathetic i mean do you honestly think anyone cares about gamerscore ,i just wanna play yet u spend ur hacking hrs just trying to boost ur achievements which effect nothing hahaha so funny it amazes me how many morons are on this planet  biggrin.gif  tongue.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(readmore @ Mar 25 2008, 07:25 PM) View Post

Are you calling anyone that likes gamerscore/achievements a moron??? They are a huge part of what's to love about the Xbox360!

/love that "achievement unlocked" sound

I think he means the people who spend all their time trying to hack their way to gamerscores they have not earned are morons.
He had better mean that anyway, as loads of people see it as a key part. It doesn't bother me but I know it is popular feature

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

Anybody know if this will help keep my Elite from locking up every 30 minutes?

slang123

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

The best part of this is the people who are getting there gamerscore reset are the people who care so much about gamerscore. HA!

dmanjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

Is avatar consider cheating  tongue.gif

VanydotK

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Landlocked @ Mar 25 2008, 09:09 PM) View Post

Anybody know if this will help keep my Elite from locking up every 30 minutes?

I like turtles.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

The whole point of achievements is to earn them.  How does cheating them make you feel acomplished?  Sometimes its fun to play a game to try and earn the points, why cheat.  Its a total giveaway too, you just look for how long it took the person to get those achievements.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(t0m @ Mar 25 2008, 04:54 PM) View Post

im curious how they detect cheating compared to broken games...when skate first came out i didnt have live, so i wasnt even bothering to have a network cable plugged into my box. when i beat the single player part of the game it unlocked 44 out of 45 achievements (including all the online ones). are they going to see that i 'beat' the online parts of the game offline and call me a cheater? i recall reading at 360a that this happened to quite a few people. hopefully its a well known issue with a specific game and me and anyone else who experienced it dont get shafted.

you don't have anything to worry about.

accounts like stripclubdj and sufoor used a hacking method that essentially unlocked the achievements without ever even booting the game disc... apparently MS can tell when this method of cheating was used and that's how they're detecting it.

it says right in the FAQ that if you unlocked the achievement while playing the game you have nothing to worry about.... this means that even gamesavers and profile glitchers are still in the clear, as well as people like yourself that just had to suffer poor programing on a glitchy game.

the only people this effects are AngerWound, Roofus and the other people from 360gamesaves that they helped hack achievements.

sunkist09

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

i heard bout this first on a website that i was a member of a long time ago called 360gamesaves. some of the legit people like cereal were reset too. on the site there were people that uploaded saves and there accounts were blacklisted. this meant that their account's saves were locked to their xbox and could not be used with any other, so if they had a save that they wanted to use then they couldnt use it cuz there accounts were locked. this all changed when a thing called a resigner came out. the resigner allows you to essentially unlock the save and resign it to your profile locking it to you. you take the profile id and the device id of your profile and your mu or hdd and up it to the site then download a save from the site and then you resign it load the save and boom up pops some gs. i personally think, like others on the website, that ms just went down the blacklisted list of gamertags and then reset the ones that had a high ammount of gamerscore. i dont know if thats a fact but thats just me.

and has that achievement statement always been under the terms of use?

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

How long before some fool tries suing MS for the "distress and suffering" of being branded a cheat on Live...

wutang138

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »

I think that punishment is way too harsh. Its all supposed to be games and fun. Woop to doo someone has a high gamescore. Who cares!
Pages: [1] 2 3