xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Persistent Xbox Live Sign-up Problems  (Read 137 times)

enginenerd

• Archived User
Persistent Xbox Live Sign-up Problems
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »

I've been trying to sign-up for xbox live since 12/26/07 (that's almost a month).

I know there have been problems with the service since about 12/15/07; however, everytime I speak to customer service they say things are up and running and I should try back in a few hours.

My specific situation is this:  I (stupidly) signed up for a gamertag on xbox.com about 6 months ago in order to enter the Halo 3 sweepstakes.  Therefore, I've got a gamertag I want to use.  Now, when I try to sign-up for xbox live (I was told that I have to recover my gamertag to the console instead of setting up a new gamertag) from the console I got at Christmas, it lets me enter my gamertag, live email address and password.  Then it says "xbox live sign-up is currently unavailable, please try again....." and the sign-up process is terminated.

When I test the xbox live connection everything works great.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Has anyone had any luck signing up through their console.

I would like to get a dialog going to find out what kind of problems people are still having.  Especially since there is an information blackout from M$ on the subject.

enginenerd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

Really?

How do you know that?

vokal4

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

1. xbox live signups are not closed. thats absolute BS. if they were it'd be easier to find and definately all over X-S.
2. I got my 360 shortly after new years and managed to sign up through my console. the first day or two i had trouble completing the signup process but since then my live service has been good.

ill gladly paypal anyone $1 that proves that XBL is not accepting signups till march 1.

enginenerd

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »

well, i finally got signed up last night and do i feel stupid.

i finally found a thread and microsoft knowledge base that said to make sure that you use a "." in your email address instead of a "-".  they both look very similar on the xbox keyboard.

it turns out i was using the wrong symbol.  sigh.

therefore, i'm finally in.

i did call live customer support and tell them that it would be nice if they added the above to the list of questions they ask when they're grilling you.  i did speak to them 6 times during this process and not once did they mention the above.  they're no smarter than me.

hopefully this helps some other dummies out there.