xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gates: Live Outage a 'Hiccup'  (Read 211 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Gates: Live Outage a 'Hiccup'
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 7 23:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From kotaku.com:

Actually we're not entirely sure what he says. He seems to start speaking tongues halfway into his whole reliability-issue-was-a-hiccup comment. He says something about downloading curve, or something about him, or maybe he mentions peanuts, it's hard to say. This is what I got:

"Xbox live, which was immensely risky, we hadn't been in the hardware business. We even had a hiccup in terms of ahhhhh... me not downloading curve... on that one reliability issue we ran into it. But Xbox alone has been fantastic success. A huge asset for the company."

Full Story: kotaku.com | gizmodo.com

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

I love how they keep trying to downplay this.

elocin671

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

haha. they still havent fixed it properly? and im suspended!

This post has been edited by elocin671: Jan 8 2008, 07:28 AM

JBmtk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »

....blah blah blah................but it was working great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »

wtf??   "me not downloading curve"  LOL

If you read it just right it really is funny coming from a guy such as Gates
Like he went crazy or something

This post has been edited by majik655: Jan 8 2008, 07:42 AM

llsTixll

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »

Does anyone know exactly what happened to LIVE?

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

Let me be the first to say  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

bluebus

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »

To me it sounds like "be not down learning curve". I don't know. Makes a little more sense than "me not downloading curve".

vanxman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(llsTixll @ Jan 8 2008, 08:42 AM) *

Does anyone know exactly what happened to LIVE?

Think RROD... Does anyone know exactly what happened there? Exactly what caused it? Actual failure rate? When was the problem identified and rectified? Which serial numbers are expected to be "error free"?

Think this would be any different??? The vast majority of our customers are having a great time not being able to connect to XBL.

I am sure SOMEONE's year-end performance bonus is gonna be (or has already been) tied to knowing the what/when/why/who/how of it all... Unfortunately, that someone will not be a member of the general public or gaming community or media, or as MS calls these people: "SUCKERS"!!!

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:00 AM »

I have to back Mr. Gates here.  I've been on Live since a year after it came out and this was the only time i saw a mass drop in the service.  To be honest though, i would regard myself as a very casual live'r

vanxman

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(DeMoN_DARREN @ Jan 8 2008, 12:13 PM) *

I have to back Mr. Gates here.  I've been on Live since a year after it came out and this was the only time i saw a mass drop in the service.  To be honest though, i would regard myself as a very casual live'r

Kinda agree... I am not upset that XBL was down. What really irks me the way it is/was dealt with. No up-front communications. I think it was like a week of problems before they even acknowledged it in the slightest. And then, the XBOX Support Status usually said there were issues with Live account recoveries, not matchmaking/gameplay, which there definitely were...

I too am quite a casual Live user. But because I use it relatively seldom, I expect it to work when I want to use it.

kgn340

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

"me not downloading curve" ... at which point you could almost see the BSOD in his retinas!

ah ha!!!  i knew it!!!  he *IS* a robot!

he comes to earth to steal all of our money and have sex with our women!!!

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

Sounds like Bill is to busy looking at the spreadsheets, I still have to many matchmaking problems, Forza 2 lists everything twice haha and wont let me join anything.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(vanxman @ Jan 8 2008, 11:01 AM) *

Think RROD... Does anyone know exactly what happened there? Exactly what caused it? Actual failure rate? When was the problem identified and rectified? Which serial numbers are expected to be "error free"?

Think this would be any different??? The vast majority of our customers are having a great time not being able to connect to XBL.

I am sure SOMEONE's year-end performance bonus is gonna be (or has already been) tied to knowing the what/when/why/who/how of it all... Unfortunately, that someone will not be a member of the general public or gaming community or media, or as MS calls these people: "SUCKERS"!!!

Yes, we know specifically what causes it. The board gets very hot around the GPU area. This heat (and the flimsy x-clamps) will allow the board to flex, and break some connections with the GPU. It's a potential result for every SKU out there, though the models with new heatsinks stand a better chance to not experience it ever.

I can assure you, however, that all the servers running XBL code have not and will not ever suffer a RROD.... maybe a BSOD....

torbjorn

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »

plz keep subscribing to live as mr.gates obviosly need a brain transplant..