xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rumor: MS to Compensate Gold Members for LIVE Downtime?  (Read 624 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumor: MS to Compensate Gold Members for LIVE Downtime?
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | January 1 10:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From thebitbag.com:

I got some info from my Microsoft contact after questioning whether or not Gold Members will get thrown a bone for all the downtime they had to sit through. While nothing has been officially announced, they have stated, "...we will definitely be doing something for our Gold members that weren't able to get online over the last week."

Atm all the LIVE problems are still not fully solved although it should be going a lot better already. From Major Nelson:

As people have noticed, we have made good progress. We have a bit more work to do, but we're doing much better now. I know some of you still may be having issues, and we're working on those.

Full Story: thebitbag.com

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Thatd be nice, It's sort of angering me that I cant join games of Call of Duty 4 with my buddy from ontario anymore, Especially since I could have got the trouble-free PS3 version for the same price

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »

Good hope it's an Arcade game or something, I don't mind having that instead of extra days, I've just been playing single player games until they get it sorted out.

I'm surprised it's got this bad, it would be nice to know exactly the thing that went wrong, lets hope they learn from this..

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

How much would/should Microsoft "compensate" us really?  It's been doing this for what?  1 or 2 weeks?  $50 divided by 52 weeks in a year is 96 cents per week.  So they owe us $2 max for this problem(provided they are able to fix this now).  They own us maybe a stupid dashboard theme and picture set at best.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »

Just the gold members that were unable to connect? What about those of us who have been able to log on, but had nobody to play with (cause everyone else couldn't get on)? I think it should be across the board, since I pay to play with others. Multiplayer means nothing when you're the only one in sad.gif

Sircolby45

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Jan 1 2008, 12:34 PM) *

How much would/should Microsoft "compensate" us really?  It's been doing this for what?  1 or 2 weeks?  $50 divided by 52 weeks in a year is 96 cents per week.  So they owe us $2 max for this problem(provided they are able to fix this now).  They own us maybe a stupid dashboard theme and picture set at best.

What people are forgetting is that those are probably the most important and busiest weeks of the year. Everybody is home for the holidays and then there is the people that got a 360 for Christmas dieing to play it, but they cant.

slipstream

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Jan 1 2008, 06:34 PM) View Post

Thats just it though, we DO pay for it. And when I pay for something I expect it to work reliably, thats part of the unspoken promise we get by paying for it. Our money is suppose to ensure that it runs better than any other network out there. If it were free, I would not expect any compensation (and I wouldnt expect it to run as smoothly as it does). I mean, what if someone just bought Shadowrun, or Uno, or any of the countless other games where multiplayer is the main attraction? Because of this their games are useless right now, not to mention those of us who purchased XBLA games then had their 360 break and can now only play them on our new system when we are connected to live (thats over 1/2 my game library right there!) so it comes down to a lot more than not being able to play halo online.

tha754boy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jan 1 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Good hope it's an Arcade game or something, I don't mind having that instead of extra days, I've just been playing single player games until they get it sorted out.

I'm surprised it's got this bad, it would be nice to know exactly the thing that went wrong, lets hope they learn from this..

LOL, I hope its not a Arcade game. They'd probably give out a shitty one that no one plays, like they gave away Carcasonne for the 5 year anniversary. I'd rather have the points to spend on what I want lol.  tongue.gif

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(tha754boy @ Jan 1 2008, 12:34 PM) View Post

LOL, I hope its not a Arcade game. They'd probably give out a shitty one that no one plays, like they gave away Carcasonne for the 5 year anniversary. I'd rather have the points to spend on what I want lol.  tongue.gif

agreed, at first i thought that an arcade game would be good as free weeks tacked on to your current subscription makes little sense, but you make a great point about MS points.  actually, the best option would be to take a certain amount of MS points or an arcade game (even if they make you choose from only a select few).

i just hope that they do some sort of compensation as a gesture for the problems that people have experienced...

Scizor21394

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

This would be good if it were true (IMG:http://llamaguy.com/sonofwaffle.gif)

m82a1

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »

hope its some MS Points smile.gif

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Jan 1 2008, 06:34 PM) *

When you pay in advance for a service it's flawed to assume you can just refund a prorated portion for downtime... part of what you pay for is availability and convenience.  I don't pay them $X a day for whenever they feel like providng service,  I pay $X a month/year for them to give me service all the time.

This is how all services work, the provider doesn't decide when they want to provide service and then only charge for that time, because what they are paid for in part is service, but in large part is the convenience of knowing that service will be there.

Just like I don't choose to pay MS only for the minutes I actually connect to live, it's not very good business to go refunding only the minutes you failed someone.

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(slipstream @ Jan 1 2008, 11:22 AM) View Post

Thats just it though, we DO pay for it. And when I pay for something I expect it to work reliably, thats part of the unspoken promise we get by paying for it. Our money is suppose to ensure that it runs better than any other network out there. If it were free, I would not expect any compensation (and I wouldnt expect it to run as smoothly as it does). I mean, what if someone just bought Shadowrun, or Uno, or any of the countless other games where multiplayer is the main attraction? Because of this their games are useless right now, not to mention those of us who purchased XBLA games then had their 360 break and can now only play them on our new system when we are connected to live (thats over 1/2 my game library right there!) so it comes down to a lot more than not being able to play halo online.

Yeah, but does Microsoft have to give us something worth $10-$20 because we couldn't play online for $2 worth of time?  I would love it if Microsoft decided to give me a free game, but is that really fair to Microsoft?  If this case went to court I'm sure the judge would award everyone $2 which would be fair, but anything more is generous on Microsoft's part, so nobody should expect more than that.

It's like someone buying a xbox 360 for $400, they take it home and it doesn't work and suing Microsoft for $10,000.  Is that fair?  No, they should just get their $400 back, not extra.

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

OMG!!! the irony i posted a thread about this situatution just this morning! aftewr i got stiffed by customer services  ---> MY ORIGINAL THREAD

Beauregardy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

Yall dont understand, not everyone who has xbox live goes to high school. This is one of the major weeks most people get to play games, and for the servers to go down, sucks ass
Pages: [1] 2 3 4