xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless--ip Address Help  (Read 59 times)

sooner_77

• Archived User
Wireless--ip Address Help
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Alright men. I've never tried Xbox Live before tonight.....at least I tried to, anyway. Well my computer down here is wireless, using a USB Adapter and the router is upstairs. I tried hooking an Ethernet cable from the computer to the back of the 360, it got a connection, but it had a problem with an IP address, saying to make sure there isn't another device using that IP address. Well I took my stuff upstairs and ran an Ethernet cable directly from the modem to the 360 and I still had the same problem.....the IP address. So I have no idea what to do or what I need to get this hooked to the net. I would like to be able to run Xbox Live from downstairs, away from the modem, is this possible?. Any suggestions?

shivadow

• Archived User
Wireless--ip Address Help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

make sure your network settings are all DHCP.

if no joy, find out the ip of your router and manually configure (static) the network details.

eg router is 192.168.1.1 then your 360 could be 192.168.1.2 and your PC 192.168.1.3, your Gateway AND DNS will be 192.168.1.1 as your router is doing all the work.

Manually resetting the router to factory defaults and setting all connected devices to DHCP should sort the problem out but it will wipe all passwords and manually configured settings within the router.

This post has been edited by shivadow: Dec 4 2007, 09:36 AM