xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nat Settings  (Read 137 times)

ZeroFX

• Archived User
Nat Settings
« on: February 03, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »

Hey guys I had a question...

Im on a DI 524 (dlink router) and my connection is set to OPEN. this is usually ideal for gaming with xboxlive but my buddies have theyre connection set to MODERATE. ive been fidding around and cant seem to get it to MODERATE, only STRICT. i was wondering if anybody could help me out here?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Nat Settings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »

Ummmm....... you want to change your NAT from open to moderate?
Why?

JAYNO20

• Archived User
Nat Settings
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »

the reason i've heard to change the NAT from anything but open is to glitch, because anything other than open SUCKS!

ZeroFX

• Archived User
Nat Settings
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:21:00 AM »

this is usually ideal for gaming with xboxlive but my buddies have theyre connection set to MODERATE.

having trouble understanding sentences guys?

i want to set it to moderate cuz 2 of my buddies have theirs to moderate. we've tried settings them to open but nothing seems to work. altho i did find something last night that is supposed to be "the fix" for nat settings so maybe ill try it on their routers. but yeah thats why i want it at moderate...so i can play with them (no homo)..otherswise when i try to connect, i cant cuz of the stupid NAT settings.

This post has been edited by ZeroFX: Today, 01:21 PM

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Nat Settings
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »

Further restricting your NAT will not improve the abillity to connect to your friends.  Thats like trying to jump higher by cutting off your legs.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Nat Settings
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

What does each NAT type mean?
The classification system boils down to something called a port-assignment policy.

-Open NAT means that either the port-assignment policy is minimal or the device has a fully compliant version of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled by default.
-Moderate NAT means that the port-assignment policy is minimal, but the device is filtering addresses or ports.
-Strict NAT means the port-assignment policy is aggressive.

What does NAT mean to me and my friends?
Suppose you want to host an Xbox Live game and you're using a router that's classified as open. As the following table shows, you can be confident that your router's NAT type will not keep your friends (who may also be using routers) from finding your session, hearing your voice, and enjoying a great game.

IPB Image

But let's say you're using a router that's a strict NAT. When you want to host a game, you now have something to consider. Anyone else who's behind a router that uses a moderate or strict NAT may not be able to connect to your session.

Let's look at one final example going the other direction: you joining someone else's game. Will you be able to participate fully with everyone in the game? If you have a moderate NAT on your home network, you can get an idea of what may happen by consulting the table. If the players you want to play with are using strict NATs, you will likely experience problems. You may not be able to hear them and they may not be able to hear you. Your Xbox 360 console may not be able to "see" those players at all.

Source

Anyway, as you can see from the chart, you should be able to connect, but if you cannot, then restricting your NAT from open to anything less will not improve the situation.  There are likely other factors at play that are preventing you from connecting to your friends.  Some people have even reported not being able to connect when all parties involved are set to open.

ZeroFX

• Archived User
Nat Settings
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »

ok so you say its not the NAT settings...what the hell could it possibly be?