xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to  (Read 829 times)

Xijar

• Archived User
'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Sep 4 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post

So what?  You may think it's low of Microsoft to block those words but is it any lower then the childish mentality of the people who actually try to use those words on a Microsoft service?  What do you think, that you're sticking it to Microsoft by doing so?  I'm sure if Microsoft actually allowed "I love Linux" to be put on their services, the same kind of stupid reactions would have been expressed about it.    The people complaining about this are probable the same type who think spelling Microsoft with dollars signs (M$) is still funny.    Let's find something better to whine about people.

This guy's got exactly the right idea. This is the most irrelevant news post in quite some time. A lot of words are banned for logical reasons. The "childish" people are the ones who complain, not Microsoft. There was some person in OXM who was whining about not being able to use "Support Our Troops" as their motto and said how anti-American Microsoft is, when the real reason is just that "support" is banned so that people don't write "Xbox Support" or something like that. Can we just get over it. And seriously, the M$ thing is so retarded. Last I heard, businesses exist to make a profit. (Take that, $inclair!)

barman1176

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Sep 4 2007, 07:29 AM) View Post

I don't have a 360, so I can't check, but if it's for copyright reasons, then names like "Spiderman", "Indiana Jones", "Darth Vader" and so on would also be banned.

Otherwise, it's far more likely that M$ don't want people posting names like "Linux Rules", "Microsoft hater", and so on.

And you shouldn't really call people "dumb". Not when you can't even understand the concept of capital letters.

Outstanding. laugh.gif It's like you read my mind after I read his post. Indeed, people can be dumb!

As for the topic at hand, if they censor their own copyrighted names, I see no reason to make a fuss. After all, in an environment solely focused on online gaming, do we really need to have these fanboy-ish taglines?

This is non OS-specific gaming here people. Not to mention, I don't recall receiving any kickback checks from either Bill or Linus for advertising their respective operating systems. I see no need in defining my online persona by my choice of OS.

If I ever do, I hope somebody slaps me. Seriously.

-If you have a M$ tagline you're a lemming, too dumb to use real software. You're also supporting the man and his evil empire. You often have fantasies about sending that Linux fanboy a virus. laugh.gif (Seriously, once in Xlink I heard this dude from Alabama tell everybody that he was gonna "send that dude a vah-ris". I almost had a stroke, I laughed so hard.)

-If you have a Linux tagline you've just GOT to be a genius, right? Gimme a break. More than likely, you're not. It isn't the year 2000 anymore, and using Linux as a way to boost e-cred is....well.....kinda sad. Not to mention, by virtue of the fact that you are using a 360, you are in direct support of the man and his evil empire. Poser. May a herd (flock? gaggle?) of wild penguins trample you underfoot for this treachery.

Nothing but the same vitriolic flamefests can ensue from using such terms in a tagline. OK, I exaggerate a bit, but the potential is there, so they nix (pardon the pun) it before it is an issue. I'll try my best to not lose sleep over this.

QUOTE(Xijar @ Sep 4 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post

"support" is banned so that people don't write "Xbox Support" or something like that.

unsure.gif

*reluctantly crosses "athletic_supporter" off the list of possible gamertags.*

bidomo

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »

he he he, that's true story, I tried it a long ago, as I was fooling around with my girldfriend, but didn't mind it a lot, only got a little surprised

noob2modding

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

M$ has blocked N64 ( Nintendo 64 ) in Halo 3 as a choice for a call number. Thats how far they have gone with this.

gli7ch

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

Hmm... I always had 069 in the Halo 3 Beta....bingo anyone?

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

Doesn't really surprise me, everything has ban lists.  In NFS Underground's multiplayer you couldn't say "cars."   I can't really figure out why, but whatever.  It's a common practice and I'm glad to a degree that they do it.  Why would you put something about linux in your Xbox anyway?  I love linux but I wouldn't put it on my 360 motto, I don't particularly care for MS but I don't think it's wrong of them to have a blacklist.

Also, Linux doesn't suck, it's probably the best OS out there.  Fedora Core is awesome.

Drayshak

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

I was under the impression that all well known trademarks are banned from the motto?

Perhaps a better idea would be to limit more 'vulgar' mottos from being seen by minors, instead of blocking them entirely. The filter is aweful anyway, there's usually a way to get around it.

EyEcOn

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

add an exclamation mark at the end and you can have it. ie- Linux! works for me.

hpram99

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

I think this is awesome, I laughed at myself for a while as it is something I would have done to my products!

It amazes me that some people think this is "going too far" and Microsoft is "Sad" for doing such a thing.

Let's think about this for a second, a lone programmer threw in a word filter, har har, la dee da.

and you make it a big enough deal to actually complain?

seriously, wtf?  Such is life, move on.

Monte2

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

I thought it was funny that I couldn't use "No fat chicks" when I first got my 360.

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Sep 3 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post

So what?  You may think it's low of Microsoft to block those words but is it any lower then the childish mentality of the people who actually try to use those words on a Microsoft service?  What do you think, that you're sticking it to Microsoft by doing so?  I'm sure if Microsoft actually allowed "I love Linux" to be put on their services, the same kind of stupid reactions would have been expressed about it.    The people complaining about this are probable the same type who think spelling Microsoft with dollars signs (M$) is still funny.    Let's find something better to whine about people.

Isn't whining childish mentality?

beerchug.gif

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

On the one hand it's sad that they need to censor so much. I can't see any harm in allowing Linux to be be used. I'm not about to add "I hump Linux boxes" as my motto but I'm not opposed to it either. On the other hand people are so much more brazen in the semi-anonymous world of the internet compared to your local department store so I can see why this is necessary. Shy 15 year old boys open up and tell you "My nuts taste sweet in your mouth". The censoring doesn't really stop the madness though because they can't really censor out weird made up ways to spell words. In the future I could see censoring speech easier in a way because it would censor the sound rather than the spelling. I can only imagine the crazy ways people would talk to get around this...bad news for the english language.

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »

Someone ought to try "OSX ROCKS" tongue.gif

twisted_oak

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Trex666 @ Sep 4 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post

All the items that Marks and Spencers sell are their own, yelling a brand or store other than their own names would not get you kicked off the premises.
What about Tux? Is that banned?
"TuxLover88"

Yelling is way different than having a motto. Ok, maybe I used the wrong analogy, or maybe the wrong word. Network is too loose. How about.... On their farking SERVER(s)? When I use that terminology, it is actually more closely resembles what I was trying to get across. If you don't like the server, choose another one. Um, maybe a Linux based server? Oh, I forgot you really can't do anything outwardly cool on that OS.

Just because you pay admission to a service doesn't mean you get to advertise others while you are there. A service is not like a department store. Anything that is typed or carried out while you are using the "service" reflects on the service. It is not as tangible as physically being in a store. The statement in store would not reflect on the store it would reflect on you.

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

to the dumbass who called everyone here a dumbass a few pages back saying it was copyright related.

Why can I put GM or Ford... or EA or rockstar... or any of the thousands of other protected names  out there?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4