xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to  (Read 830 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to Microsoft
Posted by XanTium | September 4 00:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From riverag.com:

I love Linux and the XBOX 360, so yesterday I tried to include the word "LINUX" in the motto section on XBOX Live. I was stunned when I got a message saying "Your motto contains inappropriate language. Please try again".

I tried this myself to make sure it wasn't any kinda hoax ... I tried to put just the word 'linux' as motto to my gamertag and indeed ... Microsoft refused it. I also tried 'unix' ... but that didn't pass the Redmond filter either. Seriously, how low can you go MS?

phiqtion

• Archived User
'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

this.. is just... sad.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

So what?  You may think it's low of Microsoft to block those words but is it any lower then the childish mentality of the people who actually try to use those words on a Microsoft service?  What do you think, that you're sticking it to Microsoft by doing so?  I'm sure if Microsoft actually allowed "I love Linux" to be put on their services, the same kind of stupid reactions would have been expressed about it.    The people complaining about this are probable the same type who think spelling Microsoft with dollars signs (M$) is still funny.    Let's find something better to whine about people.

This post has been edited by g8crapachino: Sep 4 2007, 06:13 AM

xtriker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Sep 4 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post

So what?  You may think it's low of Microsoft to block those words but is it any lower then the childish mentality of the people who actually try to use those words on a Microsoft service?  What do you think, that you're sticking it to Microsoft by doing so?  I'm sure if Microsoft actually allowed "I love Linux" to be put on their services, the same kind of stupid reactions would have been expressed about it.    The people complaining about this are probable the same type who think spelling Microsoft with dollars signs (M$) is still funny.    Let's find something better to whine about people.

Respond skill + 5

[MF]Acid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »

Well I did some testing myself and I guess you can't have it like this

L inux

Lin ux

L I N U X

same goes for unix also

if ya put a space in front of it will not let you do that also so I guess you have to put a ? in it or some other character so the filter doesn't detect it..

will lets face it in the eyes of M$ linux is a bad word

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

It's childish if you ask me. Someone should call and complain IPB Image

Software2

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

While I don't really care too much about this, it would be rather interesting to see a list of all the banned words.  Is firefox banned? How about Sony?

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Sep 3 2007, 10:48 PM) *

If someone was to put something like "linux user" as a gamertag motto on XBL, that's childish?  Right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

-and no one would care if someone was allowed to put "I love Linux" as a tagline somewhere, if they allowed it.

It's flagged as "inappropriate" just because MS doesn't like their competition.

Has anyone tried "OSX"?

edit:  Someone should try "Linus Torvalds" and "Richard Stallman".

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Sep 4 2007, 06:37 AM

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

... and any of this matters why? who cares... it's just a motto :-\

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

here are some other words M$ might ban: ipod, playstation, wii, blue-ray, and cock sucker mother fuck3r. lol

This post has been edited by tomgreen99200: Sep 4 2007, 07:01 AM

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(LightningStruckMyXbox @ Sep 3 2007, 11:04 PM) View Post

It's childish if you ask me. Someone should call and complain IPB Image

I should have been more specific now that I think about it. I meant it was childish of Microsoft for blocking the word.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »

absolutely LAME  grr.gif

aholmes187

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »

yea i discoverd this a few months back, haha i used a 1 and it worked. yourmomdotcomxx is the live tag, haha havent been on in a while eh

CoLD FiRE

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »

I tried Sony and Wii and ofcourse it didn't let me include them
but surprisingly it didn't even let me include Windows in my motto

btw I could have a better one "Win Vista sux"  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)   sure it refuses it as "sucks"  

(IMG:http://jsa.jeeran.com/motto.jpg)

MartinC

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Sep 4 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post

So you think the word "Linux" is inappropriate as a motto? I think it's inappropriate to censor a competing product. These Microsoft customers have bought a XBOX 360 console & are paying an XBOX Live membership they should be able to use what ever they want as their motto (as long as it's not indecent).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4