xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft's Shane Kim Unconvinced by PlayStation Home  (Read 434 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft's Shane Kim Unconvinced by PlayStation Home
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | May 14 12:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From next-gen.biz:

In an interview with the widely-read ShackNews, Microsoft Game Studios exec Shane Kim said that Microsoft has no plans to layer a 3D environment over Xbox Live in the same vein as the upcoming PlayStation Home online service.

I don't think we need anything like that," said Kim. "I've spent some time with the Linden Lab guys [developers of Second Life]. To try to build Second Life on Xbox Live--or YouTube, Facebook, any of those big social networking services and sites--it's a lot of work. It's all software, and we're the software company in this market here.

"I doubt [Sony's] ability to implement it and execute it in a really rich and compelling way. PlayStation Network is not Xbox Live, it's not even close. To think about layering [Home] on top of that--wow. The hardest part is not even creating the system, it's regulating the behavior and all of that too. Boy, that's a massive investment in infrastructure. I actually believe that most gamers will always find more value in what we have on Xbox Live and now Games for Windows Live and how we're building that out, which really started all about gaming features and now has added more like instant messaging, Video Marketplace, etcetera. That's what I think is a much better approach, and that's what our approach is going to be," Kim said.

Full Story: next-gen.biz and shacknews.com

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

From what I've seen so far PSHome looks good (apart from the relocating thing). The thing I don't like about it is that it's not integrated into XMB like Market Place is with Xbox Live. But who knows it's only in the closed beta phase, things may improve, I wouldn't right it of until it's final release.

JiggSaw

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »

Good. I'm glad the main focus for Xbox Live still gaming. I can do all the extra fluff on the pc. The only feature I want added to xbox live is Friend descriptions. I always forget where I know someone from. Whether I know them from the internet, a party, school friend or whatever. I just want to be able to leave descriptions for my friends. Everything after that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

This post has been edited by JiggSaw: May 14 2007, 04:57 PM

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »

...is it me or did he just hint at a possible collaberation between youtube & myspace (more popular than facebook)

hmmm, we'll have to wait and see how this unfolds... the idea of myspace + xbox live... wow, that would make M$ a lot of money. let alone xbox live + youtube. phew!

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

Just because it is not all tied into a single environment does not mean it will suck. There is nothing wrong with separating them into individual entities. You can still share the same authentication, and splitting things up makes it easier to manage. Just because it is not MS's way, doe snot mean it is the only good way.

This post has been edited by quall: May 14 2007, 05:24 PM

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »

Xbox Live and Youtube would be immense.

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(quall @ May 14 2007, 12:58 PM) *

Just because it is not all tied into a single environment does not mean it will suck. There is nothing wrong with separating them into individual entities. You can still share the same authentication, and splitting things up makes it easier to manage. Just because it is not MS's way, doe snot mean it is the only good way.

muhaha.gif

if you work for MS it's the ONLY way wink.gif  I guess your POV becomes slightly tainted when someone is lining your pockets weekly, eh?

as for the YouTube comment, I think he had XNA in mind.

This post has been edited by gehx: May 14 2007, 05:37 PM

rocarmy4life

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

i dont give a damn what the guy says... home is innovative as hell and i think MS wishes they could pull it off... its seriously a brilliant idea IF it can be done on such a massive scale.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

kim be talkin that smack. you can't deny Home will be somewhat of a success. will it be as big as sony hypes it up? i don't think so. sony is trying to accomplish a million things in one piece of software. not that it can't be done but it is a big deal.

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

PSHome looks kind of cool but I think it's one of those things that people will get tired of quickly. Only so much to do / explore. If you want to play make believe install second life where it's at least user driven content and lots to do.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »

i dont think that new sony 3d world is all that good... it's basically just a fancy way to do what xbox live pretty much does... but like the guy said xbox live network is far better than sonys when is all said and done... i like the way xbox live is setup better anyways it gets straight to the point.

p.s. i aint a microsoft fanboy either... i just dont see anything special with that new sony thing.

NCspecV81

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

I feel bad for all the guys who bought a ps3 to play a reincarnation of SIMS.

Nytemunkey

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(HamSandwhich @ May 14 2007, 06:06 PM) *

Xbox Live and Youtube would be immense.

If only 360 had a browser we could go to youtube, myspace, and facebook (better than myspace)

yourM0M

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »

im just waiting for the $50-60 price tag for an upgraded dashboard......id rather play the sims than mess with Home.....the demo video ive seen was pretty basic, about 20 ppl in that lobby and it would be crowded.....idk we will see once its actually launched right after GT4 right ahahhah lolz  laugh.gif

edude03

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

Personally, I believe that a port of Second Life to Xbox 360 would be a tremendous advantage to Microsoft and linden labs considering that most consumers wouldn't realize that Second Life already exists (therefore they would assume that Microsoft made a system that already 2.5million people use) and linden Lab would get a flood of new users that just decided to hop in because it is free.

I don't see, however, why there would be a lot of work to do to port it over. I could be going out on a limb here but wouldn't they just have to tweak the engine to run with the DirectX suite? Then apply some minor adjustments for the control system and design and implement a distribution strategy? For example after doing the software tweaks, they could implement a system that uses Microsoft Points to get money in Second Life.

However, I don't know. I may program but I can't do any GUI related work unless its DirectX, OpenGL, Delphi or Visual Basic :'(